Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Fun and Games - Advice about Shadows - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:55 am   Reply with quote         

I am pretty new to this site and have entered several chops but I have major problems with shadows. Was wondering how you all learned how to do them? Do you have a plugin that automatically adds them? How do you know where they go and what angle to match the photo? I am totally lost and have been trying my best but I know they fall way short. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much!
Sharon

seamusoisin

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:16 am   Reply with quote         

Tutorials are everywhere on the web but to get you started:

http://layersmagazine.com/photoshop-realistic-shadows.html

Good luck!

http://burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com/

Be my assbook friend
seelcraft

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:36 am   Reply with quote         

seamusoisin wrote:
Tutorials are everywhere on the web but to get you started:

http://layersmagazine.com/photoshop-realistic-shadows.html

Good luck!

That tutorial is shockingly wrong! A shadow like that would only work if the image were completely flat (a cardboard cutout of the worker) and if there were a secondary light source shining on the rear of the floor.

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:45 am   Reply with quote         

Turn the lights off, its much easier that way Very Happy

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:47 am   Reply with quote         

You can start with some theory about shadows (hey, we got tutorials on this place too!)

Shadows: A tutorial on Photoshopcontest.com

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:59 pm   Reply with quote         

take a drawing class. You'll be amazed at how much translates to using Photoshop. Drop shadows can be challenging. It's always good to study photographs, especially ones shot for black and white film.

jaw2785

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:32 pm   Reply with quote         

visionsofyesterday wrote:
I am pretty new to this site and have entered several chops but I have major problems with shadows. Was wondering how you all learned how to do them? Do you have a plugin that automatically adds them? How do you know where they go and what angle to match the photo? I am totally lost and have been trying my best but I know they fall way short. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much!
Sharon

Tutorial seems like a going around your butt hole to get to your elbow.
A well known artist told me years ago... "Make sure your shadows are flat". Sounds easy enough.
I create a drop shadow with no distance or spread. Then go back and and under "Layer Style" hit "Create Layer". This layer is not automatically selected, so be sure to click on it.
Then go to free transform and foreshorten it till seems reasonably flat. Then, depending on the angle of the main light source, I "Skew" the shadow left or right.
If the shadow needs to be in front just flip it vertical.
I like this method because it actually distorts the shadow in a fairly natural way.
If the shadow is falling on objects of different distances, or going from a floor and continuing up a wall, you can then cut it up and move and distort as needed.
I often set up a similar situation on a table or whatever and see what's going on.
That's my way so far. If anyone can make it work better please feel free.

Marx-Man

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:40 pm   Reply with quote         

Looks totally real AMIRITE GUYS!!!

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/119705/drop-shadow-ffs.html

Rolling Eyes

Shadow is about visualisation, if you can't see it in 3D you have a problem that needs sorting.

seelcraft

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:46 pm   Reply with quote         

Marx-Man wrote:
Looks totally real AMIRITE GUYS!!!

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/119705/drop-shadow-ffs.html

Rolling Eyes

Shadow is about visualisation, if you can't see it in 3D you have a problem that needs sorting.

Best shadow evah!!!!

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:46 pm   Reply with quote         

jaw2785 wrote:
Thanks so much!
Sharon

A well known artist told me years ago... "Make sure your shadows are flat". Sounds easy enough.
I create a drop shadow with no distance or spread. Then go back and and under "Layer Style" hit "Create Layer". This layer is not automatically selected, so be sure to click on it.
Then go to free transform and foreshorten it till seems reasonably flat. Then, depending on the angle of the main light source, I "Skew" the shadow left or right.
If the shadow needs to be in front just flip it vertical.
I like this method because it actually distorts the shadow in a fairly natural way.
If the shadow is falling on objects of different distances, or going from a floor and continuing up a wall, you can then cut it up and move and distort as needed.
I often set up a similar situation on a table or whatever and see what's going on.
That's my way so far. If anyone can make it work better please feel free.

This was very helpful! Thank you! I already tried it out and it was simple, easy to understand and easy to do!

Thanks everyone for your information and responses! I know I have a lot of practice ahead of me, but look forward to getting better!

Sharon

arcaico

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:57 pm   Reply with quote         

best way to learn shadows: get the fuck out of your computer!

no... seriously... go outside and take a walk... pay attention in the shadows of things in the streets... if itīs a rainy day, thatīs how shadows look in a rainy scene. if itīs a sunny day, look where de sun comes from... thatīs how shadows react to direct sun light... at night, look at the objects in your house and their shadows... thatīs how shadows should look under lamps... and so on... itīs much more about observation than technique...

the technical part is just painting, blurring, changing opacity, burning and dodging... thatīs the easy part...

p.s. my latest shadows in an entry suck, but thatīs what happens when you try to chop from 2am to 6am.

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

Zoeon

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:30 pm   Reply with quote         

dont do it like this, even you can win with this kind of work Very Happy
like others already said, just follow the light and the intensity off it

Tesore

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:59 pm   Reply with quote         

arcaico wrote:
best way to learn shadows: get the fuck out of your computer!

no... seriously... go outside and take a walk... pay attention in the shadows of things in the streets... if itīs a rainy day, thatīs how shadows look in a rainy scene. if itīs a sunny day, look where de sun comes from... thatīs how shadows react to direct sun light... at night, look at the objects in your house and their shadows... thatīs how shadows should look under lamps... and so on... itīs much more about observation than technique...

the technical part is just painting, blurring, changing opacity, burning and dodging... thatīs the easy part...

p.s. my latest shadows in an entry suck, but thatīs what happens when you try to chop from 2am to 6am.

thumright

arcaico

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:12 pm   Reply with quote         

jaw2785 wrote:
Thanks so much!
Sharon

I create a drop shadow with... yadda yadda yaddda <insert a bunch of bullshit here> yadda yadda yadda
...That's my way so far. If anyone can make it work better please feel free.

This was very helpful! Thank you! I already tried it out and it was simple, easy to understand and easy to do!

Sharon

youīre joking, right? You found that bunch of garbish HELPFUL???? Thatīs exactly the opposite of how to learn handling shadows... thereīs no method to cast shadows... most of the good choppers DRAW their shadows by hand... shadows are flat??? OMG!!! Really??? I thought they had volume... can you imagine? A huge shadow in the ocean hitting an iceberg? Seriously... stating that is like stating the water is wet. Theyīre flat, but that doesnīt mean theyīre PLAIN... shadows follow the surface theyīre cast over... meaning if thereīs a ball in the way of a shadow, the shadow will follow the ball shape... putting a FLAT shadow over a ball will not be realistic... theyīre flat? yeah... but if there are 3 lights over it, youīll see 3 shadows for one object, overlapping and smoothing according to each of the light sources... I hate when some noob decides to help and end up prejudicing instead... itīs like a gardener trying to help a resident to extract a kidney... Iīm sure the intention is good, but GOD, I WONīT USE THIS GARDENING SCISSOR TO CUT OFF THIS KIDNEY!!!

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

jaw2785

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:47 pm   Reply with quote         

arcaico wrote:

youīre joking, right? You found that bunch of garbish HELPFUL???? Thatīs exactly the opposite of how to learn handling shadows... thereīs no method to cast shadows... most of the good choppers DRAW their shadows by hand... shadows are flat??? OMG!!! Really??? I thought they had volume... can you imagine? A huge shadow in the ocean hitting an iceberg? Seriously... stating that is like stating the water is wet. Theyīre flat, but that doesnīt mean theyīre PLAIN... shadows follow the surface theyīre cast over... meaning if thereīs a ball in the way of a shadow, the shadow will follow the ball shape... putting a FLAT shadow over a ball will not be realistic... theyīre flat? yeah... but if there are 3 lights over it, youīll see 3 shadows for one object, overlapping and smoothing according to each of the light sources... I hate when some noob decides to help and end up prejudicing instead... itīs like a gardener trying to help a resident to extract a kidney... Iīm sure the intention is good, but GOD, I WONīT USE THIS GARDENING SCISSOR TO CUT OFF THIS KIDNEY!!!

Well, I'm very glad that you are a PS god and can do everything by hand. With your extraordinary ego, you probably have to do a lot of things by hand. And I'm sure your artistic abilities are far above a woman who's work hangs in prominent buildings all over the country.
Yes shadows are supposed to be "flat". As in flat in relation to perspective. We all know a shadow is one dimensional. We don't need a physics lesson on the matter.
The method I described IS effective and far better than the one tutorial that one person rightly said was totally screwed. And the method I described will not work in all circumstances. At least I answered the girls question... gave her a method that is better than what she had and didn't just tell her to take a class. And she tried it and liked it and she's further along now than she was.
Maybe everyone isn't as artistically inclined as others. I use a mouse. I can't hardly draw with a damn pencil. Drawing with a mouse is a bitch. Maybe you have a fancy tablet. Maybe you have good hand - eye coordination.
I use what works for me. I did the tutorial with the box shadow and though it took me awhile it looked pretty damn good. (sorry, I deleted it, and I'm not doing it again just for you)
As far as me being a "noob"... well I may be new here, and no, I can't draw a photo realistic Dodge Ram from scratch.
But I've been at this chopping thing for quite some time and I think some of my work shows it.
There's a lot of great talent here. Fortunately not all those talented people feel the need to stroke their own egos by talking down to everyone new around here. But it happens a lot under the guise of "critiquing" .
All I see in your post is a self serving diatribe extolling your own superiority. Maybe some day, we who are below you may be honored to touch your garment. In the mean time those of us who aren't so full of ourselves can just hope you get hit by a truck while admiring yourself in a street puddle.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Fun and Games - Advice about Shadows - Reply to topic