Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - PS CS5 - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Which PS is the overall best

cs3

13%

13%

[ 3 ]

cs4

22%

22%

[ 5 ]

cs5

63%

63%

[ 14 ]

Total Votes: 22

Pictorescue

Post Fri May 14, 2010 11:48 pm   Reply with quote         

Cartoon Contractor wrote:
Pictorescue wrote:

Second, for some reason it does not support Open GL for my graphics card when using the rotate tool, but it did in CS4 ... I wrote Adobe about it 2 weeks ago, but no answer yet. So now I often return to CS4 when I need to be able to rotate images during editing.

It does support Open GL
The rotate tool is behind the hand tool.
If it isn't turned on go to preferences and check the Open GL box. Wink

I rotate the canvas with the touch ring on the tablet Wink

Preferences: this option is grayed out - definitely a compatibility issue with the hardware in CS5 (while working flawlessly in CS4)

UPDATE: I found a fix for the missing Open GL functionality in CS5 - as a newbie I cannot post the link on this forum yet - but search for "no gpu options available with photoshop standard" and you will find a post on the Adobe forum with a registry fix for CS 4, replace the version number 11 (CS4) into 12 (CS5), add to the registry and the problem is fixed. The reg entry looks like this:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Photoshop\12.0]
"AllowOldGPUS"=dword:00000001

MonkeeDrummer

Post Sat May 15, 2010 11:07 am   Reply with quote         

Pictorescue wrote:
Pictorescue wrote:

Second, for some reason it does not support Open GL for my graphics card when using the rotate tool, but it did in CS4 ... I wrote Adobe about it 2 weeks ago, but no answer yet. So now I often return to CS4 when I need to be able to rotate images during editing.

It does support Open GL

Preferences: this option is grayed out - definitely a compatibility issue with the hardware in CS5 (while working flawlessly in CS4)

UPDATE: I found a fix for the missing Open GL functionality in CS5 - as a newbie I cannot post the link on this forum yet - but search for "no gpu options available with photoshop standard" and you will find a post on the Adobe forum with a registry fix for CS 4, replace the version number 11 (CS4) into 12 (CS5), add to the registry and the problem is fixed. The reg entry looks like this:

I have CS5, and an Intuos4 tablet and my rotate tool has worked the whole time... Must be cuz Mac's are better. Wink

Cartoon Contractor

Post Sat May 15, 2010 11:45 am   Reply with quote         

MonkeeDrummer wrote:
Pictorescue wrote:
Pictorescue wrote:

It does support Open GL

I have CS5, and an Intuos4 tablet and my rotate tool has worked the whole time... Must be cuz Mac's are better. Wink

Yep, must be a Mac thing! I didn't have any problem either! thumright Friggin PC's are crap! Laughing Laughing Laughing
WINDOWS!! The only windows I like are the ones I look out of! Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing

Pictorescue

Post Sat May 15, 2010 12:34 pm   Reply with quote         

MonkeeDrummer wrote:
Pictorescue wrote:
Pictorescue wrote:

It does support Open GL

Yep, must be a Mac thing! I didn't have any problem either! thumright Friggin PC's are crap! Laughing Laughing Laughing
WINDOWS!! The only windows I like are the ones I look out of! Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing

Guess you are both happy now to finally work in 64bit PS, where the Win community was able to do so 1.5 years ago ... Just imagine when you "WOW" at passing the 4Gb RAM limit that this is what the rest of the world considers old news Wink

I don't understand this Apple chauvinism. You pay more and get less. Maybe it works better out of the box, but did you ever try to tweak an Apple? No, and that's why you are 1.5 years behind (the 64 bit ...).
As for the sympathy one could have for Apple, maybe rightfully so in the past but currently it is the least "open" platform in the industry. As Adobe says "I love Apple", but ... (did you see their new campaign?).

My 1500 EUR desktop with 12Gb, Win7, 1.5 Tb disk and GTX206/895Mb starts CS5 in exactly 5 seconds. Try that on a Mac of this price ...

MonkeeDrummer

Post Sat May 15, 2010 12:51 pm   Reply with quote         

Pictorescue wrote:

Guess you are both happy now to finally work in 64bit PS, where the Win community was able to do so 1.5 years ago ... Just imagine when you "WOW" at passing the 4Gb RAM limit that this is what the rest of the world considers old news Wink

I don't understand this Apple chauvinism. You pay more and get less. Maybe it works better out of the box, but did you ever try to tweak an Apple? No, and that's why you are 1.5 years behind (the 64 bit ...).
As for the sympathy one could have for Apple, maybe rightfully so in the past but currently it is the least "open" platform in the industry. As Adobe says "I love Apple", but ... (did you see their new campaign?).

My 1500 EUR desktop with 12Gb, Win7, 1.5 Tb disk and GTX206/895Mb starts CS5 in exactly 5 seconds. Try that on a Mac of this price ...

Mac's don't need 12gb, they can have 8gb (at least mine can), and they don't need it, 4gb (what I have) runs faster than 8gb on some stupid windows comp anyway. Oh, and I just started PS to test it, 3 seconds. You have 8gb MORE than I do and I still run faster... Hmm Raising Brow

But hey, whatever, it's all personal preference, I know people who won't use either, their Linux only guys, so it doesn't really matter, if you're happy with it, that's all that matters. Very Happy

Pictorescue

Post Sat May 15, 2010 1:03 pm   Reply with quote         

MonkeeDrummer wrote:
Pictorescue wrote:

Mac's don't need 12gb, they can have 8gb (at least mine can), and they don't need it, 4gb (what I have) runs faster than 8gb on some stupid windows comp anyway. Oh, and I just started PS to test it, 3 seconds. You have 8gb MORE than I do and I still run faster... Hmm Raising Brow

But hey, whatever, it's all personal preference, I know people who won't use either, their Linux only guys, so it doesn't really matter, if you're happy with it, that's all that matters. Very Happy

Agree with the personal preference and if I could run all the software I need on Linux, I would not go for either of the big (2) names.

So you have CS5 as well. How do you compare it with CS4? Happy or (like me) somewhat disappointed?

MonkeeDrummer

Post Sat May 15, 2010 1:22 pm   Reply with quote         

I actually never even got to look at CS4, let alone use it. I upgraded straight from CS3, and I'm very pleased with all the new features (idk how much of it is new from CS4 though.) The rotatable canvas in one of my fav features so far and I know that's not new from CS4. Mr. Green

Tommeken

Post Sat May 15, 2010 1:51 pm   Reply with quote         

you guys have really slow stuff..mine started in 2sec.. Laughing
not that it really matters... Wink
so far i used the content aware stuff and it's pretty awsome..but ya have to be carefull for repeating patterns...but still it's a lot faster than a clean up with cs4 or cs3..
i didn't had the chance to use the puppetwrap, but i've seen what ya could do with it..and thumbs up Razz

i was addicted to cs3 and i wasn't a fan from cs4...
but i like this one...
it's more stable and in my opinion a bit faster to...
I havent try'd everything but it's an awsome program...
bout the 3d options..i don't know cause it's only available in the extended version..witch i don't have Laughing
maybe tonight i'll try more and make an awsome chop Shocked Laughing
as if Laughing

Pictorescue

Post Sat May 15, 2010 2:15 pm   Reply with quote         

Tommeken wrote:
so far i used the content aware stuff and it's pretty awsome..but ya have to be carefull for repeating patterns...but still it's a lot faster than a clean up with cs4 or cs3..
i didn't had the chance to use the puppetwrap, but i've seen what ya could do with it..and thumbs up Razz

but i like this one...
bout the 3d options..i don't know cause it's only available in the extended version..witch i don't have Laughing
as if Laughing

wow, 2 secs. after boot or using cache? any extra plug-ins, GPU enabled etc? what kind of config you have? just curious ...

MonkeeDrummer

Post Sat May 15, 2010 2:53 pm   Reply with quote         

Tommeken wrote:

but i like this one...
as if Laughing

Haha mine was about 2.5 but I rounded up, cuz 2 seconds just sounds crazy! But hey, it's the truth.
I have the extended version and I have no clue about any of the 3d stuff, I have Blender 3d also and I don't know how to use that stuff either Confused

pakimo

Post Sat May 15, 2010 3:07 pm   Reply with quote         

My win7ultimate 64-bit selfbuilt pc starts ps4 in 5 seconds. Has a few plugins and uses gpu-support. And lots of fonts. My graphic rating has a 7,7 rating in the win-index. The CPU has a 7,1 rating.

Tommeken

Post Sat May 15, 2010 3:13 pm   Reply with quote         

Pictorescue wrote:
Tommeken wrote:

but i like this one...
as if Laughing

wow, 2 secs. after boot or using cache? any extra plug-ins, GPU enabled etc? what kind of config you have? just curious ...

well i really don't know..my brother build this computer for me..only thing i know is..it's a fast one Laughing
i know it uses gpu-power..but the how and what i don't know

pakimo

Post Sat May 15, 2010 3:46 pm   Reply with quote         

pakimo wrote:
My win7ultimate 64-bit selfbuilt pc starts ps4 in 5 seconds. Has a few plugins and uses gpu-support. And lots of fonts. My graphic rating has a 7,7 rating in the win-index. The CPU has a 7,1 rating.
Now I tested opening using cache: Took 2,5 seconds. Half the time. cheers

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 pm   Reply with quote         

yeah I never got CS4 either still on 3, was waiting for a more prolific upgrade, so may consider 5 soon

Cartoon Contractor

Post Sat May 15, 2010 11:01 pm   Reply with quote         

Mine starts in approx. 2 sec too! iMac 2.8ghz intel core i7 8gb 1067 mhz DDR3 1tb hd no plugins. out the box upgrade. Good enough for me! Wink

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - PS CS5 - Reply to topic