Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Stock Image Vs Photoshopped Image - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Are there more entries these days than in the past that are relying on the artwork of others to get votes?

I agree

61%

61%

[ 34 ]

I disagree

38%

38%

[ 21 ]

Total Votes: 55

Post Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:12 pm   Reply with quote         

Scionshade, I apologize for the users like Holly9000. He really has no clue about nearly everything that plops from his ass to his keyboard.

This reminds me of something I've said during many of my crusades:

"Truth is the truth no matter who the person is that says it.
The truth is no less the truth because you do not respect the person that says it."

That's right. I've said that. OH ALRIGHT!! alright, maybe I read it somewhere but I'm sure I remembered it just for this situation.

Holly9000 wrote:
to everyone:

this guy's agenda is so apparent that he's willing to tell us what it is--he has no real concern for the artists the voters or the quality of the posts on this site--he's all about his own "votes"--hey--whatever--if this has all been an excersise so that some disgruntled old member who stopped chopping cause his VPP started to fall can feel like a "man" again than i've contributed to it for the last time--

Can you, just for a change, try saying something thats at least worth the 2 cents your momma paid to buy you from the 2 bit whore that couldn't wait to get rid of you. You've said the same thing, time and time again, "He's an Alias", "He's just pissed about his votes", etc. give your ass some air, let it breathe, maybe you can shit something a little different next time.

ok, place your bets now. 5 to 1 Holly9000 will HAVE to "contribute" to this thread just one more time.

(Final point to Holly9000: look at the current poll results dumbass)

Doodler!

Post Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:25 pm   Reply with quote         

lol Laughing

Post Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:12 pm   Reply with quote         

Hmmmmm. Very Interesting. In the last hour since my last comment, the "I disagree" option has received 4 votes. It only had 7 when I commented. More than 50% of its vote total for the entire running of this poll. Did we just have a run of new board readers or did Holly9000 log in with his aliases and vote. very predictable I would say.

sage

Post Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:07 am   Reply with quote         

Post Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:41 am   Reply with quote         

I apoligize for the momentary sidetracking of this worthwhile thread. I have to get this off my chest...

YerPalAl wrote:
You could certainly do as the other well known alias here, Badcop, has done and post under your alias name thereby protecting your precious VPP.

YPA, your disdain for me has emerged many times in many forms. I get it. I have to say, however, that I'm getting tired of the alias nonesense and wish you (and others) would stop using it as an easy fallback in your rebuttals.

First of all, let me clear up my "alias" situation: Although I started out on PSC briefly under a different name, I've been using "Badcop" exclusively for much longer.

The reason I switched names was to stop my old boss from reading comments I made in the chatroom.
Whatever.
My point is, because I haven't used my original account in ages to vote, post or comment and use Badcop exclusively, can I still considered an alias?

I do fully support people's decision to use aliases. It's not about "protecting precious VPP", it's about wanting their work to be judged fairly without introducing hate into the voters' decision making process.

YerPalAl wrote:
Badcop (again) made the point that one doesn't have to be a director to walk out of a movie saying it stinks. True enough, but that is why some people make their careers reviewing movies and some make theirs as accountants or truck drivers or farmers. Just because everybody has an opinion does not mean all opinions are equally valid, that is why we have the Acadamy Awards and the People's Choice Awards.

Point taken. In your view, when it comes to movies, truck drivers have less valid opinions than film students, who in turn have less valid opinions than movie directors.

Im curious what your measure of validity is when it comes to opinions on this site?
We know that aliases are mindless holograms but how does it go on from there?
Does someone with a vpp of 15 have more valid opinions than someone with a vpp of 14?

YerPalAl

Post Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:42 pm   Reply with quote         

You know, Badcop, I have discussed this and other issues with you over a long time and always felt my responses showed dignity and respect for your ideas even when I disagreed with them. I even pointed out that by posting you have gained credibility and this point has been brought up to me by others so it is not MY opinion alone we are dealing with. If you care to look, I believe I have voted for a good half of your posts so it seems disingenious to accuse me of disdain in your case merely because I disagree with some of your statements or happen to make a critique on one of your contest entries.

ScionShade

Post Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:17 pm   Reply with quote         

the problem with the
"others have come to me with this problrem argument"
is that it gets used on every subject and
at every altercation.
Of ALL the people here, only one person
has all these people agreeing with them-
in e-mails and PM's, but NOT in the forum.
YPA - I have to call you on this-- you use it too much--
if yer gonna pull this "I gotta buncha people on my side" stuff all
the time- then start naming names- cause
frankly I and "been brought up to me by others so it is not MY opinion alone"
think your kinda, well not being honest anymore. Very Happy

EJH

Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:21 pm   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:
if you are going to pick apart any work, you need to prove you can do as good or better, period.
If you are going to talk the talk, you need to be able to walk the walk.

I disagree with this point.

I think that many people's vision often exceeds their skills, I know mine does. In other words, I may have a great idea for a chop, or suggestions on how to make someone else's work better, but may not necessarily be able to pull it off myself.

I've been educated in design, and am employed as a graphic designer. I think I have a good sense of composition, concept, aesthetics, etc... all qualities that contribute to a good chop. However, my photoshop skills aren't nearly up to the level of many here. Does that mean if I see a problem with a great chopper's work that my feedback isn't valid? Just because my skills are not in the same league?

Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:42 pm   Reply with quote         

Wow... she's a graphic artist, she's cute as a button, she makes logical arguments AND she uses punctuation and capitalization correctly.

That's it! I'm smitten!! Wink

sage

Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:03 pm   Reply with quote         

Quote:
...my photoshop skills aren't nearly up to the level of many here.

I disagree with this point.

I've seen your portfolio (in the middle of the night, when everyone's asleep, my lights turned off, bottle of Aussie Shiraz beside me..Twisted Evil ) I hope you're not basing this on the number of votes you're getting. Shocked

EJH

Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:41 pm   Reply with quote         

Well... I suppose I don't mind if you find flaw in my argument there, sage.

Thank you Smile

YerPalAl

Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:52 pm   Reply with quote         

No EJH, it does not mean your opinions are not valid, I would certainly listen to any feedback from you.

But then, you have not embarked on a crusade to educate the site have you?

I'm simply saying here that comments on a contest entry need to be limited to positives or negatives on the post itself, not to engage people in a debate on voting practices, that belongs here.

And, if someone intends to become the instructor on good photoshop technique for the site, they should be able to produce high quality chops themselves and prove that they can.

All the rest of this is smoke and mirroes.

Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:02 pm   Reply with quote         

Can we get this straight once and for all?
I am not trying to instuct on photoshop techniques. I don't even know how the whole teacher thing got started (maybe it was me but I think it was the others that sort of dragged me into that role). I have said more than once I don't do photoshop professionally.

What I have done is participate here for a long time and I have stong opinions about what pscontest is and what a contest image is (or should be).

I still maintain my original argument which is too many contest entries are relying too much on the work (concept, composition, lighting and colors) of a well found stock image. Clearly, I am not the only one that sees this trend as a problem. Why is it so wrong for me to try and show members, especially new ones starting everyday, what I'm talking about?

This poll was leaning heavily towards the "I agree" until the third day when I decided putting up with holly9000 and all his comments and accusations wasn't worth it anymore. After my comment to him, it jumped up to nearly what it is today (20-18 in favor of "I agree"). I can speculate why but even so, at least 50% of the members that voted think its a valid argument.

People talk about wanting to learn and receive encouragement and YerPalAl, among others, is very disappointed that my techniques for encouragement are not that great. Well, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to encourage a member because they did a decent cut and paste into a stock image. I will point it out then encourage them to build more of an entry on their own or from multiple sources that complete their own concept or idea.

Something else that is wrong with this site is this.
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/71798/display.html
A lazy chop done as an attempt to offend or make fun of me in some way with extremely poor technique and it gets 10 votes. And you don't have to be any more than a novice to see that. 10 votes that some other new member might have enjoyed more for doing hard work with a real desire to get votes and encouragement. This type of thing is a shame.

I will address the other poll in that thread. Thanks for the "Alias" support.

Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:09 pm   Reply with quote         

sage

Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:23 pm   Reply with quote         

Quote:
if someone intends to become the instructor on good photoshop technique for the site, they should be able to produce high quality chops themselves and prove that they can.

Absolutely.

Quote:
Does that mean if I see a problem with a great chopper's work that my feedback isn't valid? Just because my skills are not in the same league?

Absolutely not. I mean it does not mean that your feedback isn't valid.

Despite the fact thatI can't draw, I don't do photography and I don't develop concepts, as art director in a design studio, part of my mandate is to approve illustrations, photographs and layouts. Many decisions I take override those of seasoned illustrators, photographers and creative directors even though I cannot do what they do.

Everyone can suggest. Everyone has an opinion. The one important factor that differentiates one person's opinion from another's is what backs them up. I'm not telling anyone anything new here, but as artists, when you apply for a job, the interview is all about your portfolio. As a prospective employer, you can talk all you want, boast, intimidate, whatever, to impress and convince the interviewer that you are the best candidate for the job. Your words are just words with no substance. Your portfolio is what sells you and your credibility. It's what backs up your words. The reason I can do what I do is that I have an extensive portfolio and a proven track record which speak for themeselves.

I think what pisses everyone off about aliases is exactly that: they don't have credentials. Criticizing under an alias, you come out as arrogant, self-righteous and pompous, and due to human nature, will be met with resentment.

I hope those refusing to post anymore will resume.

BTW, how do you guys do that thing to replace the word "quote" with "someone wrote"?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Stock Image Vs Photoshopped Image - Reply to topic