Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Willing to critique site? - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:00 pm   Reply with quote         

Had a meeting with the company presidents today. They're starting to warm to the idea of giving our website a face-lift.

I'm testing the waters to see if anyone here would be willing to give their impression of our website and what they think could be done better. I'm NOT looking for someone to create designs or suggest layouts or anything like that. One of the president's kids is going through design school and will probably be coming up with his own design. I've seen some of his stuff and he's very talented.

Simply looking for people who would be willing to go to the site and evaluate it in it's current format and function. Specifically looking at it with the knowledge that probably 90% of our customers are in their late 50's to early 60's. Our demographic isn't the hip/modern crowd.

We've got questions like
- What do you like about the site?
- What don't you like about the site?
- What were you looking to find? Could you find it easily?
- Were you looking for anything that you couldn't find?

(Note I didn't come up with the design so you won't hurt my feelings in the least).

blue_lurker

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:09 pm   Reply with quote         

I fit ya demographic almost, so Im up for it mate let me know what I have to do?

pakimo

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:35 pm   Reply with quote         

The image in front maybe....

No good colorprofile.
Too many links making the visitors head spin (Where to start?)
Don't like the logo.
Very confusing site, not really telling what it is all about.
Way too many fontexpressions.
No air - feel sufficated.
The minisitemap placed there is also confusing.
Site is too narrow, or is it made for mobilephones?

- What were you looking to find? Could you find it easily?
No, the site has no focuspoint.

(Harsh maybe, but honest) Embarassed Very Happy

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:45 pm   Reply with quote         

@Blurker, just browse the site and give me your thoughts on likes and dislikes about the site. That's it. As in-depth or cursory as you want it to be. Cool

@pakimo: Excellent feedback! Thanks! Very Happy

blue_lurker

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:02 pm   Reply with quote         

Sorry mate but not much

Very busy and over whelming for a front page, may be have it as a single page with your log cabin and a few links to different sections.

Lots of links that I was unsure what to click first.

Miss that get you in factor...I guess Im looking for a log house but I want you to grab me and point me in the right direction, not confuse me or as some sites do demand me to go some place.

Site map is also busy, to much going on to be help full.

Lets go wife screen mate Im an old bugger and the bigger the text the better it is...I hate havin to get my glasses out to read a web site that is more for my age group

Last thing mate, the was no warmth, at my age I like to feel like you want me to look around so make it easy for me, bells and whistles scare us older folk, hey Im being honest. I have stop surfing sites because they have to many things popping up and telling me what to do. I like sites that suggest where to go rather than demand my attention. One site I went to for pool filters told me to take a minute, make a cup of tea because the information may take a while but its worth the wait. I did and it was worth the wait.

Its stuff like that that us old farts like, we dont want to run around fast and get here look at that go there now then come back here. We like it to flow, not to slow but not so fast that your head spins.

Well I hope that helps ya mate. Smile
Blue

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:03 pm   Reply with quote         

Agree with Pakimo. It looks like something from the 90s. Good call to update it! thumleft

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:25 pm   Reply with quote         

I admin several sites geared towards seniors, and
I've learned several definite things about the over 50 audience in the last several years.
One: Easy to read large type is extremely important to them...
So important as to be the most important thing about a site for them.
Two: People over fifty like to print out, and read what they're interested in over a cup of coffee. If you want to lock in an older persons patronage. Every article 'must' have a link at the bottom of the article for a 'clean' optimized for print page for that specific article.
Three: One link only. If a person over fifty has to hit two or more links to get the information they want, you'll never see them again. I had the numbers on this when we changed a site around a couple years ago. Older users of the site went from 2-3% of preferring the site over similar sites to around 60% after this change.
Now my personal opinion for your site.
Your first link goes to "Floor Plans and Pricing" and is a nightmare of a form to fill out....
a search form which only has several items to search...while it also leads to
"Golden Eagle Log HomesMaster Plan List"
which is what they're looking for in the first place,
is a thousand times more attractive, and leads them to where they need to go elsewhere so much more simply.
One other thing. The lead image is of a kitchen and dining room. They aren't there to look at the kitchen and dining room. They want to see what you have to offer.
The images of cabins in three different price/style/size ranges would be answering the question in their head when I clicked onto the site in the first place. "Is this what I'm looking for?"

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:29 pm   Reply with quote         

Excellent feedback so far! Very Happy

As I said don't be afraid to be completely honest. It's good to hear what others think.

ScionShade

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:32 pm   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:

Two: People over fifty like to print out, and read what they're interested in over a cup of coffee. If you want to lock in an older persons patronage. Every article 'must' have a link at the bottom of the article for a 'clean' optimized for print page for that specific article.

LOL. And for CARP'S SAKE! Especially a real estate, building plan
ad! Every person interested in a specific layout plan IS printing it out! EVERYONE!
DO YOU HEAR ME TOFUNUGGETS!?

dewdew

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:13 pm   Reply with quote         

I would be glad to CRITIQUE your sites....and as soon as i look up the word critique in the dictionary...i'll get back with you. Wink

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:48 pm   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
ScionShade wrote:

LOL. And for CARP'S SAKE! Especially a real estate, building plan
ad! Every person interested in a specific layout plan IS printing it out! EVERYONE!
DO YOU HEAR ME TOFUNUGGETS!?

I DEFINITELY HEAR YOU JOE! YOU'RE SHOUTING! Laughing

buckie74

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:54 pm   Reply with quote         

Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:48 pm   Reply with quote         

buckie74 wrote:

Code Compliance should be on the front page.
Very Happy

I looked allover for it, and couldn't find it. I didn't mention it cause
I felt I'd harassed TofuButt too much already.
I agree w/ code should be one of the main links.

yello_piggy

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:00 am   Reply with quote         

Dont know much about how to create a perfect website, but I had a look over it and tried to see it like a person who is interested in buying a new home. Such persons may be willing to fight through a huge amount of information, that is given in describing all specifications of a house and its variations. So I think that the large number of links will work, especially when they are sorted by topics, as you did.
As others mentioned before, there are too many fontsizes and -colors used, maybe you can spend another hour to bring it into a defined design, which will also help, keeping the site updated in future.

buglover

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:49 am   Reply with quote         

Hi Tofu,
as it would take me ages to give you a closer feedback here's a short one.

I'm not into Log Homes at all. Took me ages to find out what that is.

It would be good to have of some kind of guided tour "what is a log home" and especially what's a "golden eagel log home". Should have a top placement link at the main page.

I looked at some of your company videos. Would be great to have a complete process of getting a log home, including choosing the right package, planing, building, specials, walk through and testimonial of the happy owner. That way you would have a easy way to explain some general questions and put some values to the golden eagle log homes. (And please don destroy it with that large telephone number Wink )

Wish you lot of success with the new website. That can become a great side, as it seems that the company has a huge resource of nice quality products. At building the structure, try to consider future possibilities.

It would be cool if you could bump this up if the new side is up.

Cheers BL

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Willing to critique site? - Reply to topic