Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - Error in standings? - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Goat1981

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:06 pm   Reply with quote         

Hello, all.

I'm a bit confused at how the new standings (now that the new stats are implimented) are tallied. Yesterday, I was #2 in the month-of-July standings and now I am nonexistant; and judging by the how the standings are ranked (by # of votes received sofar in the month?), I should still be there somewhere on the list.

Please don't take this as a complaint topic, because it isn't. I just want to make sure there are no errors in the calculation system (which can occur when programming new stats) and that it is fair for everyone. I may not be the only one who mysteriously disappeared from the standings list!

Cheers,
--Kris

yello_piggy

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:13 pm   Reply with quote         

yeah me too. after 12 entries it shows only 10 in july ... maybe it will be fixed tomorrow.

jmh132
Site Moderator

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:23 pm   Reply with quote         

there is no error. The standing figures are now based (as they should have been) on the contest dates and not the dates of the actual posts or votes.

the standings are updated once per day at around 5am.

Patre

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:32 pm   Reply with quote         

Looks good to me, but I do have one question. I have posted only five entries for the month of July, but the "standings" table shows that I have posted six. My assumption is that the table is also including "Advantage" posts which have been posted and remain on the "Advantage" page waiting for the contest to open. Am I right?
Thanks for the fresh approach to the idea of "ranking".
Smile

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:35 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm going to have to go with Goat1981 on this one.. He's posted in 7 contests this month and gotten a bunch of votes (even winning one contest)..

He oughtta be up there on the most votes list somewhere, probably more votes than me and I'm on the list at #8. Not sure what the logic in the code is going by, but even if it's using dates for the entries that are only closed, it still seems to be a bit off or possibly missing some data from somewhere...

:shrug:

jmh132
Site Moderator

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:35 pm   Reply with quote         

yes, the advantage entries were included. This has been corrected and it will show after tonights statistic run.

jmh132
Site Moderator

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:44 pm   Reply with quote         

Azionite, I re-ran the numbers by hand and got the same. They are indeed correct aside from a few extra advantage posts. There was a timeshift in the standings, the data was not "lost".

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:49 pm   Reply with quote         

the data was most definitely lost...I was #1 in the standings with 136,450,729 votes and 753 contest wins. Now I'm not even listed! (And in fact, all those votes and winning entries have disappeared, too!) What a ripoff.

jmh132
Site Moderator

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:54 pm   Reply with quote         

the standings are correct, but currently only showing those with 25 total posts or more. This was a criteria that I used for test runs. I will re-run the stats with a lesser value asap. Again, data was not lost. Just shifted around a bit.

Goat1981

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:09 pm   Reply with quote         

jmh132 wrote:
the standings are correct, but currently only showing those with 25 total posts or more. This was a criteria that I used for test runs. I will re-run the stats with a lesser value asap. Again, data was not lost. Just shifted around a bit.

Thanks for explaining. So, now you have to have 25+ entrys to even appear on the list? This explains why I disappeared, as I only have 20 (or 21...I can't remember) entrys. Though, I fail to see why there's a minimum limit of 25 entries for a monthly standings table, this explains the "error."

Thanks. Didn't mean to get anyone riled up.

--Kris

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:49 pm   Reply with quote         

Yep, thanks for explaining JMH. You're doing a great job!

Actually as a web programmer, I know that when people notice the little nit-picky things on your site it is a very good sign that everything else is running smoothly. I know you're proud of what you've done here, I would be.

Thanks for keeping us in line! Wink

blue_lurker

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:13 pm   Reply with quote         

( raises hand...waits to be noticed...ah to hell with it...)

Im gunna be the dummy here and ask the dumb question

What does "RPP" mean

( Sits down...waits for a response...hopes he dont have ta ware the dunces cap...)

billtvshow
Site Moderator

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:30 pm   Reply with quote         

I posted it before in a stats thread some time back, jmh was very cool to use it.

Rank percentile per post

rpp for one entry = 100 x (1 - (rank of a post/number of entries in that contest))
Then each of you entries' rpp's up and divide by your total number of entries.
Cool

The power of the stat is that it adjusts for the change in the amount of competition on the site versus just simply averaging ranks.

(That stat is copyright by me for use here only. Razz)
ReinMan

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:16 pm   Reply with quote         

My Heavens! Pretty soon this site is gonna have more STATS than BASEBALL! Shocked

1337hax0r

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:56 pm   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
My Heavens! Pretty soon this site is gonna have more STATS than BASEBALL! Shocked

baseball?

what does canada know about baseball? Wink

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - Error in standings? - Reply to topic