Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - 25 votes, downfall of quality!? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

TheShaman

Post Wed May 06, 2009 12:31 pm   Reply with quote         

arcaico wrote:
Granulated wrote:

YAH!!

I can't believe how so many people never seem to improve, even after 200+ entries.

Hi Sean!

Hello to you Father Fabio!
and you're right bro, I've never improved here. ever.

Thats just the way it is some things will never change

Post Wed May 06, 2009 1:03 pm   Reply with quote         

Grefix wrote:
still think you should earn votes

A vote you get is a vote you (can) give. (possibly with a default LOW amount of standard votes per contest)

I actually think that would be a really really good idea. We have to earn the right to vote in the first place by getting to 10 chops. Maybe it would make sense to let a new member start voting once they got to a certain number of votes. Once they get to that number, they have a reduced number of votes. As more people vote on their chops, they can vote more as well.

For example:
New Member - Can't vote
200 votes - 5 votes
400 votes - 10 votes
600 votes - 15 votes
800 votes - 20 votes
1000 votes - 25 votes (max)

This encourages better chops when new members join because everyone wants to vote initially, but can't. I'm guilty of posting a couple shitty chops just so that I could get to 10 posts. If there's more concentration on quality instead of quantity, better works will be created in the long run. There would only be a limited number of chops with a message under them saying "only ____ more till i vote!"

supak0ma

Post Wed May 06, 2009 3:02 pm   Reply with quote         

rharrington31 wrote:
Grefix wrote:
still think you should earn votes

A vote you get is a vote you (can) give. (possibly with a default LOW amount of standard votes per contest)

I actually think that would be a really really good idea. We have to earn the right to vote in the first place by getting to 10 chops. Maybe it would make sense to let a new member start voting once they got to a certain number of votes. Once they get to that number, they have a reduced number of votes. As more people vote on their chops, they can vote more as well.

For example:
New Member - Can't vote
200 votes - 5 votes
400 votes - 10 votes
600 votes - 15 votes
800 votes - 20 votes
1000 votes - 25 votes (max)

This encourages better chops when new members join because everyone wants to vote initially, but can't. I'm guilty of posting a couple shitty chops just so that I could get to 10 posts. If there's more concentration on quality instead of quantity, better works will be created in the long run. There would only be a limited number of chops with a message under them saying "only ____ more till i vote!"

yea that is a good idea +1

pakimo

Post Wed May 06, 2009 3:34 pm   Reply with quote         

Maybe 25 votes are too many votes today in general. When there is 25 entries all entries are getting votes, even bad and lazy entries.

ScionShade

Post Wed May 06, 2009 3:42 pm   Reply with quote         

I enjoy seeing records broken so let's go with the vote scale,
and allow only those who've achieved 25 vote status to use their votes however they wish. If I wanna see an awesome image break that stupid vote record, then I should be allowed to put all my votes on just one horse.
Of course you all realize that every bit of this is moot, and pointless if you don't remove special contests from the all time most votes list. Wink

TheShaman

Post Wed May 06, 2009 3:59 pm   Reply with quote         

It always comes down to votes doesn't it Rolling Eyes

Lets play devils advocate. Why do we put a limit votes anyway?
Lets get rid of the shackles of 25 votes and have no limits.
everyone here should be able to vote for what they want or what they like. 1 image or all of them.
we all know why people vote.
People vote because they're friends...
They vote because they voted for theirs...
They vote for every single image because they at least gave it a go.
OR they vote because its damn good...
whatever. la-te-da.
At the end of the day what does it really matter?

As a noob I spent all 25 of my votes on each and every contest.

Lately I've been using about 10 votes for daily contests (I bother even looking at). The last prize contest (Leaf Droplets) I used only one. ONE! only time I have a hard time with 25 votes now, is on special reunion days when there are 60+ entries and I have to limit myself to the 25 votes.

My point is YOU vote for what YOU like, not what someone else likes or approves of. THIS IS ART, NOT ROCKET SCIENCE PEOPLE! I dislike Macabre, that doesn't mean that Hieronymus Bosch isn't renown for his work.

I'll go one step further... how bout
Unlimited votes on general daily contests
and you only get ONE vote for the prize days.

arcaico

Post Wed May 06, 2009 4:00 pm   Reply with quote         

pakimo wrote:
Maybe 25 votes are too many votes today in general. When there is 25 entries all entries are getting votes, even bad and lazy entries.

that´s why I use 2, 3 votes max... the only time I use more than that is in reunion contests...

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

YerPalAl

Post Wed May 06, 2009 4:03 pm   Reply with quote         

Just want to point out that if votes get pulled back to a lower level, no more records are liely to be set. Its another aspect to be considered.

ReinMan

Post Wed May 06, 2009 4:16 pm   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:
Just want to point out that if votes get pulled back to a lower level, no more records are likely to be set. Its another aspect to be considered.

Alan! We are not using records any more. We've been doing the "CD" thing for a while now. And there is this new thing called "MP3" coming along that looks good.

Just want to keep you up to date, dear. Wink

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Wed May 06, 2009 4:35 pm   Reply with quote         

this thread's four years old...

everything in it is moot

Post Wed May 06, 2009 4:44 pm   Reply with quote         

NO it's not.
Take a look at some of the crap floating in the stew these days and tell me that some of the remarks in here have no merit.

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Wed May 06, 2009 5:04 pm   Reply with quote         

Agreed. Some good points that are still true today.

Cartoon Contractor

Post Wed May 06, 2009 5:15 pm   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
It always comes down to votes doesn't it Rolling Eyes
My point is YOU vote for what YOU like, not what someone else likes or approves of. THIS IS ART, NOT ROCKET SCIENCE PEOPLE! I dislike Macabre, that doesn't mean that Hieronymus Bosch isn't renown for his work.

I agree with this point Sean makes! It is art and art is subjective. I am not close to the talent of the "seniors" of this site but I try and improve on each and every chop I post and not just post a chop in every contest. And sometimes I just vote for a couple of entries in a contest and some contests I vote for a bunch because they do have catchy images, although they may not be the quality of some of the super stars here, it doesn't mean they haven't given it their all! As far as the amount of votes we are given, I personally always thought 25 was too many. If you have to think about how many you may have to spend then It makes you think more on where you spend em! Just like money! You don't waste it if your running out. Your only gonna spend em on the ones you really like! But again, its subjective! What YOU like may not appeal to ME! Anyway, just my opinion! Take it for what its worth!salut

ReyRey

Post Wed May 06, 2009 5:59 pm   Reply with quote         

Granulated wrote:
dont get me started on the bizarre voting in the dog nose macro contest...

I just looked at that contest to see what you were talking about. I think Jason Dark a an underrated PSr . Some were good but he should have won by a mile. IMHO.
Does anyone really look at what was done

Granulated

Post Wed May 06, 2009 6:54 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
Granulated wrote:
dont get me started on the bizarre voting in the dog nose macro contest...

I just looked at that contest to see what you were talking about. I think Jason Dark a an underrated PSr . Some were good but he should have won by a mile. IMHO.
Does anyone really look at what was done

He's certainly NOT underrated ... however...his entry in the dog nose was rather fekkin good...though perhaps slightly confusing.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - 25 votes, downfall of quality!? - Reply to topic