Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - I'm going to piss people off and then go on vacation. - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

anabe

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:56 pm   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:
HOLY cow, I feel the love just ooooooooozing out of the walls around here. Rolling Eyes

All right, listen up now.

This place has always had a penchant for tough love and I mean that sincerely. There's a lot to learn here and a lot of good people and I firmly believe that ReyRey is one.

This is also a place of egos unbounded and that is an important aspect.

Folks, this is the way it works. Art runs on ego. If you don't believe in your work you shouldn't try to do art. Its the ego that allows you to get up and try again day after day after day and not give up, EVEN WHEN IT SEEMS NO ONE ELSE IN THE WORLD BELIEVES IN YOU OR WHAT YOU DO!

That's the way of it. Always has, always will be.

And egos, often, aren't very pretty. When I started here it was with the understanding that people were going to judge my work sometimes with a "THIS SUCKS!"

Hell, they still do.

But you have to learn to take it, and glean the bits of useful critiques out of the slaps in the face. It happens here, its a part of the site. It will happen other places too if you show your work. So what I am saying is learn to take it, put some armor over your feelings and get on with chopping. I'm sorry if your feeling get hurt, mine were too and 2rey's have been, it comes with the turf. Its not going to stop, just learn to shrug it off, slap back a little, understand that 90% of the time it was well intentioned and the 10% that it wasn't is well below the average on the outside.

Come on, let's freaking chop.

I have always admired ReyRey's work and exceptional skills, and have no doubt he's a "good guy". But that doesn't mean I have to accept this "tough love" method, without saying something to the contrary, right??
I'm always grateful for "useful critique", but I think it's NOT encouraging to anyone, especially not to new members, to occasionally "glance" at the daily contest and vote for those that "suck the least". How's that constructive?

splodge

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:12 pm   Reply with quote         

over the years we have some real sucky posts up to 10 a day when new school groups do a mass log-in, 1.000 's a year, least sucky is indeed a great compliment

Hallcross Toots
ReyRey

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:15 pm   Reply with quote         

TJ wrote:
bigbuck wrote:
anabe wrote:
IMO, it's always best to teach by example.
When was the last time you took the time to chop, vote or make constructive comments to those who have come here to learn?

Ummmmmm...
He chopped all the way through the H2H april-may
http://photoshopcontest.com/tournament/7/index.html

He chopped dailies only a month ago
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/155084/display.html
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/155196/display.html

He posted layered files for others to examine (as he has done many times)
http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=249805&highlight=#249805
http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=12136&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

He's been busy making socks....
http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=12061&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

....and posting helpful 'learning' type threads (again as he has done many times in the past)
http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=11823&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

He has great list of favourite entries which shows he has an interest in this site
http://photoshopcontest.com/favorites/14171/index.html?l=0&

...of course he can still post some nonsensical stuff in the forums from time to time, but I think we can forgive him of that. He means well and has the site's best interest at heart.

He is one of the 'good guys' here, and he has been very helpful to me in my years here.

Brad.

That'll be $50 via paypal thanks Rey! Laughing

This is all good.
But can't help what I felt when I read that first comment on how all the chops he looked at sucked and didn't what to take the time to look closer. It's about everyone that's trying to do there best and to have the Almighty kick them is sh*t!

I once looked up to Rey, But have absolutely no respect for him now. I feel this thread has done more damage then good and has hurt some good people.

I thought about PMing him and said to my self, why bother, he'll just talk himself out of it... and I'll look like the ass once again. Like I did just now. Laughing Laughing Laughing

This thread is dead to me now. Time to move on and chop for the fun and not because I'm pissed.

See you guys in the dailies,
Cheers.

Come on TJ. You can't be that serious. Read my comments again and if you read ALL the words you will see more than just the word suck. No where does it say everyone sucks. I never said people suck. The ideas do. Lot's of mine do too. Next time I won't say "suck". Are you really that delicate???
If you really read my comments you would see someone who cares about this site. I also have a harsh sense of humor sometimes. But that is just me. You never said anything that people didn't like? Should they lose all respect for you because of that? That's just silly. Do you not respect everyone you disagree with. Really? If you want to hate me, that is up to you. I have no ill feelings for anyone here. Blue Lurker yells at me all the time (like a big brother) and I have all the respect for him in the world. Sometimes I go out of bounds and people (Mods) kick me back into play. I have a cutting edge tongue sometimes but there is always a well meaning undertone. Don't take it personally. Just ignore me. My family and best friends know to just let me go when I get on a roll. They know I am just a bit crazy but they still love me. I still like you. really. You can hate me if you want. You won't be the first person. Laughing Just give me another chance bud. Very Happy You'll see. I'm not ALWAYS a dick head. (just sometimes) Wink
Where is Showcase when I need him??

ReyRey

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:21 pm   Reply with quote         

By the way. The "which sucks less" line that I used I pulled straight from one of my entries. Chicken wrote. "this one sucks less"
I loved that comment.
He also commented on my H2H entry. "I like this piece of shit more."
I took it as a compliment.
Peace and love Peace and Love.
Angel

anfa

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:31 pm   Reply with quote         

I done a drunken chop for tomorrow! YAY!!! Smile

YerPalAl

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:51 pm   Reply with quote         

anfa wrote:

. . . and this is different how? Laughing

anabe wrote:

I have always admired ReyRey's work and exceptional skills, and have no doubt he's a "good guy". But that doesn't mean I have to accept this "tough love" method, without saying something to the contrary, right??
I'm always grateful for "useful critique", but I think it's NOT encouraging to anyone, especially not to new members, to occasionally "glance" at the daily contest and vote for those that "suck the least". How's that constructive?

A. Slap him back, but do it with love.

B. Like I said, its tough love, but everyone gets it sometimes. Anabe, saying something sucks less is not an unheard of comment, If it really hurts your feeling, just remember this,

"ReyRey's an ignoramus with a really tiny dink."

And it will make you feel better . . . . I promise.

All kidding aside, (not that I was kidding about the ignoramus part), just as a passing point, look at the passion ReyRey has stirred up. There has been great enthusiasm and passions stirred and some people who haven't chopped recently might and some people might take a longer look at what they do. A lot of us wish Rey would try a different tact to stir things up . . . . . a lot of us, Rey, Wink but he did stir up a lot of emotion.

You have to admit that.

splodge

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:54 pm   Reply with quote         

can i lock or delete this forum? it's so old and negative

Hallcross Toots
anfa

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:56 pm   Reply with quote         

I think it still has a bit charm!
Edit: I did come in to it late though mate. Let me have my fun too!

anfa

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:08 pm   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:
anfa wrote:

I know a lot of my posts have been done when I'm drunk. But I felt I had to post because of all the complaining about the lack of entries in the contests lately. The more of us that post the better the site is going to be! Wow, get my drunken talk, I'm being positive and not taking the piss out of anyone! I want a medal!!! I love this place! Very Happy

ReyRey

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:16 pm   Reply with quote         

anfa wrote:
YerPalAl wrote:
anfa wrote:

I know a lot of my posts have been done when I'm drunk. But I felt I had to post because of all the complaining about the lack of entries in the contests lately. The more of us that post the better the site is going to be! Wow, get my drunken talk, I'm being positive and not taking the piss out of anyone! I want a medal!!! I love this place! Very Happy

Wow Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
You ARE drunk. Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing

buckie74

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:19 pm   Reply with quote         

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:27 pm   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:
[

Folks, this is the way it works. Art runs on ego. If you don't believe in your work you shouldn't try to do art. Its the ego that allows you to get up and try again day after day after day and not give up, EVEN WHEN IT SEEMS NO ONE ELSE IN THE WORLD BELIEVES IN YOU OR WHAT YOU DO!

That's the way of it. Always has, always will be.

Halalooya Brother! Thats how it is for me.
Well said Alan!
And I don't suck! Laughing Laughing Laughing
At least I don't think I do! Shocked Confused

ReyRey

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:41 pm   Reply with quote         

I can't believe people are so quick to hate me. Shocked
Really?? Oh well..I would apologize but I'll probably screw it up with a punch line that nobody gets. Doh!
Forgive me. WWJD?

ReyRey

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:48 pm   Reply with quote         

SPLODGE!!! Would you stop me for Christ's sake!! I can't stop!!!
Kill this thread....Or grab some popcorn. Cool
Thank God I'm going on vacation tomorrow. Very Happy

ReyRey

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:55 pm   Reply with quote         

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - I'm going to piss people off and then go on vacation. - Reply to topic