Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Idiomatic Expressions - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

buckie74

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:28 am   Reply with quote         

Okay, so we in the USA say, "It's raining cats and dogs." I believe the French say something like, "It's raining ropes." The French have the better idea, I think. The kids I teach love learning these expressions. Could you please give me idiomatic expressions from places other than the USA? A visual example would be great, too. Thanks!

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:37 am   Reply with quote         

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:06 am   Reply with quote         

See which way the cat jumps
(AU) If you see which way the cat jumps, you postpone making a decision or acting until you have seen how things are developing.

bigbuck

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:07 am   Reply with quote         

She'll be apples
(AU) A very popular old Australian saying meaning everything will be all right, often used when there is some doubt.

bigbuck

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:08 am   Reply with quote         

Beyond the black stump
(AU) An Australian idiom idicating that even if you go as far as you can, the black stump is still a little further.

bigbuck

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:11 am   Reply with quote         

Mad as a cut snake
(AU) One who is mad as a cut snake has lost all sense of reason, is crazy, out of control.

conaircan.

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:31 am   Reply with quote         

Hakunna Matatta - It means No Worries...

from the Walt Disney's Timon & Pumbba... Very Happy Good for Kids. Wink

annajon

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:29 am   Reply with quote         

See how a cow catches a hare is the Dutch way of saying see how a cat jumps

annajon

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:30 am   Reply with quote         

Walk with windmills is another way of saying crazy - but I think it is milder then Barking mad in English.

annajon

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:40 am   Reply with quote         

Your Cats and Dogs, are our Pipestalks - And when I did an archeological dig at my old house in Rotterdam, it seemed that was totally true! Because I found an enourmous amount of clay pipes in various states of brakege. The cheap clay pipes were the first sign of our modern consumer sociaty - use and throw away

It is raining Pipestalks is when we say it is raining cats and dogs[/img]

I had discovered an old sewerpit that was used to disgard household rubbish in the 18th century and 19th century - belonging to a house that was there before ours was build.

sonic3

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:20 am   Reply with quote         

'Camp as christmas'
Errr... because christmas is camp Laughing

Granulated

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:25 am   Reply with quote         

buckie74 wrote:
Okay, so we in the USA say, "It's raining cats and dogs." I believe the French say something like, "It's raining ropes." The French have the better idea, I think. The kids I teach love learning these expressions. Could you please give me idiomatic expressions from places other than the USA? A visual example would be great, too. Thanks!

It's ironic you say "from places other than the USA" because the 'raining cats and dogs' idiom originates from England as do many other well known ones.

Anyhoo... here's a site that has an exhaustive list with details of possible origins and meaning definintions.
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/a.html

sonic3

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:25 am   Reply with quote         

'Carrot and stick'
If someone offers a carrot and stick, they offer an incentive to do something combined with the threat of punishment.

buglover

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:43 am   Reply with quote         

annajon wrote:
Walk with windmills is another way of saying crazy - but I think it is milder then Barking mad in English.

...it's like fighting against windmills is a german expression for a unwinnable situation.

Based on the story of Don Quijote from the spanish writer Cervantes, where the hero goes crazy and takes the mills for giants he has to fight.

Think the dutch expression comes form their own mills, which they have a lot (lets say MILLIONS!). No wonder they go crazy in combination with all the drugs they take all day long... instead to the german expression that refers to our great literate tradition. Razz

Cheers BL

Edit: Just saw at grans link that the english expression is "tilting at windmills" so that it looks we are not the only ones with a great literate tradition Embarassed Maybe even the dutch have something like that Shocked

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:44 am   Reply with quote         

buglover wrote:
annajon wrote:

...it's like fighting against windmills is a german expression for a unwinnable situation.

Based on the story of Don Quijote from the spanish writer Cervantes, where the hero goes crazy and takes the mills for giants he has to fight.

Think the dutch expression comes form their own mills, which they have a lot (lets say MILLIONS!). No wonder they go crazy in combination with all the drugs they take all day long... instead to the german expression that refers to our great literate tradition. Razz

Cheers BL

Fight the Beer queue
is our Fight against the windmills

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Idiomatic Expressions - Reply to topic