Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Source Collection - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Would you have any interest in participating in this source collection?

Yes, I'd like to contribute and end repetitive sources for contests.

61%

61%

[ 13 ]

No, I feel the sources are fine and don't want to waste my time.

23%

23%

[ 5 ]

I'm a mod, and I'd help with this.

4%

4%

[ 1 ]

I'm a mod, but I don't think this is a viable solution.

9%

9%

[ 2 ]

Total Votes: 21

kittie

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:31 am   Reply with quote         

I posted this idea in the other thread, but it's too full of bickering for anyone to notice. Wink

I was considering speaking with a mod about working with me to start an advantage AND non-advantage source collection thread.The prize would be "Not having repetitive sources for a while."

My idea could use work though before going into effect.
Basically, I'd ask everyone to submit one image to me through email at a time with the proper source specifications, and I'd make a much smaller (unchoppably small) version of it to post here, just to give people an idea of what it is.
After an image of a certain item is posted (such as a thumbtack) no other thumbtacks will be accepted.
Quality would be monitored of course.
At the end of say, a week... two weeks, whatever, they'd all be dumped into the source voting queue. If people wanted their name on it we could just edit a "source by *name*" into an unimportant part of the image.

It'd just give some non-paying members a chance to share if they wanted and reduce the repetition.
It's not necessarily a long run fix, but I don't see why we couldn't do something like this once every few months.

This way we'd still be voting, but it will already be on items that can't be repeated.

Any thoughts?
Is this something that anyone would be interested in doing? Anyone Non-Advantage feel like this would be a good opportunity?
Any mods up to the challenge of deleting frivolous and whiny posts out of whatever thread they end up in?

blue_lurker

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:02 am   Reply with quote         

The only problem I have with this idea is the quality of the images...one thing SC has is the Billtv factor. Before any image makes the vote que Bill makes sure it is of a high res to make a good source...and its a long and time consuming task.

I guess you guys dont see the behind the scenes stuff when it comes to source images...the other thing he does is make sure we dont have to many of the same thing, his problem there is people submit to many of the same thing and when images get low he has no choice but to submit them.

Would be interested in how you would police this and ensure image quality. Will watch this thread kitty and help if I think I can be of assistance.

YerPalAl

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:08 am   Reply with quote         

I'm still going to submit boats. Laughing Laughing Laughing

kittie

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:09 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
The only problem I have with this idea is the quality of the images...one thing SC has is the Billtv factor. Before any image makes the vote que Bill makes sure it is of a high res to make a good source...and its a long and time consuming task.

I guess you guys dont see the behind the scenes stuff when it comes to source images...the other thing he does is make sure we dont have to many of the same thing, his problem there is people submit to many of the same thing and when images get low he has no choice but to submit them.

Would be interested in how you would police this and ensure image quality. Will watch this thread kitty and help if I think I can be of assistance.

Good point Blurk! You're right, I don't know everything that goes on.

The thing about this idea, is that eventually they would end up being submitted just like any other sources.... So bill would still be doing the same thing with these. It's just that the ones being submitted wouldn't be repetitive from this particular batch.
I can try and weed out poor quality images from what I can see to make his job a little easier, but I'm sure I don't have as good an eye as he does.

If sources are getting low lately, though, I could see how this may be a problem.

kittie

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:12 am   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:

Well great, we'll have several unique sources littered with boats in between! Laughing

blue_lurker

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:14 am   Reply with quote         

Not sure if people can post up to the required limit in a thread either so thats going to make quality poor as well.

May be an uplaod site for images so they can be at the correct res.

And no phone images please

kittie

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:16 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
Not sure if people can post up to the required limit in a thread either so thats going to make quality poor as well.

No, the originals would be emailed to me. I'd just make a smaller version to post in the thread so people know what NOT to submit.
The specifications would be posted in the threads beginning so everyone would know what's necessary.

Edit: an upload site would be fine too.

blue_lurker

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:18 am   Reply with quote         

kittie wrote:
blue_lurker wrote:

No, the originals would be emailed to me. I'd just make a smaller version to post in the thread so people know what NOT to submit.
The specifications would be posted in the threads beginning so everyone would know what's necessary.

Could work...even have a list of TYPE OF SOURCE and just post when the spot is taken, that way you still keep the image a suprise and would be a good chance for a few forum contests...I use to love forum contests and personal H2H contests...use to kick Arcos ass all the time...them were the dayss

kittie

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:21 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
kittie wrote:
blue_lurker wrote:

Could work...even have a list of TYPE OF SOURCE and just post when the spot is taken, that way you still keep the image a suprise and would be a good chance for a few forum contests...I use to love forum contests and personal H2H contests...use to kick Arcos ass all the time...them were the dayss

Laughing right on.

anfa

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:55 am   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Werdnaibor

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:02 am   Reply with quote         

I had to vote for the second option, but I don't have the same view as the second part of it. Based on the behind the scenes look Blue Lurker gave, I think the system is fine, and this idea would be useful in increasing the existing variety. Go for it.

The-Masked-Layer

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:05 am   Reply with quote         

I started submitting images last week. I'd be glad to be aware of any subjects that may be underrepresented. Otherwise I'll simply try my best to contribute unique photos. I teach a Digital Photography class, so we're always setting up still-lifes and walking about on photo shoots. We live in a town with no statues, few cars, and maybe a only handful of canoes & kayaks. Smile

kittie

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:11 am   Reply with quote         

Werdnaibor wrote:
I had to vote for the second option, but I don't have the same view as the second part of it. Based on the behind the scenes look Blue Lurker gave, I think the system is fine, and this idea would be useful in increasing the existing variety. Go for it.

Right right.

I just want to throw out there to anyone who may misunderstand (not that you did)
that this is NOT meant to REPLACE the current system. It's just an addition to help create variety.

Werdnaibor

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:14 am   Reply with quote         

kittie wrote:
Werdnaibor wrote:

Right right.

I just want to throw out there to anyone who may misunderstand (not that you did)
that this is NOT meant to REPLACE the current system. It's just an addition to help create variety.

I'll just confirm that I didn't misunderstand, and I think it'll be a great addition.

kittie

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:17 am   Reply with quote         

Werdnaibor wrote:
kittie wrote:
Werdnaibor wrote:

Right right.

I'll just confirm that I didn't misunderstand, and I think it'll be a great addition.

I'll just confirm that I understand that you confirmed that you didn't misunderstand, and thank you for your support. Laughing

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Source Collection - Reply to topic