Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Woot description you guys can relate to - Reply to topic

Post Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:00 pm   Reply with quote         

Today's Woot item's description made me think of you guys.

Euro-Pro Shark Navigator Upright Bagless Vacuum

ENCLOSED: Logo Sketches:
The only vacuum good enough to be named for a shark that pilots boats around Europe professionally.

TO: Euro-Pro Logo Committee

Hi guys, sorry to be so long in getting back to you. I’ve been working all week on sketches for a logo for your vacuum, and doing my best to incorporate all the (unsolicited) feedback I’ve gotten from various members of your staff. Let me just say again for the record that I think you’d be a lot better off if you just dropped one or two of the product’s names. I know, I know, I’m in the minority on this one, but it’s just—

Well, you’ll see what I mean. Let me just show you what I’ve got. First, I took a shot just at illustrating “Shark Vacuums.” Pretty straightforward, and “shark” is a word that immediately brings an image to your mind anyway, so I thought that was going to work.

But then Debra from Marketing let me know that the “Navigator” part of the name was an integral part of the vacuum’s identity, so it was essential that I get that across somehow. That brought me to this concept here:

That’s supposed to be a sextant, incidentally. See, because he’s a shark navigator. Anyway, I was already thinking this draft was pretty cluttered, but then Debra’s boss Mike emailed me that we really needed the logo to communicate “Euro-Pro” somehow, too. So I made the shark a French soccer player.

I don’t mind telling you that this logo seems like a complete disaster. But this was before Gus, the CEO’s son-in-law, pointed out there was nothing “vacuumy” about it, and asked why the Euro-Pro Shark Navigator mascot couldn’t also be sucking up dirt, dust, and hair. I did this sketch:

This is the worst idea for a logo I have ever seen, let alone drawn. We desperately need to start over on this thing, and step one should be shortening the product name so there’s just one idea in it. Think about what makes a successful logo. Take the Dodge Ram logo, for example. It’s simple, it’s bold, it’s memorable. How much worse would that logo be if it was for the “Dodge Ram Stargazer Atlantis Wishbone?”

Thanks,
Goober McGee
McGee Grafix, Inc.

Post Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:12 pm   Reply with quote         

What comes to mind and I haven't been following this, is work a basic compass face into the word logo simple N, E, S, W. and arrow. Since the navigator simply reads the compass. Bow

YerPalAl

Post Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:22 pm   Reply with quote         

But wait, just what is he navigating? Is it a power vessel or a sail boat. Commercial craft or warship--there are MANY unanswered questions about this. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Martrex

Post Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:32 pm   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:
But wait, just what is he navigating? Is it a power vessel or a sail boat. Commercial craft or warship--there are MANY unanswered questions about this. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yes Enquiring Minds need to know what's happening where when why and with whom! Laughing Laughing Laughing

cafn8d

Post Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:50 pm   Reply with quote         

HA! Thanks for sharing this, Mason!

Paul Von Stetina

Post Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:23 pm   Reply with quote         

Those vacuum's suck Wink that's a good thing when it comes to...oh never mind.

Paul Von Stetina

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:07 pm   Reply with quote         

Strap some fins on that baby and watch it eat some carpet! Laughing

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Woot description you guys can relate to - Reply to topic