Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - PSC Header Re-Design - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

HandToolUK

Post Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:50 am   Reply with quote         

HAhaha! Well spotted, At.

Well then. Since jmh is gonna have to edit that anyway, he might as well replace it with one of the flipped ones suggested... Wink

Post Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:00 pm   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:
Having the swash ascending, as the logo does now, gives a more positive image to the header. My only suggestion at this point would be to use a more freehand type of script for the word "unleashed". It would give more punch to the concept than merely using an oblique font.

NO SCRIPT FONT PLEASE!!!! It's UGLY!!! The way JHM did it is very good.
I REPEAT,... NO SCRIPT FONT!!!

chrispis

Post Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:04 pm   Reply with quote         

I agree...

HandToolUK

Post Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:19 pm   Reply with quote         

Well... that's 2 strong votes AGAINST that idea... Heh.

What about the idea of flipping the flash/stripe,eg:

Yes? No? Don't give a flying f...ilter? Razz

Post Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:28 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey HT, don't listen to those guys. If ya ask 10 art directors the same question you'll get 10 different ideas.

Go with what you want. I feel just as strongly as they do that a simple script could work well so there you are.

HandToolUK

Post Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:47 pm   Reply with quote         

Fair point, Al.

Personally I'm ambivolent - I'd like to see some script options though.

...but the bottom line is: whatever jmh goes with is the law! Razz

Post Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:31 pm   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:
Hey HT, don't listen to those guys. If ya ask 10 art directors the same question you'll get 10 different ideas.

Go with what you want. I feel just as strongly as they do that a simple script could work well so there you are.

10 art directors,... I guess you have good art directors and bad art directors,... put ME in the category of the good ones,... and I say NO SCRIPT FONT!!! Very Happy
Call me cocky,.. a cocky and GREAT art director. A script just doesn't fit with the rest of the site design. I know you americans like the script thing,... Wink

Again,... the way JMH did the type, is good. Don't screw it up with any cheap script font.
Sorry, I have this thing against script fonts. Rolling Eyes

YerPalAl

Post Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:34 pm   Reply with quote         

And that makes all script font usage bad!?!?! Rolling Eyes

Sheesh, get a grip Chrispis (everybody sing) I have won awards for my design work too and I ran a type house so I know a little about the subject. It was just a suggestion anyway and it is up to jmh finally so please, calm down a little. The entire site is done in san serif. All very nice and plain vanilla. (*yawn* . . . ho-hum)The idea for one word being in script would not destroy the ambiance, but it would add a tremendous punch to the one word it is used for and that was my only reason for suggesting it.

Besides, script fonts come in all different complexities and I am not suggesting anything froofroo fer God's sake. Wink

Fugue

Post Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:04 pm   Reply with quote         

`

Well I think it's because Al has found a new love in his life, and love has been known to turn a man's thoughts to overbearing sentimentality and passion for script fonts.

Well, at least Unleashed is italicised. That's something, innit? What if that word was also orange? Like what fempie did here:

Perhaps that would punch it up enough and give some balance to the orange logo on the other side... not that I place undue importance on symetry.

That phrase still sounds like a dodgy self-help book to me.

Aha!...

PS: Or how about this to add punch Wink :

HandToolUK

Post Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:45 pm   Reply with quote         

Ahhh YES!

Being the shameless self-publicist that he is Wink , and given how many different entries he's appeared in, what better to sum up the PSC "Creative Minds Unleashed" than the ReinMan himself? Laughing

Post Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:16 am   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:
And that makes all script font usage bad!?!?! Rolling Eyes

Sheesh, get a grip Chrispis (everybody sing) I have won awards for my design work too and I ran a type house so I know a little about the subject. It was just a suggestion anyway and it is up to jmh finally so please, calm down a little. The entire site is done in san serif. All very nice and plain vanilla. (*yawn* . . . ho-hum)The idea for one word being in script would not destroy the ambiance, but it would add a tremendous punch to the one word it is used for and that was my only reason for suggesting it.

Besides, script fonts come in all different complexities and I am not suggesting anything froofroo fer God's sake. Wink

Script font usage is bad,.. it is just to mak things fun Very Happy
Sans Serif use isn't boring. The best fonts are sans serif and you should know it.
Tremendous punch? Come on,... this is what I mean by making things 'fun',... adding some bling bling to it. There are very FEW usefull script fonts.

Besides me getting all worked up about script fonts Wink I would like to see some of your work. For real. I'm more of a packaging designer, but also doing a lot of graphic stuff and illustration.

chrispis

Post Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:24 am   Reply with quote         

there's only one font when it comes to readability.It is called "Arial" !

it's also the classiest ...just so you know Wink

I fancy myself in the good art directors category too Very Happy

chrispis

Post Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:48 am   Reply with quote         

Don't forget the comic sans Led,... don't forget it.

Fugue

Post Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:13 am   Reply with quote         

`
In the most comprehensive published testing on the subject by The Software Usability Research Laboratory, Wichita State University, they found - not Arial, not Times, but:
Quote:
"...Verdana appears to be the best overall font choice. Besides being the most preferred, it was read fairly quickly and was perceived as being legible."

Quote:
"Comic Sans was found to be the most illegible of the eight fonts evaluated."

http://psychology.wichita.edu/surl/usabilitynews/41/onlinetext.htm[/quote]

AtHeaMo

Post Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:27 am   Reply with quote         

Ariel is okay for webdesign. For grafical design, however, you shouldn't use it (at leat, in my opinion). Here's why: it doesn't have a real oblique / italic font.

Look at ariel italic and a similar one, scala sans italic, and you will spot the difference:

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - PSC Header Re-Design - Reply to topic