Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Welcome Center - photography 1877 to 2012 - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

jaw2785

Post Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:35 pm   Reply with quote         

Eadweard J. Muybridge ( 9 April 1830 – 8 May 1904) was an English photographer who spent much of his life in the United States. He is known for his pioneering work on animal locomotion which used multiple cameras to capture motion, and his zoopraxiscope, a device for projecting motion pictures that pre-dated the flexible perforated film strip.

Galloping horse set to motion using photos by Eadweard Muybridge.

Stanford and the galloping question
Main article: Sallie Gardner at a Gallop
Muybridge's The Horse in Motion.

In 1872, former Governor of California Leland Stanford, a businessman and race-horse owner, had taken a position on a popularly-debated question of the day: whether all four of a horse's hooves are off the ground at the same time during the trot. Up until this time, most paintings of horses at full gallop showed the front legs extended forward and the hind legs extended to the rear.[9] Stanford sided with this assertion, called "unsupported transit", and took it upon himself to prove it scientifically. Stanford sought out Muybridge and hired him to settle the question.[10]

In later studies Muybridge used a series of large cameras that used glass plates placed in a line, each one being triggered by a thread as the horse passed. Later a clockwork device was used. The images were copied in the form of silhouettes onto a disc and viewed in a machine called a Zoopraxiscope. This in fact became an intermediate stage towards motion pictures or cinematography.

In 1877, Muybridge settled Stanford's question with a single photographic negative showing Stanford's Standardbred trotting horse Occident airborne at the trot. This negative was lost, but it survives through woodcuts made at the time. By 1878, spurred on by Stanford to expand the experiment, Muybridge had successfully photographed a horse in fast motion.[11]

Another series of photos taken at the Palo Alto Stock Farm in Stanford, California, is called Sallie Gardner at a Gallop or The Horse in Motion, and shows that the hooves do all leave the ground — although not with the legs fully extended forward and back, as contemporary illustrators tended to imagine, but rather at the moment when all the hooves are tucked under the horse as it switches from "pulling" with the front legs to "pushing" with the back legs.[10] This series of photos stands as one of the earliest forms of videography.
(From Wikipedia)

I have always been interested in animal locomotion and last year searched for the above photos by Muybridge .
I wanted to make a fairly technical gif (that is now on some disc I'm too lazy to search for at the moment) with several externals and the horse running through it. First I had to chop the above series of plates in order to remove the background and rider. My avatar is the the result of that first stage of the final gif.
The finished gif actually ended up with two horses running across a field and I was pretty impressed with myself when it was finished.
But what really impresses me now, is how privileged I felt, to take a very important piece of photographic history through over 130 years of photographic evolution.
I have a love of old glass plate negatives and to think of the work involved by Muybridge to obtain these images and the subsequent digital process that I later applied to them... I wonder if he could have ever imagined a world of photography minus stumbling around in the darkness, inhaling noxious chemicals and devoid of even film itself.
Don't get me wrong, I always enjoyed working in the darkroom and the modern photographer who never has, is missing out on a very creative and unique part of the photographic process. But it's also nice to be able to chop in the living room while watching "My Name is Earl".
But what must have took Muybridge many hard hours of trial and error, with trip wires, a multitude of large format cameras and who knows what else, we can now accomplish in the fraction of time with modern equipment. To me, and maybe to you as well... it's all absolutely amazing. Shocked
There's some quote about how all we accomplish and can see from today's viewpoint, is only because we are privileged to stand on the shoulders of those who came and labored so hard before us. Photography is a very good example of that sentiment.
If anyone has some old images from glass plates or any other interesting photographic history comments, please post them here if you like.

anfa

Post Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:02 pm   Reply with quote         

Apple fanboys think All this is down to Steve Jobbs.

Micose

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:29 am   Reply with quote         

Muybridge was a big part of the material used to work from while painting Francis Bacon . This is one of the most interesting way of renewing oil painting.
Micose

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:30 am   Reply with quote         

Micose

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:31 am   Reply with quote         

great post Jaw
jaw2785

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:21 am   Reply with quote         

Micose wrote:
great post Jaw

Thanks Micos. Here's an article that shows how inventive the early photographers could be.

www.artknowledgenews.com/eadweard_muybridge_photos_at_sfmoa.html

I once had a friend who fancied himself a photographer. His pictures where always lacking in contrast or over or under exposed. Whenever I would point out that the blacks weren't really black or the whites white, he would invariably reply, "That's the way I wanted it". Of course that was bullshit, just as his assertions that the perfect print could always be produced "in camera" and no good photographer should have to post process, (which he called "manipulation" with the same tone of voice as one might say "You'll burn in Hell buddy". Photoshop was a foul and dirty word synonymous with cheating and deception.
When I pointed out that the great Ansel Adams used such treacherous trickery as burning and dodging and other such tools of Satan, he simply lost all respect for the man.
He liked to say he was "self taught". I know another photographer who had the same dream... that is to be an island all to herself, needing no guidance, simply pure inspiration from on high.
There seem to be two types of people in this world. Those who have knowledge yet hoard it away for fear someone else may catch up or even surpass them, and those who believe they are so damn special they can figure it all out for themselves.
Screw 'em both. If they don't want to help me or don't want me to help them then none of us are really of much use to one another. I've finally learned to quit wasting good oxygen on them that could be better used for the energy to go grab another beer out of the fridge. Laughing

jaw2785

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:46 am   Reply with quote         

Oh wow... this is cool. It seems that the disc in it's present incarnation has a very old ancestor.

As Anfa pointed out that some people think the world was created by Steve Jobs. Before that everyone thought Edison was the wizard of film and electricity. Without Tesla and Muybridge, Edison would probably be a footnote as far as inventors go.
Check this out...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoopraxiscope

anfa

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:30 pm   Reply with quote         

Don't get me started on Edison. He was a businessman not an inventor! Evil or Very Mad
Edit: Owning the patent for something doesn't mean you invented it!

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:19 pm   Reply with quote         

anfa wrote:
Don't get me started on Edison. He was a businessman not an inventor! Evil or Very Mad

You forgot to list your sources:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gOR91oentQ

jaw2785

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:17 pm   Reply with quote         

badcop wrote:
anfa wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

jaw2785

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:31 pm   Reply with quote         

My first camera.

As you can see it used them advanced flash cube thingies.
It was kinda cool actually. It had a tab on the bottom, hooked to about a foot long piece of spring steel. You pulled it out a few times and it wound up a very powerful motor drive. I think I sold it for a bag of... well... that's not important here.

anfa

Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:39 pm   Reply with quote         

badcop wrote:
anfa wrote:

Laughing That was brilliant!
"I'm inventing electricity and you look like an asshole." Laughing

anfa

Post Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:07 pm   Reply with quote         

anfa

Post Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:29 pm   Reply with quote         

[img]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg31/scaled.php?server=31&filename=edisonass.jpg&res=medium[/img]

jaw2785

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:28 am   Reply with quote         

Here's a fascinating site with many photographic firsts.

http://www.neatorama.com/2006/08/29/the-wonderful-world-of-early-photography/

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Welcome Center - photography 1877 to 2012 - Reply to topic