Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Question about contests. - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:39 pm   Reply with quote         

Can images that have been chopped be used as source images for contests?

Oscar

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:50 pm   Reply with quote         

absolutely not, it goes against choppin' rule 187635647999.

Rule 187635647999: You shall not chop a chopper's chop.

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:56 pm   Reply with quote         

Ok. I have a question about the buffalo contest. Is it against the rules to post a segment of the source to explain my question?

mikey

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:56 pm   Reply with quote         

Yes, but the chopped source your using must be under 1 by 1 inch. Laughing

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:02 pm   Reply with quote         

mikey wrote:
Yes, but the chopped source your using must be under 1 by 1 inch. Laughing

Lol. I'm not sure which part you're joking about.

ScionShade

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:10 pm   Reply with quote         

Just to keep everybody happy, feel free to Pm me and I'll try to help--or any mod that's on, someone yer friendly with, or something like that.

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:15 pm   Reply with quote         

Oscar wrote:

Ha! I actually used part of one of Shaman's chops to create a new chop in a contest that followed it. My inner creative person told me it was the right thing to do.

Shaman's chop from the day before.

My new chop, which earned 36 votes.

I myself don't see a problem with it provided it is substantially a different piece. But mine was done more to give Shaman a laught at the expense of the guy pictured in the source.

Oscar

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:48 pm   Reply with quote         

tadams wrote:
Oscar wrote:

Ha! I actually used part of one of Shaman's chops to create a new chop in a contest that followed it. My inner creative person told me it was the right thing to do.

Shaman's chop from the day before.

My new chop, which earned 36 votes.

I myself don't see a problem with it provided it is substantially a different piece. But mine was done more to give Shaman a laught at the expense of the guy pictured in the source.

This rule has exemptions.

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:50 pm   Reply with quote         

When I was looking at the source for the buffalo contest, the stairs seemed just a little bit out of place. Granted, they probably aren't, I wanted to see if anyone else agreed. Also, there's something by the tail that caught my eye. I may just be paranoid, but I'd appreciate if you gave it a look.

On the left, the top, right corner of the stairs look like part has been chopped off. There's a shadow in that place, but nothing I can see that would cause it.

And the tail, I'm not sure about. It just looked weird.

mikey

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:55 pm   Reply with quote         

You have a good eye for detail, it does look strange, but it could be an optical delusion? Rolling Eyes

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:01 pm   Reply with quote         

mikey wrote:
You have a good eye for detail, it does look strange, but it could be an optical delusion? Rolling Eyes

Lol. I'm not so sure about that. I just realized that it's a bison instead of a buffalo, which is what I've been calling it all along.

cafn8d

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:14 pm   Reply with quote         

So your question is about the actual source pic given by PSC, not an outside source? It is not unusual for people to "clean up" or creatively crop their photographs before submitting them. Any source given by PSC is the source you should use for that contest. You can add to the PSC source, distort it, change the setting, clean up the setting, etc, etc, etc, or just use it as a "canvas" to do whatever you want. Wink I won't guarantee any votes one way or another... but if it's a source given by PSC, you can use it for your chops on PSC.

Generally, outside sources, particularly those that might possibly have been previously chopped by someone else, should be given credit (via link) in your author's notes so people can see what you chopped vs. what you found. Look out for copyright infringement and do as much of your own work as you can, and you'll probably be okay. Smile

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:23 pm   Reply with quote         

cafn8d wrote:
So your question is about the actual source pic given by PSC, not an outside source? It is not unusual for people to "clean up" or creatively crop their photographs before submitting them. Any source given by PSC is the source you should use for that contest. You can add to the PSC source, distort it, change the setting, clean up the setting, etc, etc, etc, or just use it as a "canvas" to do whatever you want. Wink I won't guarantee any votes one way or another... but if it's a source given by PSC, you can use it for your chops on PSC.

Generally, outside sources, particularly those that might possibly have been previously chopped by someone else, should be given credit (via link) in your author's notes so people can see what you chopped vs. what you found. Look out for copyright infringement and do as much of your own work as you can, and you'll probably be okay. Smile

Thanks. I was aware of most of what you said, but was just unsure about the actual source being a chop.

WhimSea

Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:25 am   Reply with quote         

cafn8d wrote:

Bow bounce Angel Bow Angel

YEAH!!!! copyright plug!!!

WhimSea

Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:44 am   Reply with quote         

TAdams - I about choked on my popcorn looking at that "love scene"! bwahahahahahaha

and while we're on the subject of using chops in our chops to be funny... make sure to check out the TOAD-TORIAL I did. Parody, but oh so true. Sure to be a favorite Wedding/Bar Mitzfah/Birthday/Christmas/Get Well Quick-present for all your newbie choppers that just don't get it! bwahahahaha

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/124624/toad-torial-gif.html

and as far as that odd thing in that photo... I believe the stairs are made of slabs of stone and each of the railing bottoms have a metal plate for stability and securing the posts to the slabs, and that top one looks to be resting not only on the slab, but also on the top of the inner string (that long concrete part on the outer sides of the stairs.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Question about contests. - Reply to topic