Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Thanks To The Super Creative - Reply to topic

MentalWard

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:38 am   Reply with quote         

Hi all. Your work blows my mind. I'd entered a Photoshop contest sponsored by Surfline and Pacsun a while ago and was so happy with my entry that I sought out more competitions. I found one at Creastock, but while the previous entries were brilliant, they had nothing new going on.

I stumbled upon PSC and bookmarked it. I looked at the competitions here a few times with a quick glance, and frankly wasn't impressed. But that's because I didn't get it, or look close enough. Sure there were some that captivated me & I thought were very good, but I've always been of the "find as many as possible images and make them look as though they naturally existed together" school.

To those of you who use only source, I now appreciate and understand your resourcefulness and talent. These are the entries I "didn't get" at first and find myself most appreciative of now. I suggest to you that you branch out an incorporate externals, while I try to use only source (yeah, right).

Anyway, I just toasted my 500GB internal drive with my PSC stuff on it. I've always been meticulous about backing up client work, but my own is history. This includes the last 3 months of work on my own website (and so, so much more). Luckily I'm already in the Mental Ward.

Cheers

Ed

SCWIDVICIOUS

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:06 am   Reply with quote         

Ed, you have got to back up man... im doing it as we speak!!

yea, its something when you realize how much talent there really is on here.. it is uncanny.

for most here its about learning and teaching.. the times when rey posts his files.. i am so downloading it, i see things done in those palettes that make me go WTF, i didnt know that/// WTF thats kewl.. layer 76 has 2 white dots that make a huge difference.

This place is a mental ward of sorts..

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:31 am   Reply with quote         

cheers!

MentalWard

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:44 am   Reply with quote         

So here's a positive story about failed drives. I use a Mac. This particular drive wouldn't mount or show up via Disc Utility. Fine the night before, missing the next day.

Called Apple. Had me perform numerous combinations of restart procedures. Then a good hour + of an HD test. This took so long that I had to hang up and call back when finished. The second rep. confirmed my skepticism of performing such a task on the system hard drive, while the one in question contained no system software. I was told to take it into an Apple store.

I'm 6'2" and 200lbs. I'm 47, but I surf. I work out. I'm reasonably fit. When I finally got to the Apple store after parking in the mall and carrying my freaking MacPro 8-core across the lot, into the mall, up the escalator and into the store I had worked up some perspiration. I didn't stink - thank you - but was uncomfortable. I then waited half an hour to have the privilege of a "Mac Genious" boot up my 'puter, launch Disc Utility, see the disc in question did not appear and announce "your drive has failed."

Anyway, here's the good part. I called Seagate because the drive was under warranty. I figured I'd get a replacement and take the funky drive to a place down the street for data recovery. Turns out it's a firmware issue. They updated it and I should have it back in a few days.

Moral(s) of the story: 1. back up often; 2. hard drives are usually under warranty for 3-5 years.

Ed

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Thanks To The Super Creative - Reply to topic