Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Happy Fourth of July Everyone - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

YerPalAl

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:25 am   Reply with quote         

The back story:

60 years ago, here in Durham, Mrs. Alice Walker organized Durham's first neighborhood Fourth of July parade. This is not a city-sponsored event, just friends and neighbors getting together to celebrate the day. There may have been earlier ones, but this is now recognized as the oldest continual celebration of it's kind, its happened for 60 years, each and every year, and it is a wonderfully special happening. Here are some photos from today.

Here is some of the prep work, honoring countries around the world by hanging their flags as well.

And as always the kid's excitement is contagious.

And the parade begins:

We even allowed our northern friends to come along for the ride.

This little girl later stated she thought she saw Arcaico in the crowd, but she was fortunately mistaken and therefore safe.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy day.

nat_g31

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:34 am   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:

This little girl later stated she thought she saw Arcaico in the crowd, but she was fortunately mistaken and therefore safe.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy day.

Laughing

Have a great 4th Al!

“I had a dream I could buy my way to heaven, when I awoke I spent that on a necklace.”~~~ Kanye West
Scrumpy

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:38 am   Reply with quote         

4th of July? Oh yeah...isn't that the day Paul Reveere dumped tea into New York harbour, ending the Civil War?

Wink

Have a great party U.S.A. Cool

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:43 am   Reply with quote         

Thanks Nat. This was a really sweet event.

At least scrumpy knew this wasn't the day the Nazis attacked Pearl Harbor. Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

anfa

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:43 am   Reply with quote         

Well thank the French then! You never do, but they had a big hand in it!

YerPalAl

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:45 am   Reply with quote         

Au contraire, I do. If it had not been for Admiral DeGrasse we would most likely still be a colony.

anfa

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:56 am   Reply with quote         

If that's a Union Jack(I hate using that term because it's only a Union Jack when it is flying on a mast. Otherwise it is the Union Flag and also you have it the right way up, WOOT. If it is flown upside down it is a distress signal) it shouldn't have the red diagonals. They came in a lot later to represent Ireland as part of the United Kingdom. It is the cross of St. Patrick. They are not part of the UK now but it still stands. And we still have Irish regiments in our Army. Smile

splodge

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:23 pm   Reply with quote         

Yorkshire Day: 1st August 2009 Very Happy

Hallcross Toots
cafn8d

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:24 pm   Reply with quote         

Nice neighborhood party, Al! Makes me reminiscent of the block parties we had in my childhood neighborhood, including a little parade of decorated bicycles. Smile

Oh, and

HAPPY 4th OF JULY!

anfa

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:47 pm   Reply with quote         

Are fireworks controlled in the US. I think they are gettig a bit stricter about then laws here, but the build up to November 5th is just mad. Every nutter you can imagine has explosives and not afraid to use them to give their mates a good laugh!! These little shits threw a banger at me but I followed it and booted it straight back and they all legged it! That was a quite few years ago. I don't think I could do that now because the shit they get their hands on now, they can blow the shit out of telephone boxes. I've seen it round the shops! The young ones are mental to begin with.. but with explosives!!! OOOOOOH!!!

Tesore

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:50 pm   Reply with quote         

Good story Al, thanks Very Happy

YerPalAl

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:51 pm   Reply with quote         

You can buy fireworks here, but we always let Chuck do it. He was president of the rocketry club and a pyrotech all his life. I just sit back with the EMS people and watch. Laughing

splodge

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:01 pm   Reply with quote         

we had a huge 4th of July party while i was living down London, the Australians did the pyrotechs, they was so drunk and stoned and used there joints to light the blue touch papper, truly amazing no one got hurt Laughing

light the blue touch papper??? do you say that in America?

Hallcross Toots
anfa

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:05 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey al, How many US State flags still have the Union Jack/Flag in the corner or somewhere about! Smile

anfa

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:15 pm   Reply with quote         

Ok there is one. I'm sure a few states have revamped their flags. Maryland's is really funny. Graphic designer on acid!! Laughing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Happy Fourth of July Everyone - Reply to topic