Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - What's wrong here? - Reply to topic

rett435

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:03 am   Reply with quote         

I'm not looking for sugar-coated a$$-ki$$ing replies. I just really want to know what I could have done (better/differently) with this post.

P.S. I knew before I posted that the perspective between the body and the shank of the "cut" lock was far from being perfect. I would just like to see some (very) critical analysis of my entry.

Thanks

Matt Armes (aka Rett435)

buglover

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:09 am   Reply with quote         

Hi Matt,

first the technical part: You used a focused spotlight to place the attention on the opened lock. That's good but such kind of focused spotlight would drop a harder (not that smooth) shadows. IMO: As light and shadows are the main aspect in your image they are a bit to inaccurate to get the wow effect.

the emotional part: Having two locked locks as source, it is kind of obvious to open them without playing with the "why?" Means that I miss a story like bank robbery (adding some gold bars behind or a the hands of a thief in front), freedom of slavery (arms or legs)...

Cheers BL

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:59 am   Reply with quote         

Sometimes our ideas don't always come off as well as anticipated, and sometimes they just don't do as well as we think they will.
It's no biggie, we've all posted stuff like this.
Look here for the technical stuff..

But more importantly, a killer chop generally comes with a killer idea, or tells a story. When I saw the source, I kept thinking of this one..
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/127278/loss-of-hope.html
Anyway, you took a pic of closed padlocks and made them opened/cut. Just a bit boring I suppose. The technical stuff was only minor, it's more the idea in a source like this.
Hope this helps.
Cheers and keep on choppin'!

rett435

Post Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:26 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks for the comments guys! Duly noted. I guess I just need to take a little more time with my chops. Improving my skills wouldn't hurt much either.

Also thanks for the PSD buglover. It really helped seeing what should have been done!

Thanks again,

Matt

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - What's wrong here? - Reply to topic