Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Fun and Games - Mom's and Dad's - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:00 am   Reply with quote         

I ant no parent... i am only 19... but i found my self entertained by that alittle too much.... well i guess a genius always needs some time off for the more simple things... Wink

ReinMan

Post Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:19 am   Reply with quote         

Sample from Splodge's site:

Okay. I'm NEVER gonna grow up now... Razz

Scion - you gotta admit the BoomBums site is SERIOUS ACID LAND stuff. (I particularily liked the BOUNCE THE PEOPLE ON THE COMFY CHAIR game and the HELP THE BIG AFRICAN-AMERICAN CATCH GIANT FALLING APPLES game).

If I had seen that shite when I was a toddler I'd probably have grown up all weird and artistic like - and therefore have no friends! Wink

ReinMan

Post Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:20 am   Reply with quote         

P.S.

I have no progeny - you may thank me with expensive gifts and your back copies of Photoshop Users magazines! Very Happy

ronni3264

Post Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:29 am   Reply with quote         

Has anyone ever heard of the "Baby Einstien" series of videos and cd`s? I saw a DVD the other day, and (Although my kid`s are too old for them at this point) I LOVED IT!!! They are AWESOME for babies and toddlers!!! Kinda like what Sesame Street USED to be when we were kids (I`m 36)...

ScionShade

Post Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:30 pm   Reply with quote         

Post Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:42 pm   Reply with quote         

Scion - While agree with much of your discussion, you're off the mark on the Mr. Rogers Bad-Ass thing. Check this out: http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp

As a father of two girls, the best advise I can give is to never forget that they are kids. Too many people today are so concerned about educating their children in areas of math and reading that they completely forget how much fun it is to be a kid and just play. I'm all for integrating eductional material into the things kids like to do (i.e. watch TV, play video games), but there's nothing wrong with letting them just play dress-up or make up games that are seemingly mindless. My older daughter is in kindergarten and already has a third grade reading level, but her biggest concern right now is learning how to ride her bike without training wheels. It really saddens me to see parent pushing thier kids to adulthood at earlier and earlier ages. They'll be adults soon enough... and childhood is so short. Let them enjoy it.

sage

Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:53 am   Reply with quote         

wow! where were you guys when I needed you?

First off, Stu, congratulations on the addition.

Here are my opinions thus far:

Square is right about the 6-12 lbs on the diapers. (actually, I agreed with all her points, and if you can't read, find someone who can Wink )

As L-dawg mentioned, things progress in stages. At first, babies are no different than plants...you just water them once in a while, and they don't move. Some of what I considered "tough times" were over before I knew it. I'd like to say that things get easier, but they don't really. Just different. (BTW, Julian is 3 now. Sorry I deceived you all into believing that he is still that little guy you see in my Avatar).

Nickelodeon rocks.

Eternal Dirt is only 19.

The Baby Einstein series are great for infants. (There are about 5 in all)

and yes, never forget they are kids.

my addition: don't shake your child, no matter how frustrated you may be, until they are atleast 2 yrs old; when you get angry with him(?) make sure he knows you love him; and when he starts talking, don't swear in front of him because the little fuckers are like tape recorders Very Happy (sorry patre...it was for dramatic effect Confused )

vunt van pumununt

Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:20 am   Reply with quote         

congratulations stu!

sage wrote:
and when he starts talking, don't swear in front of him because the little fuckers are like tape recorders Very Happy

HAHAAHA... i can relate man! but (thus far) i've learnt my lesson. cause what you (at least i) don't want is a toddler shouting f@ck all day (they pick up the emotional content - irrespective of valence - very quickly).

a slip of the tongue is always possible. you can learn to say "fiddlesticks" instead of something more ... powerfull, but when push comes to shove, and you slam the door on your thumb, you don't scream "FIDDLESTICKS"...

if your child hears this, rest assured, it has been 'taped' (following sage's analogy Smile). and it can take 5 minutes or 5 days, but this word will be repeated!! now comes the hard part: when your child says F@ck or whatever you may be inclined to laugh ... DON'T.
I shit you not, as soon as they know you ("all-powerfull funny guy who throws me u in the air until i go gaga") find it funny, it is hell getting it out again.
it happend to me twice; the first time i laughed - and that word sometimes still rears it's ugly head... the second time, out of the blue he said fuck at the diningroom table about 20 minutes after i slammed my thumb... hilarious in my opinion (a cute little dude saying fuck... the contrast is so huge!) but you don't want your child like that! so my wife and i laughed one at a time. when he looked in my direction i kept a relatively straight face and told him not to say such a thing whilst my wife cracked up; when he looked in het direction, we switched roles. difficult to do but VERY effective; he never said it again.

Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:53 am   Reply with quote         

Thanks for all this advice guys and gals. Much appreciated.

Just one thing I don't understand, sage. What's a tape recorder? Is it like some sort of old-fashioned DVD burner or something? Wink

By the way sage, I'm curious to know what Julian looks like. Seems like he might be quite a mix. Ours is half Irish/ half Taiwanese, so who knows... Julian might be a bit of reference for my wife, who's constantly staring into Sean's eyes and saying "Can you see the blue? There's blue in there...... Can you see it??", and any time she sees a half "western" baby over here, she's like "Did you see him/her??? Did you?? Did you??? Was he/she cute?? Eh?? Eh??"

...currently experiencing some dysfunctional internal protocol problems.

http://diystrat.blogspot.com/
sage

Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:47 am   Reply with quote         

Laughing Laughing Laughing Vunt! so true....(OK...you can change that double-dratted-darned signature now! Wink )

stu...lol...actually, my wife and I are mixes...my dad's Dominican, mom's Japanese, and Di's half Irish Shocked and half English. Which means that Julian's um...Canadian?

I will post a more recent picture of him on Patre's family thread.

sage

Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:14 pm   Reply with quote         

oh, yeah, one more thing, Stu...

Even if you or your wife have taken CPR courses, I would suggest you take CPR for infants and toddlers. The difference in the two is huge, and always good to know. (but then again, I always make Julian wear a life-jacket in the bath...)

oh, and thanks, Vunt. I guess I deserve that! Laughing Cool

theplague

Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:47 pm   Reply with quote         

Stu if you want my advice : next time use condoms :]

sage

Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:43 pm   Reply with quote         

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Stu:

The many types of condoms now available can make choosing one seem overwhelming, but learning about the differences will help you make a selection. For your safety, it is important to understand the difference between novelty and FDA-approved condoms. Novelties are for entertainment only; if worn, they are intended to be removed before intercourse. Since they are not...

oh, never mind Very Happy

p.s., I did not make that stuff up. If you want more information, pm me and I'll send you the link Wink

sage

Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:40 pm   Reply with quote         

Sorry, ScionShade, for straying off the intent of your thread.

The Learning Company, Inc has amazing CD-ROMS for pre-schoolers and even kids in elementary school. One in particular I find both entertaining and educational is Peter Rabbit. Each CD pertains to a specific age group, and the A.D.A.P.T Learning Technology.

Before starting a session, your child has the option of taking an assessment test. The test comprises a series of questions pertaining to math, spelling, reading and grammar. Depending on how your child answers these questions, the session will adapt to his or her strengths and weaknesses.

I...heh, heh, I mean Julian especially likes the one where Sam the Lion has to rescue Peter Rabbit from the dragon's enchanted castle. Through a series of mazes and tasks, you make your way through the castle until you complete every level and save Peter Rabbit!

Great fun for everyone!

ScionShade

Post Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:01 pm   Reply with quote         

i LIKE THE "PUTT-pUTT" cd games.

They're great.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Fun and Games - Mom's and Dad's - Reply to topic