Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - PANDORA Poster Contest (U.S. only!) - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

MonkeeDrummer

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:37 pm   Reply with quote         

Pandora Radio is having their 3rd annual Poster Contest! Very Happy
Grand prize of $500! Great chance to show off your skills
Cuz i know a lot of people on here who definitely have 'em. Wink
Details: http://pandora.votigo.com/poster/
Poster Specs: http://blog.pandora.com/poster/specs.html
Enjoy Cool
-Mikey

bneises

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:02 pm   Reply with quote         

MonkeeDrummer wrote:
Pandora Radio is having their 3rd annual Poster Contest! Very Happy
Grand prize of $500! Great chance to show off your skills
Cuz i know a lot of people on here who definitely have 'em. Wink
Details: http://pandora.votigo.com/poster/
Poster Specs: http://blog.pandora.com/poster/specs.html
Enjoy Cool
-Mikey

This is awesome! I have some of their old posters and love them... I'll get some pics and post 'em so that everyone can see what the past has held.

MonkeeDrummer

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:10 pm   Reply with quote         

Sweet! Yeah, you can go and look at '07 and '08's top 3 entries.

So, on the specs are we supposed to make it 11.5"x17.5" or not? Can someone go read those and fill me in cuz i'm confused. Confused

captainSMITTY11

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:34 pm   Reply with quote         

yes add the extra .5 inch it will just be cut off in production

any idea when the deadline for the posters is???

Marx-Man

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:47 pm   Reply with quote         

1. "ELIGIBILITY: The Pandora Poster Contest 2009 is open only to individuals who are legal residents of the United States and are thirteen years of age or older at the time of entry."

14. SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS: Except where prohibited, anyone who is selected as a Winner will be required to complete and return an affidavit of eligibility (including a declaration of compliance with these Official Rules), a Form W-9 (for tax reporting purposes), and a comprehensive liability waiver and publicity release within fourteen (14) days of the date of notification.

(Sounds fun... Signing forms)

16. "DISPUTES: Pandora reserves the right to make all decisions in its sole discretion arising out of or relating to the Pandora Poster Contest 2009, and the decisions by Pandora are final and binding on all matters relating to the Pandora Poster Contest 2009. Except where prohibited, you agree that: (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Pandora Poster Contest 2009 shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in the State of California; (b) any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Pandora Poster Contest 2009, but in no event attorneys' fees; and (c) notwithstanding the foregoing, you waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages."

(You agree to not be able to take them to court...)

In short, $500 for a poster that they will print a limited edition version of... Sounds like a good money spinner...

So glad I don't qualify. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Read the fine print people.
http://pandora.votigo.com/sections/show_rules/poster

MonkeeDrummer

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:04 pm   Reply with quote         

captainSMITTY11 wrote:
yes add the extra .5 inch it will just be cut off in production

any idea when the deadline for the posters is???

39 days, 23 hours, and 56 minutes from the time of this post.

MonkeeDrummer

Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:08 pm   Reply with quote         

Marx-Man wrote:
1. "ELIGIBILITY: The Pandora Poster Contest 2009 is open only to individuals who are legal residents of the United States and are thirteen years of age or older at the time of entry."

14. SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS: Except where prohibited, anyone who is selected as a Winner will be required to complete and return an affidavit of eligibility (including a declaration of compliance with these Official Rules), a Form W-9 (for tax reporting purposes), and a comprehensive liability waiver and publicity release within fourteen (14) days of the date of notification.

(Sounds fun... Signing forms)

16. "DISPUTES: Pandora reserves the right to make all decisions in its sole discretion arising out of or relating to the Pandora Poster Contest 2009, and the decisions by Pandora are final and binding on all matters relating to the Pandora Poster Contest 2009. Except where prohibited, you agree that: (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Pandora Poster Contest 2009 shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in the State of California; (b) any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Pandora Poster Contest 2009, but in no event attorneys' fees; and (c) notwithstanding the foregoing, you waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages."

(You agree to not be able to take them to court...)

In short, $500 for a poster that they will print a limited edition version of... Sounds like a good money spinner...

So glad I don't qualify. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Read the fine print people.
http://pandora.votigo.com/sections/show_rules/poster

Well, way to be a party pooper! (forms do suck) Laughing
All that aside, it's still a chance (for U.S. citizens, hey that's me!) to show what they've got. So i figured, since a lot of people on here do graphic work such as poster making (maybe), i would post this and share what i found.

Paul Von Stetina

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:57 am   Reply with quote         

I think it was 2 years ago, I spent a ton of time doing a cool image with Pandora as the theme, "then" I read that they didn't want the image to have anything to do with "pandora's box", she must have left a bad taste in the owners mouth... Laughing

MonkeeDrummer

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:47 am   Reply with quote         

Yeah Paul, one of my first ideas involved a box, not necessarily "Pandora's" box, but then i read the poster specs... Laughing

dannyboyuk09

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:24 am   Reply with quote         

HA HA HA. I just made one and posted it then realised its for US only... hmmm I'm UK!

OH WELL
hee hee!

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:38 am   Reply with quote         

MonkeeDrummer wrote:
Marx-Man wrote:
a bunch of bitching about the rules

Well, way to be a party pooper! (forms do suck)...

Ignore him Monkee. Every single time there's any kind of contest Marx has to shit on it. He feels that anything you create you should own perpetual rights to. That and he's convinced every contest is simply a way for companies to get free work from people.

dannyboyuk09

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:26 am   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
MonkeeDrummer wrote:
Marx-Man wrote:

Ignore him Monkee. Every single time there's any kind of contest Marx has to shit on it. He feels that anything you create you should own perpetual rights to. That and he's convinced every contest is simply a way for companies to get free work from people.

Hey if they do get free work from people good for them. Hee Hee. At the end of the day if prize is 500 pips then it's not exactly free is it...

Oh a cynical world we live in. At least were not all so dumb as to post an entry from UK to a US only contest... Confused

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:58 pm   Reply with quote         

dannyboyuk09 wrote:
Oh a cynical world we live in. At least were not all so dumb as to post an entry from UK to a US only contest... Confused

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Marx-Man

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:12 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
MonkeeDrummer wrote:
Marx-Man wrote:

"Posters and prints: 10% or more"
(http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/article-30093.html)

Not every contest, but there are circumstances where the rights of distribution seem almost tantamount to slavery, (where the reward is not worth the effort.)

It's easy for me to look at the rules and say hang about, this isn't fair... Considering my line of work, $500 if you win is peanuts considering the risk.

Perhaps they get 500 entries that's a $1 per entry, which they would normally have to pay a designer a $30-$60 per hour rate to get.
The Poster sales would be classed as "limited edition", which could be worth $50-$100
All you would have the right to say is I designed them and I got paid $500 to design a limited edition $50-$100 Poster line which makes 1800 Posters that's a potential $90,000-$180,000 Net earning...
If you received a 10%+ share of that as a royalty you would be getting.
- To a potential maximum of $9,000 at 10% royalty for 1800 units at $50

But the one thing you wouldn't get even at the MINIMUM RATE AT THE MINIMUM PRICE is $500 even if they bargained the LIMITED EDITION to $10

10 x 1800 = $18,000 % 10 = $1,800...
Yeah I will get right on that custom made royalty free artwork. Wink

So smile at your $500 when you could be receiving 3 times that or more as a proper designer... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yea this competition is awesome Huh..

janetdog

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:27 pm   Reply with quote         

Marx-Man wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:
MonkeeDrummer wrote:
Marx-Man wrote:

"Posters and prints: 10% or more"
(http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/article-30093.html)

Not every contest, but there are circumstances where the rights of distribution seem almost tantamount to slavery, (where the reward is not worth the effort.)

It's easy for me to look at the rules and say hang about, this isn't fair... Considering my line of work, $500 if you win is peanuts considering the risk.

Perhaps they get 500 entries that's a $1 per entry, which they would normally have to pay a designer a $30-$60 per hour rate to get.
The Poster sales would be classed as "limited edition", which could be worth $50-$100
All you would have the right to say is I designed them and I got paid $500 to design a limited edition $50-$100 Poster line which makes 1800 Posters that's a potential $90,000-$180,000 Net earning...
If you received a 10%+ share of that as a royalty you would be getting.
- To a potential maximum of $9,000 at 10% royalty for 1800 units at $50

But the one thing you wouldn't get even at the MINIMUM RATE AT THE MINIMUM PRICE is $500 even if they bargained the LIMITED EDITION to $10

10 x 1800 = $18,000 % 10 = $1,800...
Yeah I will get right on that custom made royalty free artwork. Wink

So smile at your $500 when you could be receiving 3 times that or more as a proper designer... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yea this competition is awesome Huh..

Do you even know what Pandora is? I've got Pandora on my phone. They have never sent me a bill. You are a moron.

Quote:

About Our Name

The name Pandora means "all gifted" in Greek. In ancient Greek mythology, Pandora received many gifts from the gods, including the gift of music, from Apollo. She was also, as we all know, very curious. Unlike those gods of old, however, we celebrate that virtue and have made it our mission to reward the musically curious among us with a never-ending experience of music discovery.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - PANDORA Poster Contest (U.S. only!) - Reply to topic