Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Welcome Center - A noble cause. - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

supak0ma

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:50 am   Reply with quote         

*runs to ladies room to comfort nancers

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:00 am   Reply with quote         

you're lifeblood 2 nancenopants Smile Wink Smile

Gort

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:08 am   Reply with quote         

Welcome, Sword of Alias.
Tis true you are an old member, for small things give you away. Comments such as "what people are voting for these days" show that you remember older days. And what a pity, my lord, that your wit is sharp only when your face is cloaked.

Me thinks you must attack others to compensate for wielding a small dagger.

Cynn

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:22 am   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:37 am   Reply with quote         

I agree with Nancers and Gort. And to make myself perfectly clear, truthfulness in judging a post is always the best course, but indeed beauty, and sometimes truth itself, is in the eye of the beholder. I might vote for an average post from a rookie that I would not vote for if it had been posted by a more experienced chopper. There is an element of incentive as well as the harsh light of graphic purity that should be considered when weighing the relative merits of any contest entry.

People vote for different reasons and graphics appeal to different people for different reasons also, so if you expecct to impose your sense of values in judging here then you should change your name to Sword of Fools. A far more useful purpose could be acheived by looking at what showcase and I have embarked on, by adding comments on posts that are meant to be positive suggestions for ways to improve the chop rather than negative slights on the talent of the chopper or the intelligence and taste of the voters.

And hiding behind an alias is a cheezeball way of doing anything. If you have something to contribute to the site then have cojones enough to do it in the open under the name we already know you by. Anything less smacks of stirring up anger by spreading dissent.

Patre

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:02 pm   Reply with quote         

Delete

nancers
Former Site Moderator

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:52 pm   Reply with quote         

Bah! Who cares about voting, aliases or hurt feelings! A handsome Italian has followed me into the ladies room...that's all that matters!

Grazie supakoma, voi sono un principe. Baciamo.
Wink

YerPalAl

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:58 pm   Reply with quote         

Maybe for you, hot stuff!

Cynn

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:13 pm   Reply with quote         

Supa, can I borrow your lip gloss?

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:15 pm   Reply with quote         

There's a logical unspoken conclusion to the statement "stop hiding behind an alias and show us your real identity". That conclusion is - "because I'd like to know who to avoid the next time I'm voting".

Why else would people care so much about which avatar someone is using to speak their mind?

I've ruffled my share of feathers here and know that as a result there are a number of people
who wouldn't vote for me if I painted the Sistine Chapel

Some members here are so deep-rooted and stable in the PSC community that they can say just about anything with absolute immunity. Other members (like SOT) know they'll see a decline in their votes.

I understand being surprised by the number of votes certain posts receive.

You get over it after a while (or you leave). This site is fun but the voting methods are far from scientifically pure.

My only problem with Sword of Truth is why, with infinite possibilities, one would choose to fashion their persona after a 32 year old virgin renaissance faire junkie.

YerPalAl

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:20 pm   Reply with quote         

Well, Badcop, your VPP of 28.60 rather repudiates your stand about a decline in voting for someone who speaks their mind don't you think?

Yes, posts today get a far higher number of votes than they used to. There are more people voting and they have more votes, pretty simple really. If you are truly concerned about the perceived decline in quality perhaps some positive suggestion on how posters can improve their skills might be in order. The other way to fight it is instead of sitting back and complaining, to post again. as you have finally started BC. At least you earn some respect by putting your skills on the line.

SOT merely complains, hiding safely behind anonimity. He/she should post to show the newer members what they need to aspire to.

That's all I am saying.

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:17 pm   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:
Well, Badcop, your VPP of 28.60 rather repudiates your stand about a decline in voting for someone who speaks their mind don't you think?]

You can't argue that a large number of votes placed on this site are based solely on personal relationships, can you?

If I had a good friend on this site, I'd vote for them too (regardless of the quality). They'd be insulted if I didn't.

Many people here are very well liked and that is reflected in their VPP.

Conversly, when someone is disliked, it should be fair to assume that some votes will be withheld.

When you take anonymity away, human nature steps in.

(I think in a fair world my vpp would be in the high 60s Razz)

YerPalAl wrote:
SOT merely complains, hiding safely behind anonimity. He/she should post to show the newer members what they need to aspire to

Perhaps SOT simply doesn't have the skill to "show newer members what they need to aspire to". My guess is that he is posting the same quality of work as some people who are getting way more votes than he is and that's what's pissing him off. I can understand that.

I've used this analogy before and I'll use it again; One doesn't have to direct a film before he can leave a movie and say "that sucked". People should be allowed to have opinions no matter how many images they have personally posted or their quality.

YerPalAl

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:06 pm   Reply with quote         

badcop wrote:

YerPalAl wrote:
Well, Badcop, your VPP of 28.60 rather repudiates your stand about a decline in voting for someone who speaks their mind don't you think?]

You can't argue that a large number of votes placed on this site are based solely on personal relationships, can you?

Of course not, So do you think that SOTs method of stirring up firefights on people's posts is going to stop that?

Quote:
If I had a good friend on this site, I'd vote for them too (regardless of the quality). They'd be insulted if I didn't.

Funny, I have friends here that I have not voted for and we still maintain our friendship. My voting criteria must be higher than yours.

Quote:
Many people here are very well liked and that is reflected in their VPP.

Conversly, when someone is disliked, it should be fair to assume that some votes will be withheld.

When you take anonymity away, human nature steps in.

(I think in a fair world my vpp would be in the high 60s Razz)

Well, you can think what you wish. Wink Perhaps if you were to take a more positive proactive stand you would not need to be so worried about people's poor opinion of you.

Quote:
YerPalAl wrote:
SOT merely complains, hiding safely behind anonimity. He/she should post to show the newer members what they need to aspire to

Perhaps SOT simply doesn't have the skill to "show newer members what they need to aspire to". My guess is that he is posting the same quality of work as some people who are getting way more votes than he is and that's what's pissing him off. I can understand that.

So, instead of trying to improve, of asking a top chopper to give pointers, or of practicing; SOT merely sits and complains and you seem to feel this is acceptable? You are making it sound that way pal. Besides, what you are saying is merely supposition isn't it?

Quote:
I've used this analogy before and I'll use it again; One doesn't have to direct a film before he can leave a movie and say "that sucked". People should be allowed to have opinions no matter how many images they have personally posted or their quality.

I have no problem with people having an opinion, Badcop, I've listened to enough of yours. My point is As a mod my attitude is that it is desirable that this site not degenerate into a series of wars so I take a necessarily dimmer view on someone hiding behind an alias simply to cause trouble.

You would too if you were true to your statements.

supak0ma

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:14 pm   Reply with quote         

we're still in the ladies room. nanc let's stay in here and flirt heavily, there's too much noise out there ;P

cynn! no you can't ;P

EJH

Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:25 pm   Reply with quote         

*AHEM* Could you guys hurry it up in there? Some of us need to pee.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Welcome Center - A noble cause. - Reply to topic