Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Monitor Calibrators - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:59 pm   Reply with quote         

These craptastic monitors at work are driving me up the wall. The colors have got to be way off. I look at a chop here and then go home and look at it on my monitors there and it's like night and day.

So. I'm hoping that a calibrator will help somewhat (I know these are shit monitors but anything'd be an improvement). Anyone know if the Pantone Huey Pro is worth the cash?

Can anyone with experience using calibrators please post the make/model of those that you've used? Also whether the result was good or bad? Please? Please

YerPalAl

Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:08 pm   Reply with quote         

I've been using Spyder Pro and it seems to work fine, albeit a little pricey.

SCWIDVICIOUS

Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:11 pm   Reply with quote         

I had a huey (not the pro), tossed it in the trash. It was not happy until people looked like the grinch or the incredible hulk.

go with a different one than I did..

Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:27 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
These craptastic monitors at work are driving me up the wall. The colors have got to be way off. I look at a chop here and then go home and look at it on my monitors there and it's like night and day.

So. I'm hoping that a calibrator will help somewhat (I know these are shit monitors but anything'd be an improvement). Anyone know if the Pantone Huey Pro is worth the cash?

Can anyone with experience using calibrators please post the make/model of those that you've used? Also whether the result was good or bad? Please? Please

Which one is better the monitor at home or the one at the office? If the one at the office is better take it home, surely what you do at home is more important than whatever you are doing at work. Be firm it's your job and who would know better than you which monitor at work is better for you. Laughing

http://burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com/

Be my assbook friend
dunno

Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:36 pm   Reply with quote         

what YerPalAl said

pakimo

Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:38 pm   Reply with quote         

I am a design student and I use the Colormunki Design om my monitors. The Munki can also be used to scan colors, make palettes for use in adobe programs and convert between diffrent pantone, rgb, cmyk and so on.

I am very happy with mine Smile

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:39 pm   Reply with quote         

seamusoisin wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:

Which one is better the monitor at home or the one at the office? If the one at the office is better take it home, surely what you do at home is more important than whatever you are doing at work. Be firm it's your job and who would know better than you which monitor at work is better for you. Laughing

Laughing The two at home are the good ones. Nice Samsungs with a good contrast ratio. The two monitors on my desk at work are "Sceptre" monitors and are, basically, garbage. They're fine for office tasks (email, programming, word processing, etc.) but for photo editing they're terrible.

I'm having to do more and more photo editing. Things'll look good to our eyes here but then pull up the pic on another monitor (or heaven forbid print it on the color printers) and it's a mess. Oversaturated happens a lot.

seamusoisin

Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:49 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
seamusoisin wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:

Laughing The two at home are the good ones. Nice Samsungs with a good contrast ratio. The two monitors on my desk at work are "Sceptre" monitors and are, basically, garbage. They're fine for office tasks (email, programming, word processing, etc.) but for photo editing they're terrible.

I'm having to do more and more photo editing. Things'll look good to our eyes here but then pull up the pic on another monitor (or heaven forbid print it on the color printers) and it's a mess. Oversaturated happens a lot.

OK here's what you do, sell them one of yours at an over inflated price, (Isn't making the American way?) and buy yourself a really great monitor for yourself for home. Win win situation, they get a better monitor and you get a better monitor and you don't have to buy a program that they don't need. Now if your really ballsy put in a chit for the money you saved them by not buying the program. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

http://burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com/

Be my assbook friend
YerPalAl

Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:53 pm   Reply with quote         

. . . brilliant, BRILLIANT!!

I am speechless. Smile

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:56 pm   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:
I've been using Spyder Pro and it seems to work fine, albeit a little pricey.

Can you define pricey? Confused

I've looked and it appears I can get one for around $140. Is that odd? I asked about the Pantone Huey Pro because I can get a new one for around $45-$50.

Edit: refined my search and I see "Elite" models in the $500 range. Shocked

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:08 pm   Reply with quote         

Just found the Spyder 3 Elite for $189. Good deal?

dunno

Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:55 pm   Reply with quote         

me being from Europe and thus not really into good price comp sites for the US - i see the normal price range starting at 199$, which would make your find a quite good deal.

however, consider the pro version too. i looked up the differences here and remembered why i found the pro version always... hm... convenient. it simply does what its made for.

YerPalAl

Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:02 pm   Reply with quote         

I think I paid a little over $200 for the one I use so that sounds like a good price to me, tofu.

Thanks for the link, dunno. Good info all.

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:11 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks dunno! That comparison chart really does help. If I can swing it I think I'd get the Elite over the Pro. It appears to be not much more money for extra functionality and a wider color temperature range.

I'm thinking that, if I buy a Spyder for my own use; and then show them how bad the monitors are at work; then they might either buy it off me or buy us new monitors at work. Twisted Evil

MindGraph

Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:46 am   Reply with quote         

we use an Eye One Pro at work with NEC monitor and its awesome but I don't have time right now to see what the pricing is like. I'll check it out when I get to work.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Monitor Calibrators - Reply to topic