Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Requests ONLY - Wordpress and php - two problems to fix - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Michel

Post Mon May 24, 2010 8:24 pm   Reply with quote         

I am setting up a wp based web shop for a co-worker on my server. It is working pretty well so far, I am compensating my lack of php knowledge by adding plugins and quoting out the coding I don't need. There are only two issues I haven't been able to solve. I have asked on the wordpress.org forum, but didn't get any help so far. I will post them here, in case anyone can help me.

Multiples pages for RSS feed excerpts
edit: this problem got fixed!

I have a wp-based website for an online shop. The items are listed as posts, the navigation is based on categories. To display thumbnails of the items in the category pages, I have used the_excerpt_rss() in archive.php and put thumbnails in the excerpts field of each post. It works beautifully, but I also would like to limit the number of thumbnails appearing on the category pages and have a "next" link to other pages if more items exist for that category.

Is there some kind of plugin that exists for that purpose? I looked into NextGen Gallery, but there seems to be way too much steps involved for the user when adding a new post item. Did I go the wrong path by using RSS links instead of, say attaching thumbnails to individual posts and having those appear in the archive.php page?

wp_list_categories, displaying children links only
edit: this problem got fixed!

I have a wp-based website for an online shop. The items are listed as posts, the navigation is based on categories. For parent category pages (archive.php), I want to have the children categories listed as links. I don't want to code every parent page individually (child_of=x). I've found the following code, but there seems to be an error somewhere, as not only the children categories are listed, but all of the website's categories.

<?php
$children = wp_list_categories('title_li=&child_of='.$category->cat_ID.'&echo=0');
if ($children) { ?>

<?php echo $children; ?>
<?php } ?>

The website can be found here.

Procyon
Site Admin

Post Tue May 25, 2010 1:05 pm   Reply with quote         

any luck with this?

Post Tue May 25, 2010 2:14 pm   Reply with quote         

Michel wrote:
...To display thumbnails of the items in the category pages, I have used the_excerpt_rss() in archive.php and put thumbnails in the excerpts field of each post. It works beautifully, but I also would like to limit the number of thumbnails appearing on the category pages and have a "next" link to other pages if more items exist for that category.

Is there some kind of plugin that exists for that purpose?

You could try linking in to jQuery and using the ColorBox plugin. Then what you'd do is hide every thumbnail but the first. The ColorBox plugin allows you to group the images for an elegant slideshow interface.

Code:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="/css/colorbox.css" type="text/css" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4.2/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script language="JavaScript" src="/js/jquery.colorbox-min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
/*<![CDATA[*/
  $(function(){
      $("a[rel='thumbnail']").hide().colorbox(); //activates the image viewer on all images with the rel="thumbnail" attribute
      $("a[rel='thumbnail']:first).show;
  })
/*]]>*/
</script>
Haven't tested that but it might work. Question

For the second question are your categories in a database table? If so then it appears that you want a simple recursion function to build the list of categories. I've done this with ASP/VBScript but not with PHP. I'm sure Trey, Tony or Supa could provide some syntax help there?

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue May 25, 2010 2:32 pm   Reply with quote         

For my solution to part II you'd need the following categories table structure:
Code:

CatID  P_CatID  Description
-----  -------  --------------------------
1      0        Parent Level 1
2      0        Parent Level 2
3      1        Child1 to Parent Level 1
4      1        Child2 to Parent Level 1
5      2        Child1 to Parent Level 2

Then we have the recursion routine loop through that table (semi-psuedocode here):
Code:

function DoList(Passed_CatID)
  sqlCommand = "SELECT * FROM Categories WHERE P_CatID = [Passed_CatID]"
  categories = execute(sqlCommand)
  echo("<ul>")
  do while not categories end
    echo("<li>"+categories(Description)+"</li>"
    DoList(categories(CatID))
  loop
  echo("</ul>")
end function

DoList(0)

Again the above is NOT language-specific syntax for any language I've seen. However it should be translatable into PHP by someone who knows PHP. The output should be:
Code:
<ul>
  <li>Parent Level 1
    <ul>
      <li>Child1 to Parent Level 1</li>
      <li>Child2 to Parent Level 1</li>
    </ul>
  </li>
  <li>Parent Level 2
    <ul>
      <li>Child1 to Parent Level 2</li>
    </ul>
  </li>
</ul>

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue May 25, 2010 2:38 pm   Reply with quote         

Also, after looking a bit closer, your current code is putting the entire description into the title attribute of the link. This could be affecting the rendering of the list as the descriptions could have quotes that prematurely end the title attribute.

Sample from your site:
Code:
<h1>Vêtements</h1>

<ul>
         <li class="cat-item cat-item-3"><a href="http://blueheronvisions.com/recup-o-jouets/category/apprentissages/" title="">Apprentissages</a>
<ul class="children">
   <li class="cat-item cat-item-85"><a href="http://blueheronvisions.com/recup-o-jouets/category/apprentissages/developpement/" title=".

DÉVELOPPEMENT PERCEPTIVO-COGNITIF

Perceptivo: Tout ce qui appelle à la perception. Reconnaître un objet parmi  plusieurs, lequel est pareil, pas pareil.

Exemple de jouets: Casse-tête, bloc Légo (relation pièce dans espace spatial)

Cognitif: Développement de l’intelligence. Tout ce qui fait appel au cerveau,

la  mémoire, l’attention, la planification d’une tâche, la  concentration et la logique.

Bébé:  Touche quelque chose apporte un son, principe ACTION-RÉACTION.
Casse-tête:tel morceau va à tel place dû à sa forme.

-

-

-

-

MOTRICITÉ GLOBALE

Activités motrices sollicitant plusieurs ou l'ensemble des parties du corps qui nécessitent l'intervention et la coordination de groupes musculaires importants.
Ex: marche,  course, saut, natation, lancer, etc...

-

-

-

-

MOTRICITÉ FINE

La motricité fine vise à développer les mouvements fins qui  permettent un meilleur contrôle et une meilleure coordination des  doigts, des mains, des yeux, etc. Elle tend à renforcer les membres  supérieurs.

Par définition, la motricité fine est ce qui permet de manier des  objets, les ramasser, les manipuler et les lâcher en utilisant la main,  les doigts et le pouce, comme ramasser des pièces de monnaie sur une  table, tourner un cadran de téléphone ou un bouton.

Le développement de la motricité fine fera travailler l'enfant de façon à ce qu'il apprenne à se servir de ses doigts plutôt que la main complète.

Ex: Le  bambin très jeune prendra les objets avec ses mains comme une  pince(mouvement quadridigitale).

Exemple de jouet: Boulier, collier, bricolage, un hochet, etc...

-

-

-

-

DÉVELOPPEMENT SENSORIEL

C'est l'évolution des acquisitions  sensorielles et motrices d'un individu. Soit l'audition, l'olfaction(odeur), goût, vision et le toucher.

Exemple de jouet de bébé:
Tapis d'éveil, mobile de lit, jouet musical

-

-

-

-

JEUX D'IMITATION

Les jeux d'imitation sont des jeux/jouets qui permettent aux enfants de faire comme les grands. Ils permettent d'imiter maman, papa, le mécanicien, la coiffeuse, etc...

C'est entre 2 et 6 ans que le besoin pour l'enfant de jouer à ce type de jeux ce manifeste. Il permet à l'enfant de comprendre le fonctionnement du monde qui l'entoure, de comprendre les relations entre les individus ainsi que les rôles sociaux.

Exemple de jouet d'imitation:

Établie, cuisine, costume de déguisement et même une boîte de carton qu'on peut transformer en château pour la princesse !
 ">Développement de l'enfant</a>
</li>

Michel

Post Tue May 25, 2010 5:05 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
Michel wrote:
...To display thumbnails of the items in the category pages, I have used the_excerpt_rss() in archive.php and put thumbnails in the excerpts field of each post. It works beautifully, but I also would like to limit the number of thumbnails appearing on the category pages and have a "next" link to other pages if more items exist for that category.

Is there some kind of plugin that exists for that purpose?

You could try linking in to jQuery and using the ColorBox plugin. Then what you'd do is hide every thumbnail but the first. The ColorBox plugin allows you to group the images for an elegant slideshow interface.

From what I have seen, ColorBox is alike thickbox, which I already use on the page ( and I LOVE it! ). I was thinking of something like what is found here. The same way the results are displayed on the page, I would have a limited amount of thumbnails displayed on my page and the rest could be accessed with a 'next' button.

TofuTheGreat wrote:
For the second question are your categories in a database table? If so then it appears that you want a simple recursion function to build the list of categories. I've done this with ASP/VBScript but not with PHP. I'm sure Trey, Tony or Supa could provide some syntax help there?

The data is put in a mysql database by wp, the categories are already classified in a family tree. The wp_list_categories wp template tag displays a list of categories as links, the child_of argument makes it so that only the child of a certain category are displayed. They expect me to put child_of='ID number of the category', but I want it to display the childs of the CURRENT category page being displayed. wp doesn't seem to pickup on my '.$category->cat_ID.'&echo=0' integer, so it displays everything.

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue May 25, 2010 5:51 pm   Reply with quote         

Michel wrote:
From what I have seen, ColorBox is alike thickbox, which I already use on the page ( and I LOVE it! ). I was thinking of something like what is found here. The same way the results are displayed on the page, I would have a limited amount of thumbnails displayed on my page and the rest could be accessed with a 'next' button.

Yep ColorBox is quite a bit like ThickBox (and facebox). I've used Facebox in the past but I prefer the functionality and control I have with ColorBox. Haven't played with ThickBox personally so I can't compare. All three are jQuery plugins though so you're good to go no matter which one you use. Just the integration will be different. I did notice that WP says:
Quote:
For the native wordpress galleries the plugin inserts the "thickbox" class name and rel properties automatically.
So maybe you should stay with thickbox? I've never used WordPress myself so I don't know how to activate the plugins in the interface.

I'll have to look up the WP database structures to give any further help on the category issues. Won't really have time to do that until later in the week at the earliest. Hopefully Trey/Tony/Supa will decide to chime in soon. Smile

Michel

Post Tue May 25, 2010 6:15 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
Michel wrote:

Yep ColorBox is quite a bit like ThickBox (and facebox). I've used Facebox in the past but I prefer the functionality and control I have with ColorBox. Haven't played with ThickBox personally so I can't compare. All three are jQuery plugins though so you're good to go no matter which one you use. Just the integration will be different. I did notice that WP says:
Quote:
For the native wordpress galleries the plugin inserts the "thickbox" class name and rel properties automatically.
So maybe you should stay with thickbox? I've never used WordPress myself so I don't know how to activate the plugins in the interface.

I'll have to look up the WP database structures to give any further help on the category issues. Won't really have time to do that until later in the week at the earliest. Hopefully Trey/Tony/Supa will decide to chime in soon. Smile

Tofu, I thank you for your help, for some reason it made me hopeful that I might even find a solution myself for the problem regarding the multiple pages.

Here's my ideas: I know there's already bits of codes that generates multiple pages in wp, the search box is one example; I will take a look at that code and try to adapt it to my needs. I'll be less hopeful once I've been working on it for 5 hours if nothing comes out of it. Wink

Michel

Post Tue May 25, 2010 7:21 pm   Reply with quote         

Problem number one is resolved. I had deleted much of the stuff I thought I wouldn't need in the coding. The search box code was written to archive.php and I had deleted it. I just added a plugin called WP-PageNavi and called the function with <?php wp_pagenavi(); ?> and it worked like magic!

In wp, there's a setting about how many links you want displayed on a page, if the amount of links on a certain category page is greater than the number of link/page setting, TA-DA the page navigation appears.

I might try to put the old navigation code back in, because I don't like putting too many plugins. Shame on me for deleting all that code! Embarassed

Michel

Post Tue May 25, 2010 8:17 pm   Reply with quote         

Solved! The right syntax was :

<?php
$children = wp_list_categories('title_li=&child_of='.$cat.'&echo=0');
if ($children) { ?>

<?php echo $children; ?>
<?php } ?>

I'm sorry, but code is not poetry, code is a pain in the butt!

Thanks Tofu, you've helped me more than you'd know, I was feeling like I was going nowhere with this thing.

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Tue May 25, 2010 8:20 pm   Reply with quote         

wow, so many letter and numbers and pointy arrow things scratch

you lost me at..... (scrolls up for first word)....

I

Michel

Post Tue May 25, 2010 8:29 pm   Reply with quote         

marcoballistic wrote:
wow, so many letter and numbers and pointy arrow things scratch

you lost me at..... (scrolls up for first word)....

I

Yeah, I know, but now my co-worker can start his small home business. And I make a few $$$ Very Happy

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Wed May 26, 2010 1:03 am   Reply with quote         

well just sorry couldn't help, looks like you got a few people in the know Smile

Good luck with it all

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed May 26, 2010 9:29 am   Reply with quote         

Michel wrote:
Solved! The right syntax was :

<?php
$children = wp_list_categories('title_li=&child_of='.$cat.'&echo=0');
if ($children) { ?>

<?php echo $children; ?>
<?php } ?>

I'm sorry, but code is not poetry, code is a pain in the butt!

Thanks Tofu, you've helped me more than you'd know, I was feeling like I was going nowhere with this thing.
Excellent! I'm glad you were able to solve it! Especially on your own! Makes ya feel good don't it? Whenever I solve a vexing programming issue I do "the programmer happy dance". Laughing

Plus I learned a couple things about PHP and WordPress that I didn't know before. Win-Win! Cool

Michel

Post Wed May 26, 2010 9:33 am   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
Whenever I solve a vexing programming issue I do "the programmer happy dance".

I'll have to Google that one, I'm sure there's a video out there about that...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Requests ONLY - Wordpress and php - two problems to fix - Reply to topic