Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - I'm going to piss people off and then go on vacation. - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

ReyRey

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:27 am   Reply with quote         

I was asked if it is the lack of good sources that is the reason for the decline in numbers. (now here is where I piss everyone off.)
I relied:
Good choppers can chop anything.
It's a lack of cutting edge ideas. Images that make you think and feel something. Not just how they did it but how they came up with such a genius idea and translated in an image. I gotta be honest. I find myself just voting on which image sucks the least instead of having a hard choice over which image is more awesome. Maybe I'm a prick and not politically correct but if a baseball team doesn't have at least one great player on it, the stadium seats will be empty.
There are some star players but they don't play consistantly enough to keep the people coming back for more.
I am also not saying that I am one of the greats. And I am not looking for the good ole days, just better new ones.
If I was a new visitor now, I don't think I would see anything that would make me want to join. (unless I hit it on a good day.) There should always be at least 2 kick ass images in the contest. JMHO
I find myself glancing over contests and not wanting to vote at all. I don't want to have to zoom in to see if someone did a lot of work. I want something to grab my interest and then I will take a closer look.
Maybe there have been some great images lately, but not on the days I looked. It should be consistant. You can't have a successful restaurant if the food is great one day and not the other.

blue_lurker

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:36 am   Reply with quote         

geez 2rey catch up will ya

blue_lurker wrote:
I disagree abraham, we cant blame the sources because we cant think of any thing to chop, that's our fault, and even if some of the source images are not that great in resolution we should be able to correct some things to a degree.

I think we want it all to easy now days, lets get back to 7 days advantage, with 1 day a week speed chopping. No voting for the source they come as they come and we the "artists" should be able to apply our skills to the best of our ability.

To much weight is placed on vpp or how many votes or the stats or just plan winning. I think we have forgot that this is a fun site and chopping should be fun, lets remember that. This place cycles back and forth with posts and chopping always has and always will. We just need to make it the best we can when we can.

Then in response to Im wrong entry

Quote:
So how do you account for the H2H, yes it is a special event and lets be honest the sources were not the greatest yet some of the best images ever were produced. We all had the same source to work with. Every one just put in more effort and thats what is missing. We cant keep blaming the source all the time we are meant to be able to come up with ideas to make that source rock. How many times have you looked at a source and gone I got nothing only to see the contest open and say, shit I wish I had though of that. We are just not giving it our best efforts.

Take the recent chicken contest, buck won that with a 20 minute chop on a dare from me in chat, after the contest had been running for half a day. Shit my image came in 4th and it was crap, yet I still worked with what was there as a source. If we get to pick and choose all the time we become lazy, and our mental creativity in my opinion becomes dull.

I dont get to pick and choose what images I have to repair fro work I have to use what I am supplied, thats where skill and methods come into it. I would hate to see some of the people here chop back when you got the source at 8am and that was it, no 30 days to take your time and research and google and tweak. Even I would have trouble going back to those rules.

A bad workman should never blame the tools he has to use...if he is a true crafts man he should be able to produce the best he can with that he is supplied. Our tools are PS and the source image, I still say its our fault that contest numbers are down and they will only increase when this cycle in the PSC cyberlife comes full circle.

BTW I was not blaming vpp or how many votes or the stats or just plan winning, if you notice that was a seperate paragraph and a general statement.

Man I need my soapbox back huh Wink

So ya all caught up now... Wink

yello_piggy

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:37 am   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
Good choppers can chop anything

...and beginners need good sourcepics Razz

ReyRey

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:38 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
geez 2rey catch up will ya

blue_lurker wrote:
I disagree abraham, we cant blame the sources because we cant think of any thing to chop, that's our fault, and even if some of the source images are not that great in resolution we should be able to correct some things to a degree.

I think we want it all to easy now days, lets get back to 7 days advantage, with 1 day a week speed chopping. No voting for the source they come as they come and we the "artists" should be able to apply our skills to the best of our ability.

To much weight is placed on vpp or how many votes or the stats or just plan winning. I think we have forgot that this is a fun site and chopping should be fun, lets remember that. This place cycles back and forth with posts and chopping always has and always will. We just need to make it the best we can when we can.

Then in response to Im wrong entry

Quote:
So how do you account for the H2H, yes it is a special event and lets be honest the sources were not the greatest yet some of the best images ever were produced. We all had the same source to work with. Every one just put in more effort and thats what is missing. We cant keep blaming the source all the time we are meant to be able to come up with ideas to make that source rock. How many times have you looked at a source and gone I got nothing only to see the contest open and say, shit I wish I had though of that. We are just not giving it our best efforts.

Take the recent chicken contest, buck won that with a 20 minute chop on a dare from me in chat, after the contest had been running for half a day. Shit my image came in 4th and it was crap, yet I still worked with what was there as a source. If we get to pick and choose all the time we become lazy, and our mental creativity in my opinion becomes dull.

I dont get to pick and choose what images I have to repair fro work I have to use what I am supplied, thats where skill and methods come into it. I would hate to see some of the people here chop back when you got the source at 8am and that was it, no 30 days to take your time and research and google and tweak. Even I would have trouble going back to those rules.

A bad workman should never blame the tools he has to use...if he is a true crafts man he should be able to produce the best he can with that he is supplied. Our tools are PS and the source image, I still say its our fault that contest numbers are down and they will only increase when this cycle in the PSC cyberlife comes full circle.

BTW I was not blaming vpp or how many votes or the stats or just plan winning, if you notice that was a seperate paragraph and a general statement.

Man I need my soapbox back huh Wink

So ya all caught up now... Wink

I have ADD!! I ain't readin' all that!!! Laughing Laughing

ReyRey

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:39 am   Reply with quote         

yello_piggy wrote:
ReyRey wrote:

Then they won't be forced to really use their creative minds.
Anybody can make pancakes from a package but if you teach them the ingredients they can make their own any time and start adding their own special touches. Once they learn what tastes good together they can make a meal out of anything in the house. Know what I mean.

blue_lurker

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:40 am   Reply with quote         

I read all yours and you started the thread that, that post was in mate. Razz

ReyRey

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:42 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:

I know. I don't read my posts. I just start shit and leave. Laughing

blue_lurker

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:43 am   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
blue_lurker wrote:

So what ya still doing here then huh huh huh

YerPalAl

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:44 am   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
blue_lurker wrote:

Oh great! So now we have TWO arcaicos? Laughing Laughing Laughing

ReyRey

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:46 am   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:
ReyRey wrote:
blue_lurker wrote:

Oh great! So now we have TWO arcaicos? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh God No!!! Shocked There is not enough room.

ReinMan

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:12 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
. . . Then they won't be forced to really use their creative minds.
Anybody can make pancakes from a package but if you teach them the ingredients they can make their own any time and start adding their own special touches. Once they learn what tastes good together they can make a meal out of anything in the house. Know what I mean.

I had pancakes this morning (seriously!). It WAS an "instant" mix, but I DID grind up flax seed and corn kernels to add to the mix. Then I cooked them in a frying pan that required my personal attention.

I'm glad to have the topic of pancakes come up here. We so rarely talk about pancakes here at PSC.

I'm not pissed off, Rey. I LOVE pancakes - instant or cleverly created from scratch. MMmmmmmmM! Very Happy

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:13 pm   Reply with quote         

I don't mean to be a stickler for rules, Rey, but between baseball attendance, successful restaurants and tasty pancake recipes, I'm afraid you've reached your analogy quota for the day.

You're just going to have to do without them.
It's like a prostitute who only has one arm. When she

Oh forget it. You're better at those than I am.

ReyRey

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:13 pm   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
ReyRey wrote:
yello_piggy wrote:
ReyRey wrote:

Then they won't be forced to really use their creative minds.

I had pancakes this morning (seriously!). It WAS an "instant" mix, but I DID grind up flax seed and corn kernels to add to the mix. Then I cooked them in a frying pan that required my personal attention.

I'm glad to have the topic of pancakes come up here. We so rarely talk about pancakes here at PSC.

I'm not pissed off, Rey. I LOVE pancakes - instant or cleverly created from scratch. MMmmmmmmM! Very Happy

Flax ???? Having trouble poopin'? Laughing

ReyRey

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:15 pm   Reply with quote         

badcop wrote:
I don't mean to be a stickler for rules, Rey, but between baseball attendance, successful restaurants and tasty pancake recipes, I'm afraid you've reached your analogy quota for the day.

You're just going to have to do without them.
It's like a prostitute who only has one arm. When she

Oh forget it. You're better at those than I am.

That's right. Stick to what you know. Laughing
I do it for the mentally challenged. Laughing

ReinMan

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:16 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:

{yellow piggy, reinman, rey, etc.}:Good choppers can chop anything....

BLH BLAH BLAHHH BLLLLLAH BLAH! etc.

REY: Flax ???? Having trouble poopin'? Laughing

Nope. The Shite just POURS out of me. Haven't you noticed? Wink

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - I'm going to piss people off and then go on vacation. - Reply to topic