Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - During Apollo 11 Where were you? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:25 pm   Reply with quote         

Paul Von Stetina wrote:
I was up in an old oak tree in my friends front yard, when his old man came out and said "they did it, we landed on the moon!" back then, it was a large tree, now when I see it, I think that tree is not very big, but I always think about that moment in history when I'm in the old neighborhood. Later that night I remember standing in my front yard looking real hard at the moon, to try to see anything flying around. Laughing

Bet that tree is frigging huge now! Shocked

TJ

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:38 pm   Reply with quote         

carmine665 wrote:
I was born July 22nd, 1969. (I know i'm old.) Sad Very Happy

Aug 19th '63 Confused I was only a kid, but do remember a beer in one hand and sippin' Crown from the other....

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:10 pm   Reply with quote         

Both of my parents worked for Grumman Corp. My dad was an aeronautical engineer; my mother was a secretary. Both of them worked on the LM (Lunar Module) project. (LM is usually pronounced "lem." It was used as the "lifeboat" for the astronauts in the ill-fated Apollo 13 flight.)

The story goes that my mother was in the car driving home when the moon landing was taking place. She was listening to it on the radio and was getting really excited by it... until the sirens came up behind her and insisted she pull over. The officer asked why she was speeding, and she said she was very excited to hear the radio coverage of the moon landing. The officer said, "That's happening now??" He let Mom go on her way "but drive carefully" and he sped off on his way to find a television. I don't know where my dad was, probably at home watching it on television. I missed out since I wasn't born until 1973.

splodge

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:13 pm   Reply with quote         

i was up there on the moon directing lunar lander in for the landing, it was a dirty job, but someone had to do it!!!

Hallcross Toots
Cartoon Contractor

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:17 pm   Reply with quote         

I was 12 also. Watched it at home with the family. I remember it well because it was my namesake on the moon. Neil wasn't that common a name then and I just loved it! And he spelled it the same as I did. Not the common spelling of Neal. Very Happy

mikey

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:20 pm   Reply with quote         

I was throwing up on my high chair. Razz

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:36 am   Reply with quote         

in 1969 I wasnt this:

or even that:

but it could be (I believe at least) that I was HIM in my recent life, than I had a damn good trip whilst men landing on moon. Laughing

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:50 am   Reply with quote         

Can't say I was alive when this event occurred. Probably the only space-related thing more memorable to me than seeing a shuttle launch is having shuttle bits and pieces raining down all over the counties around me. Confused

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:44 am   Reply with quote         

cafn8d wrote:
Both of my parents worked for Grumman Corp. My dad was an aeronautical engineer; my mother was a secretary. Both of them worked on the LM (Lunar Module) project. (LM is usually pronounced "lem." It was used as the "lifeboat" for the astronauts in the ill-fated Apollo 13 flight.)

The story goes that my mother was in the car driving home when the moon landing was taking place. She was listening to it on the radio and was getting really excited by it... until the sirens came up behind her and insisted she pull over. The officer asked why she was speeding, and she said she was very excited to hear the radio coverage of the moon landing. The officer said, "That's happening now??" He let Mom go on her way "but drive carefully" and he sped off on his way to find a television. I don't know where my dad was, probably at home watching it on television. I missed out since I wasn't born until 1973.

Okay..........my story is a bit closer to Caf's.................sorta...... Very Happy

I was 16 years old and on a bus trip around the U.S........we were at Cape Kennedy two weeks before the moon launch, and I saw Apollo 11 on the pad......but even cooler, we got to go inside the huge (huge is an understatement!!!!) assembly building, and they had just begun hoisting the LM for Apollo 12 to finish completing the assembly of the Saturn V rocket......

By time Apollo 11 landed on the moon, we were in Dearborn Michigan, spending the night in some high school gymnasium.....and somehow, someone scraped up a really bad B/W TV with rabbit ears.......BUT!!...we got to see it happen....!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

So yeah...........I guess that makes me old......... Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

annajon

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:06 am   Reply with quote         

There are a lot of old people around I notice.... Embarassed

I would have to consult with my parents first, to find out when exactly they bought the black and white tv, before or after the summer vacation. If it was before, then I may have actually seen the moonlanding on the news on the day it happened, if after the vacation, then..... I must have seen it in the reruns.

We only got our first television 1969 - you see - when I was 12 or 13 (see above) and only then because my mom thought that it was good educational stuff... she had heard that schoolchildren talk about programmes on television in the lessons, and she did not want us children to be behind... Very Happy
Good old mon... Laughing Laughing Laughing

YerPalAl

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:33 am   Reply with quote         

annajon wrote:

Yeah . . . . . . . . and your point is? Sad

Laughing

annajon

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:35 am   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:
annajon wrote:

Yeah . . . . . . . . and your point is? Sad

Laughing

I was in good company............. Shocked

I think?

Paul Von Stetina

Post Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:38 am   Reply with quote         

This guy was a big part of the moonwalk, and so many other things, he was like family, RIP Walter, real news has died with you Crying or Very sad

glennhanna

Post Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:41 am   Reply with quote         

Where were you when Lincoln got shot? Remember that? It took so long to get the word out, it started the ball rolling that became the internet. RIP Abe.

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:37 am   Reply with quote         

Tarmac wrote:
Just out of curiosity, where were you, and what were you doing when Apollo 11 landed on the moon?

That is a good question! Smile

I was at home... and I missed it!!! Question Shocked
My parents aren't very communicative. They didn't talk to me about it. I figure that evening, mom was probably too busy at cleaning the house, and dad was surely too busy at reading the newspapers and sleeping in his rocking chair. Probably I took a bath and slept early. Evil or Very Mad
But the day after, I saw the Apollo mission & men on the moon... I think at lunch, if I remember well... yeah TV was on every lunch or diner... no talk, just looking TV, whatever if it was something good or crap. In 69, we had only 4 TV channels. 2 French and 2 English channels. The Apollo mission was surely on the 4 channels at the same time... no one could miss it! Somewhere I was amazed, but not totally conscious of how special was the exploit. Confused

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - During Apollo 11 Where were you? - Reply to topic