Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Drop the egos and learn - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

SCWIDVICIOUS

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:23 pm   Reply with quote         

i like to learn from my chops.. i used to mention please send any tips my way, but no one did that much.. it wont hurt my feelings, hell thats what i want.

I know i suck, got pretty lucky with the tick, but i know the shadows aren't right which marco said.. but there in lies the problem.. i would have fixed it if i knew how.. i suck with shadows.. period..

something i know how to do and overlook... some thing i cant figurre out as of yet, but i try.. im not afraid to update..

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:33 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
I do freelance for another artist friend of mine. Most people
hate working with him because he is always finding something
wrong with their art work. He is waaaayyyy too picky and sounds very condescending when he tells you to fix something.
Not on purpose. He is actually a very nice guy. That is exactly the
reason I like to work with him. He makes me see things I never noticed before. He makes me improve myself every time I work with him. When I first started working with him, I would do the image and then send it to him. He would call me up and you could hear the heavy sigh in his voice. It made you want to crawl in a hole. Then he would give you a huge list of corrections but he would not just say, please fix this and that. Instead he would say "why would you ever do this?" and "don't you know better than that" You would want to reach through the phone and strangle him. Laughing After years of working with him, he always comes to me first with jobs and when he calls me back it is "this is awesome" or "your amazing" quickly followed by "but" Laughing He will never change and I don't want him to. He bought me an ipod with "thanks for all the great artwork" etched on the back.
If people could just drop the egos and listen, they would all learn something.
Thanks again,
Rey

Is vokaris your picky friend? Laughing

jasper

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:04 pm   Reply with quote         

Michel wrote:
ReyRey wrote:
I do freelance for another artist friend of mine. Most people
hate working with him because he is always finding something
wrong with their art work. He is waaaayyyy too picky and sounds very condescending when he tells you to fix something.
Not on purpose. He is actually a very nice guy. That is exactly the
reason I like to work with him. He makes me see things I never noticed before. He makes me improve myself every time I work with him. When I first started working with him, I would do the image and then send it to him. He would call me up and you could hear the heavy sigh in his voice. It made you want to crawl in a hole. Then he would give you a huge list of corrections but he would not just say, please fix this and that. Instead he would say "why would you ever do this?" and "don't you know better than that" You would want to reach through the phone and strangle him. Laughing After years of working with him, he always comes to me first with jobs and when he calls me back it is "this is awesome" or "your amazing" quickly followed by "but" Laughing He will never change and I don't want him to. He bought me an ipod with "thanks for all the great artwork" etched on the back.
If people could just drop the egos and listen, they would all learn something.
Thanks again,
Rey

Is vokaris your picky friend? Laughing

In my experience, vokaris is not afraid to call out when things aren't right. I appreciate that.

Tesore

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:11 pm   Reply with quote         

Cartoon Contractor wrote:
ReyRey wrote:

Ok, Cool! Now insert a naked chick tuning it!! Wink

I don't see the fun... but here you are:

Shocked

ReyRey

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:17 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:30 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
They're not MY changes, just observations. I also have some issues with shadows and such, but I don't see a need for you to update anymore, unless you want it published in a guitar magazine. FWIW, your new jack socket nut is an octagon, it should be a hexagon.

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:40 pm   Reply with quote         

yeah, Rey, please adjust your nuts. Wink

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:08 pm   Reply with quote         

On a related note, if you haven't already downloaded Reys psd file, do yourself a favor and check it out. Just turn off all the layers and start at the bottom turning them on one by one. More helpful than just about any tutorial.

p.s. Rey, adjust your nuts already!

SCWIDVICIOUS

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:45 pm   Reply with quote         

imperfect or not.. that is still some badass amazing work. one day maybe you picky asses can shred my work to make me better too...

I will have to try to create a guitar for my uncle..
his fav is the ibenaz iceman like paul stanley of kiss played. he has 2 of the originals. one of them was his first guitar and he has had it most of my life. he got it used. and a nice collection of others including strats and others too.

Just like in upholstery, even though I am a master upholsterer (retired from upholstery now), i can always see room for improvement, which is why i became a master in the first place. every company I have worked for has used me to help fill their catalogs with quality work. Nothing is ever perfect.. but some try to achieve perfection. those are the ones who make their name known in their industry.......

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:54 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
ReyRey wrote:
They're not MY changes, just observations. I also have some issues with shadows and such, but I don't see a need for you to update anymore, unless you want it published in a guitar magazine. FWIW, your new jack socket nut is an octagon, it should be a hexagon.

Here ya go you pain in the ass. My nuts are adjusted Wink
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/161324/striped-strat-upd.html

billtvshow
Site Moderator

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:25 pm   Reply with quote         

Rey almost always responds to and fixes things from my critiques and handles it a positive and non-defensive professional manner.
vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:06 pm   Reply with quote         

Nice update, especially the fabric. Still missing some screws, but you can let it go before I find some other details to pick on, like the guitar nut (not the jack socket, but the part between the neck and the head) which on your guitar looks like another metal fret

JORDAN792

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:09 pm   Reply with quote         

billtvshow wrote:
Rey almost always responds to and fixes things from my critiques and handles it a positive and non-defensive professional manner.

Also, Billtvshow, I see your comments from time to time and You, Rey, and Marco to name a few have given me some of the best, most straight forward comments that really just tell it how it is. I think that is the best way to improve. I dont always update but thats because I dont have a ton of time to chop so when I do, I like to enter contests. I just try to apply the advice to future chops.

ReyRey

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:46 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
Nice update, especially the fabric. Still missing some screws, but you can let it go before I find some other details to pick on, like the guitar nut (not the jack socket, but the part between the neck and the head) which on your guitar looks like another metal fret

Done.
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/161324/display.html?nocache=1

Meaty

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:05 pm   Reply with quote         

TBH Rey, I dont update the pieces no matter how major the mistake is, for the simple reason, If i missed it the first time and people have voted for it then i feel i will be cheating to alter it. They voted on the original, to change it afterwards no matter how slight the modification is, is not the piece they voted for and if you cant retract your votes, then you shouldnt be able to update your pieces in my mind.

I dont care if others do it, although sometimes i do wish i had seen the original before it was updated. I just dont feel fair updating because i screwed up somewhere, although i do always take the comments for what they are and appreciate feedback. Just thought i would add my 2p's worth. Wink

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Drop the egos and learn - Reply to topic