Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Can anyone recommend software to organize image files?? - Reply to topic

Post Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:49 pm   Reply with quote         

I have a lot of photos, photoshops, illustrator files, etc. and I'd like to be able toassign keywords to them.

I'd also like the program to allow images to be stored on removable media as well as my hard drive. (So that if I wanted something stored only a CD or something, the program might say something like "Please insert the disk labeled IMAGES 54" or something like that.

I tried Google's Picasa2 -- I'm impressed with its speed, but it's still Beta and seems like it. Not that many features, and interface still needs a lot of work. It's close to what I want but not there yet.

So... any suggestions?

Freeware and shareware is preferred... but...

txpinky

Post Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:31 am   Reply with quote         

For Mac it will be findit, very useful

Post Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:14 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm stucked on Picasa2 Sad What I like is that it refreshes the catalog automaticaly whenever new pics are added. It can also remember CD's. Pretty much promising.

Post Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:07 pm   Reply with quote         

Picasa2 is wonderfull...and free

aw8pj

Post Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:28 pm   Reply with quote         

I use ACDSee and it hasn't let me down yet. I also have Picasa2 and although I prefer it's interface ACDSee is more fully functional. Hope this helps.

pacoperez

Post Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:58 pm   Reply with quote         

ACDSee, or IrfanView,that it's free.

Post Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:23 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks for the alternatives mentioned so far... I will look into them & see if they work for me.

But I see that a lot of you DO use Picasa2.... so my new question is:

how do you deal with the removable storage issue?

I haven't tried it yet, but I was unhappy with the way Picasa imports files from CDs -- it ignores all folders and subfolders and just imports the images en masse. But a lot of times, it's very important for me to know what subfolders were used because (for example) they tell me that these images were source files for certain projects etc.

I have to start removing things from my hard drive... and also my wife is bugging me about our wedding photos...

Post Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:19 pm   Reply with quote         

am i missing something--why not just use the file browser app that comes bundled with photoshop itself?..you can assign keywords, batch rename,all kinds of good stuff--seems to work just fine 4 me Question

Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:00 am   Reply with quote         

Quote:

Posted: 27 Mar 2005 07:19 pm Post subject: ?
am i missing something--why not just use the file browser app that comes bundled with photoshop itself?..you can assign keywords, batch rename,all kinds of good stuff--seems to work just fine 4 me

Um, lazy dumbass that I am, I haven't tried it yet.

I guess my issue with new software is I'd rather hear what OTHER people have to say about it so I don't have to live with it for a month, arrange my files around it, etc. only to find.. naah, I don't like it.

But actually PS sounds like a good bet.

Ok, then.

1337hax0r

Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:16 pm   Reply with quote         

holly9000 wrote:
am i missing something--why not just use the file browser app that comes bundled with photoshop itself?..you can assign keywords, batch rename,all kinds of good stuff--seems to work just fine 4 me Question

i agree this works great...

Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:04 pm   Reply with quote         

ACDSee Classic has served me well for years, I swear by it.

blue_lurker

Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:37 am   Reply with quote         

ACDC 5
Works a treat and you can have multi-windows open, some of the free programs dont allow that.

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Can anyone recommend software to organize image files?? - Reply to topic