Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Buying a digital SLR camera - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

DaVinci

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:32 am   Reply with quote         

cafn8d wrote:
Don't dismiss Olympus's offerings. Blue Lurker and I love our dSLRs. I have the older E-510. They're lighter and generally less expensive than Canon and Nikon, and the kit lenses are actually pretty highly rated. Plus, the camera has optical image stabilization (sensor shift, NOT some gimmicky digital filter). This means being able to hold your camera at larger f-stops and longer exposures without a tripod, and you do not have to pay extra for Image Stabilized (and super heavy) lenses. I find the interface easy to use, too.

Your best bet is to take a CF card to the camera shops (and places like Best Buy), and ask to try out the floor models. Play with the menus and settings. Take notes. Take photos. (Note your white balance, f-stop, and exposure for each set.) Which camera(s) felt the most intuitive to you? Load the photos on your computer and take a look at quality. Whichever camera you enjoyed the most, and are most likely to take with you and USE... that's the right camera.

Then compare prices online, look at manufacturer sites for rebates, and pay attention to sales held by desperate shops trying to make up for a rather dismal holiday. Good luck!

Thanks Caf, I know there are lots more brands out there...so yeah I will check them out as well!
I don't know how it's in the states , but here in Holland you can't play much around with the floor models without the alarm going off! When you ask if you can have a look, they let you for a minute, with a look like they sell forbidden diamonds (they get on my nerves)

But I like the part about the CF card, that's a great tip! Thanks Caf Smile

SCWIDVICIOUS

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:20 pm   Reply with quote         

DaVinci wrote:

Thanks Caf, I know there are lots more brands out there...so yeah I will check them out as well!
I don't know how it's in the states , but here in Holland you can't play much around with the floor models without the alarm going off! When you ask if you can have a look, they let you for a minute, with a look like they sell forbidden diamonds (they get on my nerves)

But I like the part about the CF card, that's a great tip! Thanks Caf Smile

well it is the same here usually. cable that is about 2 feet long gets extended beyond "where its happy" then store people come running because of the sound it makes.
i told one of them when i was looking at my camera to just stay there because it would go off again.
lol

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:31 pm   Reply with quote         

If you find a real camera store -usually independently owned, and now a dying breed- the cameras will be behind the counter. The sales staff may or may not step away to let you explore the features for a minute if they see you're seriously considering the camera. Comparing it to looking at diamond rings from the case at a jewelry store is not far off... but you usually can get what information you need. The staff at these stores are usually pretty knowledgeable, too. Even at a place like Best Buy, where the cameras have strings attached, so to speak, you can sometimes find a manager who will release a floor model for you to look at more easily. They'll usually assign someone to stand guard over you, but you can still get a better sense of the camera.

When you're looking at a fairly major investment (US $900 min. for a dSLR), you may need to be pretty assertive to make sure you're making the right choice. Truly serious buyers are generally treated better than "browsers." So even if you know you'll make your purchase elsewhere, act like they might eventually make a sale off of you. Even ask for a business card before you leave. You don't need to lie; just remain noncommittal and say you need to do some more research before making a final decision, as evidenced by your CF card and test photos. And even if you know you'll make your purchase elsewhere, developing good terms with local businesses will help give you the support you may need for future accessories or troubleshooting. Smile

DaVinci

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:32 am   Reply with quote         

cafn8d wrote:
If you find a real camera store -usually independently owned, and now a dying breed- the cameras will be behind the counter. The sales staff may or may not step away to let you explore the features for a minute if they see you're seriously considering the camera. Comparing it to looking at diamond rings from the case at a jewelry store is not far off... but you usually can get what information you need. The staff at these stores are usually pretty knowledgeable, too. Even at a place like Best Buy, where the cameras have strings attached, so to speak, you can sometimes find a manager who will release a floor model for you to look at more easily. They'll usually assign someone to stand guard over you, but you can still get a better sense of the camera.

When you're looking at a fairly major investment (US $900 min. for a dSLR), you may need to be pretty assertive to make sure you're making the right choice. Truly serious buyers are generally treated better than "browsers." So even if you know you'll make your purchase elsewhere, act like they might eventually make a sale off of you. Even ask for a business card before you leave. You don't need to lie; just remain noncommittal and say you need to do some more research before making a final decision, as evidenced by your CF card and test photos. And even if you know you'll make your purchase elsewhere, developing good terms with local businesses will help give you the support you may need for future accessories or troubleshooting. Smile

Sounds like you have a lot of experience with this Very Happy But it make sense, of course you wanna know how it all work when you are gonna spend some serious cash.
I found this small camera store (instead of these huge companies) where they have only a couple of customers a day, so they have more time (and fun) to tell me everything about these SLR's! Smile

PS: I have no experience with buying diamond rings Laughing

cafn8d

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:53 am   Reply with quote         

DaVinci wrote:
Sounds like you have a lot of experience with this Very Happy But it make sense, of course you wanna know how it all work when you are gonna spend some serious cash.
I found this small camera store (instead of these huge companies) where they have only a couple of customers a day, so they have more time (and fun) to tell me everything about these SLR's! Smile

That's excellent, DaVinci! That's just the kind of place I was hoping you'd find. You'll learn a lot even through just one buying process.

Certainly, the point of all this is to choose the right camera in the first place. But still, check the return policy of whatever place you buy it from. Most places charge a "restocking fee" for returned electronics unless it's defective right out of the box. I've seen a couple of return policies that even say defective merchandise needs to be sent straight to the manufacturer. Hmmm

Lastly (for now), carefully read any extended warranties they try to sell you, if it's something you're interested in. What does it include? (Getting stepped on by an elephant under a full moon on the third Sunday of June...) What does it exclude? (Accidentally knocking it off the table with your elbow or damage from getting caught out in the rain...) Does coverage extend to the added lens or just the dSLR body? How do you make a claim? Is there a deductible? Does the cost for a 3-year plan match or exceed what you expect this model camera would sell for off e-bay in the same amount of time? Is the company that holds the policy well known and likely to still be in business when you need them? Of course, if a policy would repair or replace a camera dropped from extraordinary heights, and you plan to go skydiving with yours, then an extended warranty may be a good deal after all. Laughing

I know, I know, too much to think about. Razz Pick your camera first. Good luck! Very Happy

DaVinci

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:16 am   Reply with quote         

cafn8d wrote:
DaVinci wrote:

That's excellent, DaVinci! That's just the kind of place I was hoping you'd find. You'll learn a lot even through just one buying process.

Certainly, the point of all this is to choose the right camera in the first place. But still, check the return policy of whatever place you buy it from. Most places charge a "restocking fee" for returned electronics unless it's defective right out of the box. I've seen a couple of return policies that even say defective merchandise needs to be sent straight to the manufacturer. Hmmm

Lastly (for now), carefully read any extended warranties they try to sell you, if it's something you're interested in. What does it include? (Getting stepped on by an elephant under a full moon on the third Sunday of June...) What does it exclude? (Accidentally knocking it off the table with your elbow or damage from getting caught out in the rain...) Does coverage extend to the added lens or just the dSLR body? How do you make a claim? Is there a deductible? Does the cost for a 3-year plan match or exceed what you expect this model camera would sell for off e-bay in the same amount of time? Is the company that holds the policy well known and likely to still be in business when you need them? Of course, if a policy would repair or replace a camera dropped from extraordinary heights, and you plan to go skydiving with yours, then an extended warranty may be a good deal after all. Laughing

I know, I know, too much to think about. Razz Pick your camera first. Good luck! Very Happy

Wow, you really make it a quest! But it's good, thanks for all the tips, really helpfull...
Let me first pick the right camera lol, than I will think about the warranties etc. Smile

(and if I find out that they sell me a piece of junk, they can give me my money back or they stick the camera where the sun don't shine) Very Happy

cafn8d

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:05 pm   Reply with quote         

DaVinci wrote:
Wow, you really make it a quest! But it's good, thanks for all the tips, really helpfull...
Let me first pick the right camera lol, than I will think about the warranties etc. Smile

(and if I find out that they sell me a piece of junk, they can give me my money back or they stick the camera where the sun don't shine) Very Happy

Heehee! "Quest" is right! I've gone through this with every all-in-one digicam I've gotten... made it a virtual hobby! Embarassed After two or three years, something smaller (more pocketable) and supposedly better would come along; I'd have a little extra money, and I'd start the process all over again. All I can say is, my husband has the patience of a SAINT! Angel

Once I finally got my dSLR, I stopped looking at cameras... until I decided to get one of the new waterproof ones for my husband. But shopping for a camera for someone else is a WHOLE other ball of wax! Razz

I'm glad you find some of my ramblings useful. Smile

ReinMan

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:47 pm   Reply with quote         

Laughing
Your ramblings are ALWAYS useful, Caf!
Very Happy

cafn8d

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:11 pm   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
Laughing
Your ramblings are ALWAYS useful, Caf!
Very Happy

Embarassed Razz Laughing

Cool

DaVinci

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:55 am   Reply with quote         

Hey! 3 years after the SLR discussion I finally bought one Laughing Laughing Laughing
I got the Nikon D5100, not real pro but good enough for me at the moment...

Just wanted to share, cheers!!

DaVinci

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:55 am   Reply with quote         

I will create some new source photos with it! Cool

YerPalAl

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:04 am   Reply with quote         

AH, welcome to the world of photography and say goodbye to your bank account. Laughing Laughing Laughing

YerPalAl

AH, welcome to the world of photography and say goodbye to your bank account. Laughing Laughing Laughing

YerPalAl

DaVinci

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:20 am   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:

Laughing

Yeah it's a fun hobby, but not a cheap one!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Buying a digital SLR camera - Reply to topic