Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - How to increase participation - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

GuidedByPandas

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:39 am   Reply with quote         

The-Masked-Layer wrote:
Guided by Pandas,

This is what you wrote:
GuidedByPandas wrote:
No, I can't afford to buy this site. I'm sure pscbuzz wants his purchase prize (+) and I don't have $30K laying about. And Werdnaibor- your post about chopper/owners manipulating contests was dumb - nothing kills a site quicker than that and most owners want to recoup money from their investment. Plus if the owner won most contests, most people would pick up on that, don't you think? In fact I rarely play in contests on my site - that's why I play here. We've had 9 tournaments since 2008; I made it to the last round once and only played in 3 (two before I became an Admin; we don't allow folk who admin (including me) tourney or prize contests to play in the same).

Some crazy dude Guided By Pandas

This is what Werdnaibor wrote:

But then they would become corrupted and manipulate the site so they win every contest they enter. Fake accounts, seizing abandoned profiles for votes, sources that play to their strengths, arbitrary disqualification of competing entries. Or maybe (yes, it definitely is) that's crazy paranoia.

Before you call out someone's comment as being "dumb", try to look for the humor and/or sarcasm.

Yep, you're right - I misread that. Guided By Pandas, Acts Like an Ass... Do I get any leniency for the fact that it's 4:30 AM where I live and I've been awake 22hrs? Probably not.

Werdnaibor - please accept my apologies as I misunderstood your post; I admit I missed that last sentence. I was trying to catch up on a lot of missed posts and didn't stop to fully grasp each one. I was sensitive to this because it's not the 1st time I've heard that sentiment expressed seriously. My bad. Bad Panda.

I'm not here to fight or cause trouble... I do make mistakes though. I was just trying to share that the problems with the site may not be site problems at all - but rather a common issue elsewhere.

But I'm pretty sure you don't need my help. Going away now.

TheShaman

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:55 am   Reply with quote         

the panda is wise. being guided by him is always a pleasure.

I'll take some of that blame for panda glossing over responses... some of mine read like small crappy novels.

I'll try to shorten my answers in the future...

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:58 am   Reply with quote         

I am guilty of the same thing, Guided By Pandas. The rest of your post was spot on.

seamusoisin

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:09 am   Reply with quote         

Funny any solution come from an honest anaylsis of the problem and that usually come from looking at ourselves. So I asked myself why do I visit and participate here.I have been here since 2005 and I did not realize that until I looked at my profile 5 minutes ago.

The reasons I come here are for one thing is as I get older I want to keep my mind as sharp as possible and there are only so many crossword puzzles that I am willing to do. The thought of having a weak mind sitting in a room knitting a sweater with invisible darning needles and wool sitting in a room with another idiot making a matching pair of mittens well that's scary. So I come here try to chop and broaden my skills and test myself not against anyone here but against myself with varying success. I also apreciate the general sense of humour that seems always present here. That makes me feel good. Deep down I would like to meet everyone here at some time. I also genuinely miss some people that are not here anymore and I come back to see if they are back.
I miss Reinman's forum posts which seem to bring out the humour in everyone here, I miss Nancer's manass comments and her love of cats (sarcasm). I think we all miss Splodge, his willing to help and his love of life.

So after looking at this I think I am part of the problem I am living yesterday and wishing that things were like they were, well that's not happening so I am trying to take a greater interest in my participation on this site. More chopping, hell I like doing it so what's my problem. We have been talking about this for days and I haven't chopped in three weeks and have many of us on this thread have. I will try to PM people more and share some thoughts with them, hell I like most people here. I will try to look at contest posts with greater scrutiny and be more analytical in the works. When I see a post that I like very much I will comunicate that with more than the comment that I have with my vote.

This will not attract one more member but it might keep one.

This site and it's members are part of my daily routine and I am glad it and you are here.

http://burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com/

Be my assbook friend
Tesore

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:39 am   Reply with quote         

seamusoisin:
Quote:
This site and it's members are part of my daily routine and I am glad it and you are here.

Hear... hear!

Hug

Tommeken

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:44 am   Reply with quote         

my 2 cents.....

this site should have :

more space for the profiles..a bit like facebook but not all of it....

the voting should be more like worth1000 (or something like that)

...if ya upload your entry there should be a choice box "do i want comments/advice yes or no" so nobody gets offended by comments...

create a day in the month (or more) with just an assignment and no source photo...so you could do whatever the hell you want
as long you stay in line with the assignment and follow the rules that included with it...

a more attractive chatbox

make a chopperdome corner ....so people can compete each other on a challenge....or team chopperdome..2vs2

expand the tutorial section with catchy tuts for the new guys/girls

'bout the source pictures ...don't let the users choose them...put them all in a box and let them show up random..more high res. pictures

and the home page should be more catchy for the eye... so when you first come here you want to stay here...
there's so much talent here ...make a comp. for designing a new psc look ( i know it's brought up before)

loose the anon contests..their useless cause lot's of choppers have a recognizable style....

and etc etc.....

now don't go and shoot me....that's what i would like to see Razz Laughing

kittie

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:26 am   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:

maybe we need to make a friendship quilt again...

For those who don't remember (I wish I had the link) we did a PSC scroll once... where it started with one chop and blended into the next... too lazy to search for it right now...

I would love to do this again! I think Grefix said that our original PSC Scroll is lost to the interwebs. Sad I think the Fearless Scroll is on youtube, though I don't remember that happening. Shocked I must have been away.

I wonder how many people would be willing to contribute... or if anyone special knows how to put that together online... Wink
If someone with the know-how would be willing to do the coding, I'd be more than happy to try and gather people up.

GuidedByPandas

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:36 am   Reply with quote         

kittie wrote:
TheShaman wrote:

maybe we need to make a friendship quilt again...

For those who don't remember (I wish I had the link) we did a PSC scroll once... where it started with one chop and blended into the next... too lazy to search for it right now...

I would love to do this again! I think Grefix said that our original PSC Scroll is lost to the interwebs. Sad I think the Fearless Scroll is on youtube, though I don't remember that happening. Shocked I must have been away.

I wonder how many people would be willing to contribute... or if anyone special knows how to put that together online... Wink
If someone with the know-how would be willing to do the coding, I'd be more than happy to try and gather people up.

One Fearless Scroll for you - I have it favorited on my YT channel:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYnGD5c4Yrg[/youtube]

This and a ZoomQuilt are the inspiration for a project I'm leading... which at my current pace will be done in 2015. lol. Smile The Zoomquilt: http://zoomquilt2.madmindworx.com/zoomquilt2.swf

kittie

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:44 am   Reply with quote         

GuidedByPandas wrote:

This and a ZoomQuilt are the inspiration for a project I'm leading... which at my current pace will be done in 2015. lol. Smile The Zoomquilt: http://zoomquilt2.madmindworx.com/zoomquilt2.swf

Thanks!

And wow! Shocked That zoomquilt is really amazing! Can you share how something like that is put together?

Tesore

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:49 am   Reply with quote         

The Fearless Roll is always in my sign!!! Rolling Eyes

Wink

Werdnaibor

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:58 am   Reply with quote         

GuidedByPandas wrote:
The-Masked-Layer wrote:
Guided by Pandas,

This is what you wrote:
GuidedByPandas wrote:
No, I can't afford to buy this site. I'm sure pscbuzz wants his purchase prize (+) and I don't have $30K laying about. And Werdnaibor- your post about chopper/owners manipulating contests was dumb - nothing kills a site quicker than that and most owners want to recoup money from their investment. Plus if the owner won most contests, most people would pick up on that, don't you think? In fact I rarely play in contests on my site - that's why I play here. We've had 9 tournaments since 2008; I made it to the last round once and only played in 3 (two before I became an Admin; we don't allow folk who admin (including me) tourney or prize contests to play in the same).

Some crazy dude Guided By Pandas

This is what Werdnaibor wrote:

But then they would become corrupted and manipulate the site so they win every contest they enter. Fake accounts, seizing abandoned profiles for votes, sources that play to their strengths, arbitrary disqualification of competing entries. Or maybe (yes, it definitely is) that's crazy paranoia.

Before you call out someone's comment as being "dumb", try to look for the humor and/or sarcasm.

Yep, you're right - I misread that. Guided By Pandas, Acts Like an Ass... Do I get any leniency for the fact that it's 4:30 AM where I live and I've been awake 22hrs? Probably not.

Werdnaibor - please accept my apologies as I misunderstood your post; I admit I missed that last sentence. I was trying to catch up on a lot of missed posts and didn't stop to fully grasp each one. I was sensitive to this because it's not the 1st time I've heard that sentiment expressed seriously. My bad. Bad Panda.

I'm not here to fight or cause trouble... I do make mistakes though. I was just trying to share that the problems with the site may not be site problems at all - but rather a common issue elsewhere.

But I'm pretty sure you don't need my help. Going away now.

No problem. I'm aware of the risks of using sarcasm in writing. It usually gets sorted out pretty quick.

GuidedByPandas

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:32 am   Reply with quote         

kittie wrote:
GuidedByPandas wrote:

Thanks!

And wow! Shocked That zoomquilt is really amazing! Can you share how something like that is put together?

That zoom quilt is a Flash file, but I'm pretty sure it can all be compiled in Premiere Pro (or After Effects); I did my last retrospective in Premiere so know that works. The Zoom is essentially just zooming in on an image. You can create this by identifying a 'portal' in each image and creating transitional 'in-between' frames that bridge images in a stack.

Something to think about if you create another roll or zoom here is the choice of background music. Pink Floyd is great, but since it's copyrighted, YT can yank the audio one day and you will be left with a silent roll. This link lists several sites with creative commons and royalty-free music: http://creativecommons.org/legalmusicforvideos
Another good site not listed there is SoundCloud. There are some great up-and-coming musicians who will gladly share their tracks, some as simple as asking.

My site is working on a Zoom & roll video project - an all-out trip in self-expression to create 3 images, one each per these 3 topics: (1) who you are, (2) a dream you have, and (3) a message/warning you have to the world. It will be like an image roller coaster but a bit slower paced so old-timers like me can appreciate the ride. Smile
Here are some special instructions we are using to make the final product easier to assemble (and which might be useful if a similar project is pursued here):
1. Don't put anything highly detailed on the left or right borders of the image within 100px of the edge.
2. keep a small area, ~100px in diameter, within your image "open" as this will serve as portal for those images selected for zooming.
We are creating for wide-screen format so these transition zone dimensions are fairly trivial.

In all likelihood some members will contribute multiple images (or sets of images) so if you are interested in participating (with full credit and a possible ice cream cone(!)) and want details, PM me. I originally posted more detail here but it just seemed to kill the thread more than anything. lol. I realize I'm not a regular so I get it. Cheers and Good Luck!

Trann

Post Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:42 am   Reply with quote         

kittie wrote:
I wonder how many people would be willing to contribute...

In.

kinetic_be

Post Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:11 am   Reply with quote         

Maybe best to make a new topic for that to see who's in. Or with a poll attached.

Tesore

Post Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:11 am   Reply with quote         

Good point, kinetic_be!

In:

Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - How to increase participation - Reply to topic