Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - source images - Reply to topic

WhimSea

Post Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:48 pm   Reply with quote         

how are images rejected for the voting que? i've uploaded 3 and 2 were rejected. i'd like to know which and why because i have several more images i'd like to upload and if there is something wrong with them i'd like to know so i don't bother..

like is it resolution or content or they think i didn't take all my own photos or what?

anyone know?

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:49 pm   Reply with quote         

WhimSea wrote:
how are images rejected for the voting que? i've uploaded 3 and 2 were rejected. i'd like to know which and why because i have several more images i'd like to upload and if there is something wrong with them i'd like to know so i don't bother..

like is it resolution or content or they think i didn't take all my own photos or what?

anyone know?
Typically images will be rejected due to:
- wrong orientation - there are quite a few submitted images that are actually portrait orientation, rotated to landscape to fit the requirements
- low quality - blurry, pixellated, high compression jpg artifacts, pictures taken with a cell phone, etc.
- repeat images - numerous shots of the same subject from slightly different angles
- images used in H2H or other special events/games are "retired" and will show as "rejected" in your personal submitted images stats
- sometimes images may be rejected due to lack of general appeal, based on the reviewer's opinion of what probably wouldn't work as a PSC source

In the approval process, mods don't see who submitted a particular image. If you feel wronged, please pm a mod requesting assistance, explanation or simply venting.

WhimSea

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:34 am   Reply with quote         

- wrong orientation
nope. all regular landscape images.
- low quality - blurry, pixellated, high compression jpg artifacts, pictures taken with a cell phone, etc.
i don't own a cell phone! they were all about 4mbs, one is much better quality because it was a film camera, but my digital is 12mb
- repeat images - numerous shots of the same subject from slightly different angles
nope. all different images.
- images used in H2H or other special events/games are "retired" and will show as "rejected" in your personal submitted images stats
never been anywhere else
- sometimes images may be rejected due to lack of general appeal, based on the reviewer's opinion of what probably wouldn't work as a PSC source
now that's funny... seeing some of the uninspiring images i've seen given to us ;-D

In the approval process, mods don't see who submitted a particular image. If you feel wronged, please pm a mod requesting assistance, explanation or simply venting.[/quote]

ok. i pm'd YOU. you lucky dog, you!

blue_lurker

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:15 am   Reply with quote         

You uploaded 3 and 2 were rejected...thats about right...

You have had submitted 200 original images.
You have had 106 original images accepted and 92 rejected.
5 of your submitted images are currently in the voting queue.
Accepted: Free Ride, Red Bottle Brush, Gumnut Flowers, Round Eyed Creature, Dragons Heart, Relaxing Lunch, Water Sign, Bright Birds, fire Blanket, Sign of the Times, Brilliant Cave, Kangaroo, Scary Bird, Emu Chick, Beware of Rodents, Hot Gnomes, Berries, Rest Area, Log Dog, Yawning Cat, Wild Hair Friends, Crashing Wave, You Must Be This Tall, Cat Eyes, Clown Game, The Lurker Shack, Cactus Prickers, Elephant Ride, You Tell Em Statue, Sidewalk Lighting, Stained Glass Arch, Flowerball, Radial Bloom, Clean Up After Your Dog, Meerkat Lookout, Wagon Spokes, Toy Monster Truck, Swan Statue, Gardening Warrior, Photosynthesis, Rusty Truck, Woodman Suspended, Cattle On A Hill, Yellow Berries, River Crossing, Wooden Bike, Hairy Thoughts, Glowing Palm, Steadfast Avian, Buzzed Out Bee, Hikers Are Dangerous, Spanish Dancer, Cement Swans, Spiky Fruit Thingies, Taking Off, Cactus Rose, Magpie, Carousel Horse Head, Clay Mural, Fuchsia Bloom, Wooden Plane, Arm Disappearance, Beach Lamp, Clown Agape, Trumpeting, Little Wooden Bridge, Perth Skyline, Spinning A Web, Old Knotty, Glowing City, Monarch Spreads It, Sunflower Eye, Kilowatt Hours, Ripening Berries, Cannon, Donnelly River General, Greenish Lemon, Natural Frame, Meerkat Smile, The L Is Silent, Dino Skull, Plastic Ants, Dragon Slayer, Natural Bells, Lumberjack Statue, Pirate Bear, Silver Wizard, Pirate Bear, Glenfiddich, Elephant Trinket, Keens Curry, Stone Profile, Laying Bulb, Nerf Handgun, Dreams Of Flight, Wooden Tribal Mask, Olympus FE270, Banski Nut, Wooden Fish, Daisies, Parfum, Buddha Carved, Old Pemberton Station, Hanging Lantern, Daffodil, Squawkkkk!, Cock Of The Walk, 9 Star Flower, Jungle Ruins
upload image:

I see a 50-50 type deal going on.

So as Meatloaf would say

"So dont feel sad cause, Two outa Three aint bad"

YerPalAl

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:54 am   Reply with quote         

"- wrong orientation - there are quite a few submitted images that are actually portrait orientation, rotated to landscape to fit the requirements "

I have to say I wish I had known. I regularly submit wrong orientation purposely to give the largest and best quality image possible thinking just possibly this group of choppers might have enough mastery of Photoshop to be able to rotate the image 90 degrees to work on it. Apparently the powers that be don't have that much faith in the rank and file. This is the silliest reason for rejecting a submitted image I have heard yet!

Yuck

I won't do it any more. *shakes head in dismay*

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:16 am   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:
"- wrong orientation - there are quite a few submitted images that are actually portrait orientation, rotated to landscape to fit the requirements "

I have to say I wish I had known. I regularly submit wrong orientation purposely to give the largest and best quality image possible thinking just possibly this group of choppers might have enough mastery of Photoshop to be able to rotate the image 90 degrees to work on it. Apparently the powers that be don't have that much faith in the rank and file. This is the silliest reason for rejecting a submitted image I have heard yet!

Yuck

Laughing

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 am   Reply with quote         

Indeed 50-50 sounds about right.

You have had submitted 40 original images.
You have had 18 original images accepted and 15 rejected.
0 of your submitted images are currently in the voting queue

Though I seem to have 7 in limbo.

cafn8d

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:07 pm   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:

Yuck

I concur! In some recent thread when source size was being discussed, I suggested allowing portrait-style sources or even perfectly square dimensions, making all submitted sources either cropped or with a white/black bar along one edge. I know I was't the first to make such suggestions, and neither will I be the last...

Oh... and I concur with Tofu, too: "Laughing"

WhimSea

Post Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:44 am   Reply with quote         

i'm not sad... just uploaded 2 digital images from my new camera and one from back when i still used film. It was that last one that was accepted... so just wanted to figure out what type was better and now I can go thru my film images for more sources OR

if you have pointers for taking photos with a digital camera that has less digital noise in it, let's hear them!

i only recently made the switch to digital last october, basically left the iso at auto or set it at 200 on programmed mode, but when I used film, I never used anything less than 400, but usually used 800 and images were great. Would love to have same great looking images (even on closeup) from this digital camera.

canon powershot a1100IS, 12.1megapixels

WhimSea

Post Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:04 pm   Reply with quote         

i found this site that gives detailed info on my camera and regards to ISO settings, etc.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/canon_powershot_a1100_is_review/image_quality/

looks like ISO 80 or 100 is best, altho that is if you have great lighting, you'll still need a higher ISO for low lighting. The camera has a night shot setting which the images have looked great - have to see what they look like really zoomed it to see how the noise is tho.

Tesore

Post Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:57 pm   Reply with quote         

Quote:
Yuck

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

bigbuck

Post Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:17 pm   Reply with quote         

Quote:
You have had submitted 72 original images.
You have had 45 original images accepted and 25 rejected.
3 of your submitted images are currently in the voting queue.
Accepted: Natural Arch, Nasty Sink, Long Way Up, Gabbing Hand, Tall Ships, Spanish Moss, Sydney Opera House, Stained Glass Bird, Metal Ark, Bamboo Love, Angry Spongebob, Happy Frog, Big Buck Brewery, Pup Toy, Spongebob Monopoly, Granite Frog, Petrock, Row Your Boat, Thorough Graffiti, Antiquated Security, Brittle Pink Leaf, Fern Symmetry, Rough Cut, Blaupunkt, Hex Cuts, Giraffes, A Little Extra, Swamp Weed, Squirrels & Lemons, Bloom And Hand, Sickly, Cracked Oil Portrait, God Painting, Modern Art, Pink Facade, Ornate Eave, Plaid Teddy, Brass Mushroom Cloud, Fright Of The Tiger, Painted Guy, Smoking Painting, Dramatic Cockatiel, Old School Notes, Turtle Tummy, Scaly Little Fella, Organic Bottle Opener

cafn8d

Post Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:01 pm   Reply with quote         

bigbuck wrote:
Quote:
You have had submitted 72 original images.
You have had 45 original images accepted and 25 rejected.
3 of your submitted images are currently in the voting queue.
Accepted: Natural Arch, Nasty Sink, Long Way Up, Gabbing Hand, Tall Ships, Spanish Moss, Sydney Opera House, Stained Glass Bird, Metal Ark, Bamboo Love, Angry Spongebob, Happy Frog, Big Buck Brewery, Pup Toy, Spongebob Monopoly, Granite Frog, Petrock, Row Your Boat, Thorough Graffiti, Antiquated Security, Brittle Pink Leaf, Fern Symmetry, Rough Cut, Blaupunkt, Hex Cuts, Giraffes, A Little Extra, Swamp Weed, Squirrels & Lemons, Bloom And Hand, Sickly, Cracked Oil Portrait, God Painting, Modern Art, Pink Facade, Ornate Eave, Plaid Teddy, Brass Mushroom Cloud, Fright Of The Tiger, Painted Guy, Smoking Painting, Dramatic Cockatiel, Old School Notes, Turtle Tummy, Scaly Little Fella, Organic Bottle Opener

Um... something doesn't add up.... scratch

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - source images - Reply to topic