Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Devastation in Japan - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Tesore

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:42 pm   Reply with quote         

kittie

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:49 pm   Reply with quote         

Please be thinking about my brother/sister-in-law and my little niece and nephew. They are currently in Chiba. Noah's stuck at work away from the rest of the family.

Could have been far worse. Such a scary thing.

Paul Von Stetina

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:13 pm   Reply with quote         

OMG this is the worst I've ever seen, unreal devastation.

Tesore

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:29 pm   Reply with quote         

Paul Von Stetina

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:56 pm   Reply with quote         

I can't believe they are reporting 1000 deaths, the real # will be in the 10's of thousands, I know that they had an earthquake a few days ago, but I don't think they were evacuated from the coast, watching the wave of debris crush all those greenhouses in seconds, those poor people never had a chance. Sad

annajon

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:45 pm   Reply with quote         

Those were greenhouses? I thought they were fields of crops... yaiks..... Shocked

Sh!Za

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:53 pm   Reply with quote         

guys.... thats really sad, but we have a way bigger problem!!!! if one of that nuclear power station explode, it will be a disaster, WORLD WIDE!!!!!!

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:18 pm   Reply with quote         

My parents-in-law live in Tokyo. Sister-in-law and nieces are in Fukushima prefecture, closer to the big earthquake but far away from ocean.
So no tsunami there... everybody's fine!
Few relatives called or wrote us today to have news.
My wife didn't have any worry.
But this time it is a real big one. Shocked

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:22 pm   Reply with quote         

Paul Von Stetina wrote:
I can't believe they are reporting 1000 deaths, the real # will be in the 10's of thousands...

Of course it will go up and up. It was night there... now just early morning. I think probably over 10,000. In a way the good thing is the epicentre was in the ocean. If not, things were supposed to be way way worse.

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:23 pm   Reply with quote         

Sh!Za wrote:
guys.... thats really sad, but we have a way bigger problem!!!! if one of that nuclear power station explode, it will be a disaster, WORLD WIDE!!!!!!

No big problem with nuclear station. They are usually well prepared.

Tesore

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:57 pm   Reply with quote         

Claf wrote:
Sh!Za wrote:

I realy hope so!!!
Eleven reactors at four nuclear power stations automatically shut down, but officials said one reactor's cooling system failed to operate correctly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12711707

Live stream:
http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

Paul Von Stetina

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:51 pm   Reply with quote         

annajon wrote:
Those were greenhouses? I thought they were fields of crops... yaiks..... Shocked

Anna, this was the area I was talking about, I don't know if people were actually in there at the time, I do know if anyone was in there, they had seconds to react and no where to go.

At 1:15 seconds into this video, you'll see what I mean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSwdFlf7yV4&feature=related

Someone posted this last week Shocked Makes you wonder WTF is going on...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP2hlFH8I4s&feature=fvwkrel

annajon

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:29 pm   Reply with quote         

Yes, Paul, that was what I saw on television. And the news said they were plastic growing tunnels = at least not made from glass, which would be even more devostating.

I realised something else, looking at those images on television.

Where I live is between 6 and 12 meters below sea level, and I have lived in another part of the country, that is 19 meters below sea level in some parts. In my mind, when the ocean/sea would break through our defensive dikes, it would be a wall of water splashing everything.

But it is only water untill it hits the coastline. After that it becomes a wall of bricks, rubble,splintered wood, metal, cars, trains, whole houses, dead animals and dead people, that goes on and on, until the forward motion stops. Then the water part sinks in the earth or retreats back into the ocean/sea. Leaving behind all that stood in its way.

It must feel like the end of the world in some places. And no amount of feeling sorry can make that go away. But what else can you do?

When the fires and water plagued Australia this Winter (Summer over there) we could only hold our breath and hope our friends stayed safe throughout. Then New Zealand got it's problems, and South America followed quickly. And each time I wondered, how long can we worry for our friends there, before we get yet another disaster somewhere else, even bigger then the one we just had?

In my mind, as it plays this moment, we have not seen the last of the bad stuff yet, and we will see much more of it in the next three years, each time with even more destruction. And then we will have had the worst, and things will slowly become "normal" again.

Normal, in the cosmic way, with our planet in its solar system moving away from the center of our galaxy again (where we are at the moment). But not, I fear, normal in the sense of Politics.

What I am afraid of is that the wrong people will gain the power over the next few years in your regions, taking advantage of the devostations around the world, forcing our hands with the economical scares each new disaster will bring.

So, above all, I wish for all of us, to keep sane. To keep an eye on our friends around the world and especially keep away from the traps.

Our Egyptian friends are falling from view this week, not all the news is good comming from Cairo - and the people in Libia are fighting hard for their freedom. They have to, because the powers that be there won't give in without a fight. They after all, have the advantage of the Scurge of the earth, crude oil that needs to be bought by "us westerners".

I hope the people in the region where the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Powerstation is in trouble will be blessed with plenty emergency power units, to help fight the radiation scare this weekend.
And I truely hope that we will be able to dwell on this tragedy for many months to come.

Paul Von Stetina

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:02 pm   Reply with quote         

You don't want to live in an area below sea level, that's for sure, just ask those people in New Orleans, and sadly the wrong people are in control of us already.

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:15 pm   Reply with quote         

Tesore wrote:
Claf wrote:
Sh!Za wrote:

I realy hope so!!!
Eleven reactors at four nuclear power stations automatically shut down, but officials said one reactor's cooling system failed to operate correctly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12711707

Live stream:
http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

I'm confident they will be able to fix the problem. I hope!
For the moment it is not completely out of control.

Some interesting links...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/12/world/asia/12codes.html?_r=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhJzdtzl6KY&feature=player_embedded

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Devastation in Japan - Reply to topic