Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Mac or PC - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:56 am   Reply with quote         

It's time for a new box and I'm thinking about a Mac this time. I have $1,200 to spend. What do you think, a Mac Mini - 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory or should I custom build a PC? I already have the OS + SW for the PC.

I'll be using it for PS, and a little bit of video editing.

I've never had a Mac but am curious after watching the Leopard demo what it would be like to go over to the Dark Side.

Thanks for any advice,
Robert

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:08 am   Reply with quote         

Don't even think about it, and go over the dark side.. get the mac! Very Happy

If you're not on a Mac, you're wasting your time..
blue_lurker

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:14 am   Reply with quote         

I went both
mac notebook
windows desktop
works for me

buglover

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:18 am   Reply with quote         

Hi Silver,

hm... I'm working on a mac since over 15 years. I hope I don't have to change anymore. But if you run fine with the pc there is no “real” reason to change the system.

I'm not shure but check if Leopard runs fine on a Mini.

Cheers BL

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:21 am   Reply with quote         

I will throw my input in here... Just went the route of a laptop for daughter and it's pc with the NEW horrible Vista platform OS. You need more ram/memory to run it and it's just aggravating get with Tofu or hunt down the thread on vista I had going about 2-3 weeks back.

In leu of that I say go with mac and never look back. Spend a bit more and get a better product that won't crash on you or have issues with virus problems. A big boon: never deal with Microsoft!
I think you will be very very happy. good luck and merry xmas! Very Happy

yello_piggy

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:35 am   Reply with quote         

when you like to pay 20 % more for anything, then get the mac!

edovan

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:44 am   Reply with quote         

I have both Mac and PC at work, both with Adobe CS & related stuff installed, and I really don't understand why anyone would buy a Mac. Yes, they work fine, but so do Windows based PC's. Mac hardware looks better, true, but do really wan't to pay for that?

If you're used to PC and know how to build your own and setup the OS properly, stick to it.

And Leopard, well... works fine and that's it. No further comment needed.

Note: I haven't tried Windows Vista and see no reason to do so. WinXP is what I need.
jerry717

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:56 am   Reply with quote         

With leopard you can use boot camp and boot up as a windoze machine allowing you to use all of your current software on your new Mac giving you the best of both worlds. Sounds like a no brainer to me...

MindGraph

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:01 pm   Reply with quote         

If you want good security without slowing the crap out of your machine....go mac. Been using mac for years and had pc for years. Only downfall I found with mac is convenience.There is one store near me that has a mac section in the back corner with some software and actual macs to buy and I just found out about 20 minutes ago that it's going out of business. Other than that you have to shop online for any stuff you might want for it so you can't be in a hurry. The computer cost more than a PC but it will last alot longer. I'm still running a 450mghz at home and have a 1.25 ghz laptop and they both run great as far as speed goes. Guess it's who you talk to but that's the good and the bad from me. Hope it helps.... Wink

MindGraph

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:09 pm   Reply with quote         

imac g5 with tiger, boot camp therefore windows xp on it.Xp runs great too, get a mac.

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:17 pm   Reply with quote         

um id have to say mac. its faster and easier

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:19 pm   Reply with quote         

The majority of my mac-hating pc friends have ended up converting to the mac and aren't looking back.

It doesn't happen the other way around.

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:20 pm   Reply with quote         

Mac

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:28 pm   Reply with quote         

well, if you like the nifty features of a Mac, there are some very good third party apps that do all a Mac can do and more. For instance, Stardock Objectdock is very cool and emulates the dock of a Mac, but you get so many more options with it, and can have multiple docks and such and you're able to pretty much change it to any way you can imagine. My desktop looks as smooth and fancy and is as interactive as a Mac will ever be. Smile

Plus, for 1200, you can build yourself a very kickass computer that will blow most any Mac or PC out of the water, for the price. That's the way to go. Smile

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:31 pm   Reply with quote         

I spent my whole life on a pc. I'm afraid i woul look like an old man without a clue crossing over to a mac. Razz

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Mac or PC - Reply to topic