Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Speedchop - Reply to topic

charliesou

Post Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:25 am   Reply with quote         

What's the point of having a speedchop contest at all ? Usually the first entry posted gets a few votes simply because its the first one entered, and, as it has been done at speed it is understandably not the creators best work. So after a few hours, more entries appear which have had a lot more time spent on them so they obviously garner more votes than the first (speediest) chop which is now getting very few votes, due to the voters who have no idea who's was the fastest entry and are only looking at the best chops and vote accordingly.
I think there should be some incentive for the fastest chop, or maybe even a time limit of perhaps an hour or two.
To call it a Speedchop contest without recognition of the Speediest entry is just dumb.
The latest comp.is a case in point. Who posted the Speediest entry? How long did it take? No one knows except the poster, and he or she is probably pissed at the quality of his entry which now languishes near the bottom of the pile of better works which had hours of work put into them.
So here are a couple of suggestions..
1..Impose a time limit.
2..First posting is acknowledged as such. (there are obvious inherent flaws in this).
---------
"Just remember, once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed".
Arthur Schopenhauer

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Tesore

Post Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:39 am   Reply with quote         

I agree! But...

- Time Difference
- Work
- Kids
- Life
- Etc.

IF you could make a time clock between pick up the source and upload the chop... say 2 hours... And still than, people will send eachother the source... So, let's forget the speed chops and give the source to all who participate 1 x in a week advantage or not, and call it SlowChop.

Maybe it's just as good as slowfood!
Wink

Post Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:07 am   Reply with quote         

charliesou wrote:
What's the point of having a speedchop contest at all ? Usually the first entry posted gets a few votes simply because its the first one entered, and, as it has been done at speed it is understandably not the creators best work. So after a few hours, more entries appear which have had a lot more time spent on them so they obviously garner more votes than the first (speediest) chop which is now getting very few votes, due to the voters who have no idea who's was the fastest entry and are only looking at the best chops and vote accordingly.
I think there should be some incentive for the fastest chop, or maybe even a time limit of perhaps an hour or two.
To call it a Speedchop contest without recognition of the Speediest entry is just dumb.
The latest comp.is a case in point. Who posted the Speediest entry? How long did it take? No one knows except the poster, and he or she is probably pissed at the quality of his entry which now languishes near the bottom of the pile of better works which had hours of work put into them
So here are a couple of suggestions..
1..Impose a time limit.
2..First posting is acknowledged as such. (there are obvious inherent flaws in this).
---------
"Just remember, once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed".
Arthur Schopenhauer

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dude my first win was in speed chop and i post it after one hour
and about time limit . theres a different in the time between country and other so not any one can see it after one hour and the point of speed chop the people who have an advantage can't post it before the others ...

charliesou

Post Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:37 am   Reply with quote         

I did mention that there were (inherent flaws) in this. The time difference being the most obvious one.
Oh well it was only a thought.. Hug

supak0ma

Post Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:01 am   Reply with quote         

it was never about speed, but about old school psc contest style, as in the first days of the website, the name should be changed because it is deceptive...it's not about who makes the fastest chop!

seamusoisin

Post Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:30 am   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
it was never about speed, but about old school psc contest style, as in the first days of the website, the name should be changed because it is deceptive...it's not about who makes the fastest chop!

So why bother? If it's not about speed what the point.

http://burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com/

Be my assbook friend
anfa

Post Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:29 pm   Reply with quote         

seamusoisin wrote:
supak0ma wrote:

It's non-advantage. EVERYONE gets the source at the start of the contest. That's the point.

rohanpujaris

Post Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:44 pm   Reply with quote         

Tesore wrote:
I agree! But...

- Time Difference
- Work
- Kids
- Life
- Etc.

IF you could make a time clock between pick up the source and upload the chop... say 2 hours... And still than, people will send eachother the source... So, let's forget the speed chops and give the source to all who participate 1 x in a week advantage or not, and call it SlowChop.

Maybe it's just as good as slowfood!
Wink

I think its good idea to have a slow chop

Post Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:33 pm   Reply with quote         

anfa wrote:
seamusoisin wrote:
supak0ma wrote:

It's non-advantage. EVERYONE gets the source at the start of the contest. That's the point.

I though that two

taker

Post Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:49 pm   Reply with quote         

anfa wrote:
seamusoisin wrote:
supak0ma wrote:

that's good for me .

jaw2785

Post Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:47 pm   Reply with quote         

I definitly think it stinks. Within 4 hours the winner is declared, and crowned and given a parade and nobody comes back. I've made this mistake before and I will not enter any more of them. Enough is enough.
Are the powers that be around here afraid to change ANYTHING???
Is this place for sale?

Zoeon

Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:47 am   Reply with quote         

jaw2785 wrote:
I definitly think it stinks. Within 4 hours the winner is declared, and crowned and given a parade and nobody comes back. I've made this mistake before and I will not enter any more of them. Enough is enough.
Is this place for sale?

Not quite true, there are chops who come in very late and win.

Tawiskaro

Post Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:06 am   Reply with quote         

Excellent points, Charlie. Tesore's suggestion to programmatically impose a download/upload time frame is good, too. That might be difficult to code, but it is possible. It might involve restricting viewing to an actual download. I never download contest images--I just copy them from the screen. That would have to be eliminated. A table containing usernames and download times would have to be created. And so on. Probably not too difficult for a one-time speed chop comp, but maybe really ugly for a recurring process. From idea to reality can be a real pain in the fundament. Maybe Grefix or supak0ma can provide some insight on the technical aspects.

jaw2785

Post Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:43 am   Reply with quote         

Zoeon wrote:
jaw2785 wrote:
Is this place for sale?

Well I think part of the problem from my perspective (getting badly under voted...in my opinion) was due to the Holidays here in the states. About three votes came in on the 24th. About three more Friday. I thought it was one of the best chops I had ever done and was truly dissapointed in the lack of people voting those two days.
Or maybe it was crap and I can't see it.
If someone wants to critique it I'll be happy to hear it... good or bad.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/jaw2785/Coyoteranch.jpg

Zoeon

Post Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:18 am   Reply with quote         

jaw2785 wrote:
Zoeon wrote:
jaw2785 wrote:
Is this place for sale?

Well I think part of the problem from my perspective (getting badly under voted...in my opinion) was due to the Holidays here in the states. About three votes came in on the 24th. About three more Friday. I thought it was one of the best chops I had ever done and was truly dissapointed in the lack of people voting those two days.
Or maybe it was crap and I can't see it.
If someone wants to critique it I'll be happy to hear it... good or bad.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/jaw2785/Coyoteranch.jpg

good entrie, maybe just bad luck ,

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Speedchop - Reply to topic