Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - What to charge? - Reply to topic

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:56 am   Reply with quote         

I've been given the opportunity to take some photos for a reality company in my neighborhood. I took some pictures for them before for free (just three shots).

They want about 50 shots of the inside of the neighborhood clubhouse. The deadline is Monday morning around 11-ish I would assume (it's now 7:00 am sunday morning here...).

I've never charged for photography, and they want to know how much I charge. What is a reasonable amount for a 20 year old amateur photographer to charge, given the timeline I have to get it done?

TofuTheGreat

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:02 am   Reply with quote         

TutorMe wrote:
I've been given the opportunity to take some photos for a reality company in my neighborhood. I took some pictures for them before for free (just three shots).

They want about 50 shots of the inside of the neighborhood clubhouse. The deadline is Monday morning around 11-ish I would assume (it's now 7:00 am sunday morning here...).

I've never charged for photography, and they want to know how much I charge. What is a reasonable amount for a 20 year old amateur photographer to charge, given the timeline I have to get it done?
two fiddy.

nat_g31

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:10 am   Reply with quote         

Is it a "Reality" company or a "Realty" company? Laughing

“I had a dream I could buy my way to heaven, when I awoke I spent that on a necklace.”~~~ Kanye West
TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:13 am   Reply with quote         

Realty. Due to reasons partly beyond my control, I haven't slept in 76 hours and now that I finally have chance, I can't fall asleep. -___- please forgive my typo

nat_g31

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:38 am   Reply with quote         

Someone asked me to do something like this before. Just factor out how much time it will take, what it will be used for. Charge em cheap and use it in your portfolio to get future jobs???

“I had a dream I could buy my way to heaven, when I awoke I spent that on a necklace.”~~~ Kanye West
ReyRey

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:40 am   Reply with quote         

Make it three hundred to cover your expenses.
Unless it's a friend, then you charge four hundred.

anfa

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:45 am   Reply with quote         

Stick the barrel of the gun in his face and shout "EMPTY THE CASH REGISTER, BITCH!!!".

Hope this helps. Smile

supak0ma

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:49 am   Reply with quote         

to get 50 GOOD shots is a LOT of work, and in such a limited time! good luck bro, i'd charge them by the shot

ReinMan

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:03 pm   Reply with quote         

$10 a "keeper" image would be very fair.

This would, I suspect, put it in the ballpark of ReyRey's recommended fee.

If you go flat rate (let's say $300, which is a bargain for them) make sure you have a cap on how many you supply them with in hi-rez.

You need to control your post-production commitment as well. If you are just shooting and then handing them the files from the camera, then the above fees are fair. If they expect you to crop and do levels and clone wall stains, then you need a fee for that too. Believe me, post production can take up more time than shooting sometimes. Specially if you are shooting fast, which it seems you need to here.

In the end, what would YOU feel good getting, money-wise? You want to feel no resentment at the end of the day. For a 20 year old dude, $300~500 should help keep the resentment-wolves at bay, I would think! Wink

blue_lurker

Post Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:04 am   Reply with quote         

I find some times charging an hourly rate becomes a better tool for negotiations when a multitude of images are required. That way if I spend 3 - 4 hours taking photos and they just pick 3-5 images I still get paid for my time.

I do a lot of real estate images and have had not trouble with this method, in saying that i now have about 5 permanent clients that have a single price for the complete package from photo to flyer and Internet usage.

On average per hour I charge between $35- $55 dollars an hour depending on the estate agent, I do a lot of independent work and find more return service at a lesser rate...after a few jobs I knock it up a little.

With the overall package it depends on the agent as well, I have 2 large agents and I charge them a little more than the smaller one.

I know its hard but when I started out I under cut a lot of other people to get the work and then went on later once I had proven my worth and bumped it up.

Hope that helps mate

ReinMan

Post Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:28 am   Reply with quote         

Blurker makes a very good point. If you are planning on doing MORE of this kind of work, a "keep 'em coming" strategy is a good idea. Start low (but not too low - very hard to make BIG bumps in your fees at any given time) and then, as your confidence and value increases, knock up your rates.

But if you are thinking seriously of making a living from your creative abilities, you may want to wait until you can legally drink before starting down this long & winding path... Twisted Evil

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - What to charge? - Reply to topic