Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - This is a real worry,if it's true! - Reply to topic

Wiz

Post Sun May 30, 2010 8:42 am   Reply with quote         

Those back-Up files you've got stashed away might have lost all or some of it's Data! Check out this BBC Tech Page about it.

Scary, if you're like me and have a heap of Adobe stuff on disc, apart from all the DC image stuff.

Wadya think?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/8711747.stm

Wiz Shocked

supak0ma

Post Sun May 30, 2010 10:32 am   Reply with quote         

it is true, i thought this was common knowledge by now, you see, the special ink (the one that gets "burned" by the laser) will fade with time, the cheaper the ink treatment, the shorter its life.

MamaBallistic

Post Sun May 30, 2010 10:44 am   Reply with quote         

This is always a thing that worries me, as storage discs are a fantastic idea but the life of them can be disappointing if you use cheaper discs.

Guess I wait for another couple of years & see how my treasured memories are holding up on disc ... in the meantime I'm hoping for the best.

Michel

Post Sun May 30, 2010 10:48 am   Reply with quote         

People that do archiving professionally have known that for years. The problem is with home made CDs and DVDs, they were created with heat and will deteriorate with heat. If you want to keep something safe, just back it up on an external drive and keep it somewhere else than home. You should get rid of those old home made CD-ROMs, put them on a hard drive ASAP.

ReinMan

Post Sun May 30, 2010 11:03 am   Reply with quote         

I've (for the last 5 years) used this method for backup: one copy on DVD (semi-temp, medium term storage), one copy on my "time machine" backup (short term backup) and one copy on my big external drive. I have a 2nd copy of the big external drive that I back up every month.

TRUE STORY: recently, I went to dig up some client stuff off a DVD from around 2004 - and half the files would NOT load up. Shocked I was lucky that an old shitty PC I have kicking around here did read the disk, eventually, and I was able to save the day. After the client left I went out and bought ANOTHER external harddrive and proceeded, over the next couple weeks, transferring ALL my DVD backups to it, as best I could.

My new policy: use DVD-R to hand a nice looking disk to clients, but I tell them to BACK UP TO HARD DRIVE as soon as they can, and not rely on the DVD for more than a few years.

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Sun May 30, 2010 1:04 pm   Reply with quote         

I heard that years ago, and I would have thought it was obvious that most forms of back up over used and not properly maintained would degrade.

Tesore

Post Sun May 30, 2010 1:51 pm   Reply with quote         

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiyo_Yuden

$ € $ € $ €

A friend told me: they stay cool for a 100 years... and the golden 300-400 years.
That's enough I think Wink

I agree with Michel about the external drive.

TofuTheGreat

Post Sun May 30, 2010 8:27 pm   Reply with quote         

I remember talking about this a couple years ago.

janetdog

Post Mon May 31, 2010 3:20 pm   Reply with quote         

I've got back up dvd's that have never been touched by human hands. I thought they were set in stone. Damn.

Cd's and Dvd's always seemed like such a rip off. Mainly because of their delicacy. I had a high end sony cd player in my car for years that left tractor marks across brand new cd's.

Discs were originally supposed to be bullet proof, flexible without breaking, scratchproof and heatproof. They were supposed to be the same quality play after play. Everything tapes and vinyl weren't. That was the way the technology was advertised. Thank sony for the crap we got instead.

Post Mon May 31, 2010 4:12 pm   Reply with quote         

As a DBA, I'll add that the technology curve also applies pressure on ensuring your data is not only archivable but retrivable on that same media years later.

Migration of backups from one media to another is a royal pain.

A usable parallel/hot-standby drive is a nice alternative.

Michel

Post Mon May 31, 2010 9:29 pm   Reply with quote         

janetdog wrote:
I've got back up dvd's that have never been touched by human hands. I thought they were set in stone. Damn.

Cd's and Dvd's always seemed like such a rip off. Mainly because of their delicacy. I had a high end sony cd player in my car for years that left tractor marks across brand new cd's.

Discs were originally supposed to be bullet proof, flexible without breaking, scratchproof and heatproof. They were supposed to be the same quality play after play. Everything tapes and vinyl weren't. That was the way the technology was advertised. Thank sony for the crap we got instead.

CDs and DVDs that are manufactured are not to be confused with the crap version we can "burn" at home. The manufactured version is actually pressed and is supposed to last a very long time.

blue_lurker

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:18 am   Reply with quote         

DVD RAM if its ok for the Australian Military then its fine with me

supak0ma

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:07 am   Reply with quote         

Michel wrote:
janetdog wrote:

CDs and DVDs that are manufactured are not to be confused with the crap version we can "burn" at home. The manufactured version is actually pressed and is supposed to last a very long time.

..."The Recordable Audio CD is typically somewhat more expensive than CD-R due to (a) lower volume and (b) a 3% AHRA royalty used to compensate the music industry for the making of a copy..."

seems like piracy has been taken care of but noone told us Razz

Mir

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:49 am   Reply with quote         

The problem is that not even an external hard drive is a sure bet. I had loads of stuff saved on an external hard drive and all of a sudden it crashed and nothing on it could be retrieved. Now I'm more scared of saving on an external than on a dvd-R. Sad
kinetic_be

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:18 am   Reply with quote         

I always go for External HDD.
Even when the UBS or S-ATA connection fails, you can remove the enclosure, and you find a typical harddrive they use for computers or small drives for laptops, which you can read from any computer with ATA or S-ATA connectors.

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - This is a real worry,if it's true! - Reply to topic