Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Hyperealistic illustration. - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

glennhanna

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:49 am   Reply with quote         

What about the reverse. Turn something real into a painting?
http://www.dailybento.com/2011/01/amazing-acrylic-flesh-technique-of-alexa-meade/#more-45903

This is not photoshopped:

Luxwiz

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:01 am   Reply with quote         

glennhanna wrote:

Shocked awesome ... but I hope the guy doesn't have to go to the bathroom! Laughing

Luxwiz

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:07 am   Reply with quote         

Trann wrote:

This guy's was cleaner.

... Beethoven's Fifth Symphony I believe! Smile

Sh!Za

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:31 pm   Reply with quote         

Claf wrote:
Sh!Za wrote:
I've learned this hyper-realist painting @ school but I'm not a big fan of it... its not so difficult how you think!

You lucky! Here where I live, it never had anything like this.
Here we need to be autodidact and working hard (thousands of hours) to do good hyper-realistic stuff.
Like you, I think it is not so difficult, but most of people I met who tried a bit failed.
It is a lot harder than playing with Photoshop. You need to mix the colors by hand, to find the right viscosity,
and especially you need to develop a good dexterity.

Sh!Za wrote:
and exactly for that purpose we have lots of cameras...

When I was a commercial hyper-realistic illustrator, I was always asked to produce images that a photographer can't do.
There was no Photoshop, 100% was airbrush and painting.
When I look at the examples at Tofu's link, I see painting, I can feel the brushes, I don't see pictures.
Those images are different and more aesthetic than simple pictures.

Sh!Za wrote:
but to make a really good "not perfect" painting... this is art (hard)!

Both aren't easy, but yeah, I prefer something not perfect... and more creative.
Often, the hyper-realistic stuff aren't so creative.

Amen!
thats exactly that, what I tried to tell ya! thx claf!
There are so many artist, who can make such a hyper-realistic painting with a great execution... thats stunning for most people but thats not all! art is not only subjective, art is to BE creative!!!
And this is the reason why I LOVE surrealism! For example Dali used photos to get his painting almost realistic / perfect! but they will never become boring, cause he added personal ideas and combined them with real things in a surreal way to get ART!

Most hyper-realistic artist only project an image on their canvas and color the pxls out... and in my eyes thats not art!

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:34 pm   Reply with quote         

glennhanna wrote:
http://www.dailybento.com/2011/01/amazing-acrylic-flesh-technique-of-alexa-meade/#more-45903

This is awesome!
very creative, clever idea and a great excecution with a surreal touch!

Post Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:53 am   Reply with quote         

Paint a pretty picture, call it art.

Laughing

Shocked

Seriously, the time and effort that goes into these things, it's a labour of love for some people.

But art...

When you work on a piece of art intellectually for a long time before beginning it you learn exactly how difficult it is to create art.
Painting, sculpture, photography, film, digital manipulation, writing... these are all art forms. Art is something that has an encoded message that is meant to be decoded, for example; Picasso's Guernica is meant to be read from left to right, the shapes may look like a mess but the simplistic forms create other shapes on purpose to symbolise things and create a narrative, it is an artists piece of art.

But even this starts to fail when you realise that there is the built in assumption that you have to read it a certain way to begin to understand it, it's a problem that faces artists all the time when trying to escape the tropes of the form.

To put it simply... To have form without function is like having a hand that can't move, it's dead and lifeless, there is nothing to it. Sure that hand can look as beautiful as possible but it won't be art as just a form, anybody can learn to perfect the art form although don't get me wrong a mastered construct of the form does command a lot of respect simply by virtue of ability that went into it.

On the flip side there is the functioning hand that looks a state, perhaps burned or scarred, if it plays a beautiful melody on the keyboard it seems beyond reason that the ugliness can't be forgiven simply because it functions masterfully well.

It is also difficult to assess where line for art is because it requires level of both considerations of form and function, it's more of a gradient along the axis than a line and it also depends on your audience and your message, with each viewer taking on a different meaning for art, there is also a point when technical ability breaches the point of becoming art in of itself. Which is why art appreciation is very difficult and I loathe people who parrot what curators have told them.

It is possible to have something that is entirely intellectual and artistic of little to no technical ability or something that is entirely technical using the art form whilst holding little to no meaningful artistic value.

If you need to understand this.
Compare the two Star Wars trilogies.
One of them is a masterpiece of story telling and the other is a masterpiece of technical ability.
Which one was superior again? It depends what you are looking fo... The prequels sucked!

There is also that commonly occurring yet rarely recognised phenomenon of art by accident.

Look at this master piece of art done by a little girl.

Very basic form... but that's a part of what makes it effective.
Of course, the message is encoded so well it can invoke a response, you know 'exactly what it means' on some level provided you understand the language, but even if you didn't it still can have impact...
But actually, it is quite by accident and means something completely different to the well encoded connotations.

http://namibsands.wordpress.com/2009/01/28/always-check-your-kids-homework/

Glenhanna... I like Meade.
The nature of the Alexa Meade's work is definitely a work of paradox, the paradox being within the preconception that art has to be realistic.
Many new artists and some older generation artists classically strive for realism and in doing so their replicated work is always going to be just that. A stand in for the real.
Alexa challenges this notion by giving the real things the qualities of the replicated works. By striving to make the real as convincingly manufactured in a particular art form, she has in essence, turned the preconception of realism on it's head, which is both novel and intriguing. Despite the obvious message encoded within the style it just bugs me that she didn't take this one step further by instead of encoding side story connotations concentrate on cementing the paradox by turning 2D elements into hyper-real 3D looking elements.

Post Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:39 am   Reply with quote         

Sh!Za wrote:
Most hyper-realistic artist only project an image on their canvas and color the pxls out... and in my eyes thats not art!

Call it art or not, it doesn't matter.
Anyway... what is art? What is creative? I think it is enough abstract. Each one has its own interpretation.
I can prefer an ordinary hyper-realistic image to a boring surrealistic one. Because, I think, often surrealism isn't so good.
I won't definite what I like only by the style. I like an image by what it communicates, by what it makes me feel... and there's no need to understand why!
Smile
_______

BTW, Hi MM! Long time no see! Smile
And BTW, when I said to one of my friend that I never saw Star Wars, he seriously said: "You're abnormal!" Laughing
It is surely art, maybe masterpiece, but I never been attracted to it.

Post Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:53 am   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:

Thanks for the link Tofu! Smile

BTW, the title is "Amazing and wonderful hyper-realistic painting".
I don't know about all those artists, but I think Bert Monroy is doing only digital art... this is not painting. scratch

glennhanna

Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:24 am   Reply with quote         

[quote="Marx-Man"]

Good to see you Marx-Man. I love this image of the woman selling the giant rubber mallet at an auction.

Marx-Man

Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:57 am   Reply with quote         

Actually Glen that is the auctioneers mallet. Wink

ScionShade

Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:25 am   Reply with quote         

The only reason I am posting is to say something that will make me look really smart and feed my ego.
I agree with Claf.

PS. Hi, yeah, Love You All. Okay later.

Luxwiz

Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:18 am   Reply with quote         

glennhanna wrote:
Marx-Man wrote:

Good to see you Marx-Man. I love this image of the woman selling the giant rubber mallet at an auction.

Another case of art being the victim of interpretation.I hope the little girl doesn't end up spending the rest of her life running between Christie's and Sotheby's....Cute Glenn Laughing

...and well said MM Very Happy

Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:57 am   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
The only reason I am posting is to say something that will make me look really smart and feed my ego.
I agree with Claf.

PS. Hi, yeah, Love You All. Okay later.

Ohh! This feed my ego! Laughing
Nice to see you... and nice to see we agree on something! Smile Laughing

ReyRey

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:25 pm   Reply with quote         

I agree with Scion agreeing with Claf.
Twisted Evil

Sh!Za

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:01 am   Reply with quote         

The only reason I am posting is to say something that will make me look really incompetent and kill my ego.
I agree with Scion ,Claf and Rey Rey Rey Rey and Rey!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Hyperealistic illustration. - Reply to topic