Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Need Feedback from Europeans... - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:37 pm   Reply with quote         

I just wrote this article and need some feedback.

Europeans or any countries where Celsius is the standard measurement of temperature, please let me know if I have this right. I can change it based on your feedback:

http://www.chopcow.com/thinking-in-terms-of-celsius/

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:50 pm   Reply with quote         

The correct spelling is Fahrenheit
Quote:
Hope this helps us Americans to think with the same mindset as our European neighbors.
It's not just our European neighbors who use the Celsius scale. According to Wikipedia, only in the United States and a few other countries (Belize, Burma, and Liberia) does the Fahrenheit system continue to be used.

And it's really not that hard, even for Americans, to remember how the Celsius scale works: at 0°C water freezes, at 100°C water boils, how hard is that? And, yes, it helps to be reminded that 25°C is pleasant and 40°C is too damn hot.

Near the bottom of the article there's another misspelled Farenheight

Tesore

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:53 pm   Reply with quote         

Wink

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:02 pm   Reply with quote         

Quote:
Hope this helps us Americans to think with the same mindset as our European neighbors.
Next in the series should be an article about the exotic and mind-boggling metric system for measuring, among other things, distances, areas, volumes and weights that our European neighbors (plus all other countries except for the United States, Burma and Liberia) use.

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:11 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks Vokaris regarding spelling changes and info on Europe not being the only country. I guess the title of the graphic with smilies (and European neighbors comment) was misleading and might cause people to think I was implying this, so I changed it.

I made changes to the Fahrenheit spelling. Thanks for pointing it out.

vokaris wrote:
And it's really not that hard, even for Americans, to remember how the Celsius scale works: at 0°C water freezes, at 100°C water boils, how hard is that? .

Pretty hard, actually.
Not sure I remember the last time I thought to myself "Wow, it's so hot, it feels like I'm 55°C short of boiling in a pot of water."

Keep in mind that I'm trying to compare an overall feeling of weather temperatures as we relate to them on a day to day basis. I not trying to write a science paper.

Again, thanks for the input.

Tesore

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:35 pm   Reply with quote         

Your welcome Rolling Eyes

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:03 pm   Reply with quote         

Tesore wrote:
Your welcome Rolling Eyes

Sorry Tesore, I thought you were making a joke. Are you recommending to me to put those as the descriptions for smilies?

vokaris wrote:
Quote:
Next in the series should be an article about the exotic and mind-boggling metric system for measuring, among other things, distances, areas, volumes and weights that our European neighbors (plus all other countries except for the United States, Burma and Liberia) use.

We haven't adopted it yet, because we know it pisses everyone else off. Cool

glennhanna

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:30 pm   Reply with quote         

I like our system. A foot is a foot, just take your shoe off and that's the distance you'll have to travel if you were taking a sobriety test. Only drug users use the Metric system with grams, kilo's, etc. (in the USA). Ok, we are screwed up, it doesn't make sense using our fingers, toes, and feet to measure things, and have 32 degrees equal freezing, and 5280 feet equal a mile... I just think it's because it would cost $14.4 trillion to fix all our road signs, scales, cars, and rewrite all of our books. Do you guys use the 10 month calendar and split your day up into 100 hour units? If not, that should be next.

sage

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:07 pm   Reply with quote         

Tesore wrote:

Wink

haha! Here, -30°C...cold, -40°C... hope the car starts so I can go skiing! (talking windchill factor, of course...)

annajon

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:04 am   Reply with quote         

5 to 7 degrees C is what you hope your refridgerator is, after you bought all your weekend shopping.

-18 degrees C is what your freezer is, after you bought all your supplies to keep you over for a few months.

Zero degrees C is where water starts freezing, this is 32 degrees F.

Everything between zero and 10 degrees C is what we would love to settle for in winter, if only it would not rain all the time.

Everything between 10 and 20 degrees C is what we would love to settle for in spring, if only it would not rain all the time.

Everything between 20 and 25 degrees C is what we would love to settle for in summer, with a little rain at night, to keep the gardens going.

Body temperature various from 36(37) normal to 40(41) hight temp when you are ill.

What becomes a dangereous temperature for the body is also an unwelcome temperature to be living in, just like in the Farenheit.

Everage temperatures in Europe in winter: minus 40 degrees C in Moskow to plus 20 degrees in the mild climate in Portugal.

Everage temperatures in Europe in summer: everything between plus 10 to plus 45 (but usually not in the Low Countries, there it gets stuck at plus 30 0n extreme days)

So, if you remember the fridge (plus 5 to plus 7 C) and you three star freezer (minus 18 C)

and you remember 20 degrees as a nice temperature to start the summer with,

and you remember 36/37 C as normal body temperature and 40/41 C as high temp when you are very sick,

then you have your guideline to work with.

supak0ma

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:05 am   Reply with quote         

the brits still use stones to weigh people!!! STONES!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Tesore

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:05 am   Reply with quote         

That's true Shocked

Laughing

anfa

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:05 am   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
the brits get stoned to weigh people!!! STONED!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yes, this is true. Wink

seamusoisin

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:10 am   Reply with quote         

Tesore wrote:
That's true Shocked

Laughing

Jeez for a minute I thought Charlie Watt was Martin Short!

Most people here were brought up with one or the other. Myself and a few others here were brought up with the Imperial system and the Metric was introduced here mid 70's. Even today I have not stopped converting and reverting back. The change here in Canada was not complete and this led to confusion and price gouging. We used to buy a quart (40oz. Imperial) of oil and then the next day they were selling a litre (.88 of an imperial quart) for the same price. Not surprising since big oil has been sticking it to the consumer forever. The change was not complete we continue to operate under two systems. One of the interesting confusions was the famous "Gimli Glider"
http://www.wadenelson.com/gimli.html that nearly ended in a horrific accident.

The redeeming factors that the metric system is it's based on ten and easy to calcuate but there is uniformity which was not there before. US. gal = 3.6 litres and the UK gallon = 4.5 litres so ther is confusion here as when we buy a US product claiming to be a gallon is not the gallon we are used to.

http://burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com/

Be my assbook friend
annajon

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:59 am   Reply with quote         

They should have send Napoleon to the Americas, not to his prison island. Then he could have sorted everything out forgood.

After all, we owe right hand driving, and the metric system to Napoleon. He got fed up being stitched up by the tradesmen in all the different countries he invaded.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Need Feedback from Europeans... - Reply to topic