Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - For any employees out there - Reply to topic

Sucks?

Yes

0%

0%

[ 0 ]

YES

100%

100%

[ 8 ]

Total Votes: 8

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:05 pm   Reply with quote         

Know your rights ahead of time!
Mad

My wife worked for a veterinary clinic. Right after she got hired she got reprimanded for discussing wages and they lowered her pay rate by 10% for over 3 months.

She got laid off last year (on my birthday of all days). This past week we found out that any disciplinary action for discussing wages is ILLEGAL! (well in the USA it is anyway). This is true for union and non-union jobs!

The problem is that we appear to be well past the statute of limitations for getting her legal claim. Sad

So know your employee rights ahead of time! Don't get screwed over just because you didn't know!

Here's the link to the National Labor Relations Board. Established in 1935 to protect employees from unfair labor practices:

www.nlrb.gov

glennhanna

Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:56 pm   Reply with quote         

What have you found the Statutes of Limitations to be? Isn't it 2 years for a small crime?

and also,
Continuing violations doctrine

In tort law, if a defendant commits a series of illegal acts against another person, there is no statute of limitations. In the 8th Circuit case of Treanor v. MCI Telecommunications, Inc.', the court explained that the continuing violations doctrine "tolls the statute of limitations in situations where a continuing pattern forms due to [illegal] acts occurring over a period of time, as long as at least one incident of [tort] occurred within the limitations period."

So the start of the limitations would start on your birthday of last year? I think you have time.

What have you been told?

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:07 am   Reply with quote         

I wish it was that case Glenn. The reduction happened in 2007 from May to June/July of 2007. So the six-month clock apparently started ticking from then. Seems to me it should've started ticking from the last day of she worked there. Mad

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - For any employees out there - Reply to topic