Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Bulk voting (?) - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Post Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:12 pm   Reply with quote         

An idea that would make voting quicker and easier, from my standpoint, is bulk voting.

Here's the idea, btw I did a search and didn't see this mentioned soooo:

You have the normal listing page for contest entries with a checkbox beside or under each entry and a small textbox (scrolling to save on screen real estate) that would allow you to vote and/or comment on a bunch of entries at one time.
At the bottom or top of the page would be a submit button that would submit all your votes/comments at one time in a mass update.

You would be able to click the image to see the full entry page or just vote/comment right there on the listing page. For me, it seems alot of time is spent not voting on the image, but getting to the point where I can vote on what I want to vote for and then getting back to the list of entries where I originally was.

Ok, so that's my idea -- fire away! Cool

ScionShade

Post Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:17 pm   Reply with quote         

i see a lot of "apologys" from people who didn't like the thumbnail, and
never bothered to check the image--
you are talking about a thumbnail page right?

ScionShade

Post Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:28 pm   Reply with quote         

I put my speed voting technique in a thread somewhere-
I know some people who tried it loved it--
I'll try to find it and link here.
How to vote in just a couple miutes-- or as fast as you can plus whatever time you spend just staring at the chops Smile

http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2863&highlight=

Robaccomando

Post Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:30 pm   Reply with quote         

how about random voting?

You click on the "randomize" button and it distributes 25 votes randomly. Mr. Green

This is for the people who don't have time to vote on a particular contest. Wink

vunt van pumununt

Post Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:03 am   Reply with quote         

Robaccomando wrote:
how about random voting?

You click on the "randomize" button and it distributes 25 votes randomly. Mr. Green

This is for the people who don't have time to vote on a particular contest. Wink

Laughing Laughing great idea roba!

az: try scion's speed voting method! very handy. (or get a faster internet connection Laughing )

Post Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:34 am   Reply with quote         

Pensolvo -- I wouldn't ever suggest that someone vote based on just the user's name. Go back to sleep bud.

Roba -- Laughing Randomize.... Hey if nothing else, at lest that would bring voting up just a bit... lol

Scion -- I'm glad you found a workaround to the issue, but as a web developer if I hear that my customers are using workarounds to bypass a problem area on the site, then I want to concentrate on improving the problem area. From a developer standpoint, workarounds are OK, but only until a solution can be put in place that solves the problem that people are working around.

I see alot of people on here talking about how long it takes to vote for all entries and being fair to each one, etc. My suggestion could be a way to make the voting process go more quickly. It would be across the board, everyone would be able to use it (not just the ones who have heard of your technique and been able to follow directions enough to use it Wink).

Anyhoo, it's just a suggestion. JMH, take it or leave it. Smile

Post Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:45 am   Reply with quote         

As aw8pj so eloquently showed us, a picture is worth a thousand words....

And I also changed my voting checkboxes with one submit button to voting and comment buttons on each pic (also inspired by aw8pj's voting suggestion).

To more clearly show my idea.....

Shutting up now... Cool

HandToolUK

Post Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:00 am   Reply with quote         

Good idea... but what would make that even better for those of us with faster net connections would be to have an option to "view all" images at full size not just as thumbnails, which is how it used to be... Wink

Post Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:02 am   Reply with quote         

i think you are being very lazy, considering some of you spend hours making your posts, you cant spare 10 min's to look through all the other posts at full size and vote for them normaly, this is turning into, thumbnailcontest,com
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Hallcross Toots
billtvshow
Site Moderator

Post Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:16 am   Reply with quote         

I like to hear a fresh new idea, but voting based off of a highly compressed and small thumbnail is not fair to the artist who put a lot of work into making a crisp full size image. I have seen thumbnails that looked terrible, but the pic was fantastic and thumbnails that looked great, but the pic was not good at all. So in other words, I agree with splodge but with more of these: Cool Laughing Very Happy
vunt van pumununt

Post Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:10 am   Reply with quote         

have to agree w splodge & btvs on this one. look at this thumb for example:

terrible!!! But your checkbox layout chop you made is quit voteworthy! Wink

Post Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:40 pm   Reply with quote         

Geez guys..

I actually modified a copy of the HTML page to get it to look like that! C'mon gimme some love!

Seriously, I wasn't thinking that you would vote simply based on the thumbnail. Was thinking more along the lines of a popup window that would display the full size image, but then again your right there at the image anyway why not vote for it while you're looking at the fullsize image? Am I right?!

Ok, since this idea is going nowhere fast, why don't you just vote for my "chop" of the site? I haven't submitted a chop in a while and I could really use the boost in self confidence after this devastating blow to my creativity.. Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Razz Smile Very Happy Laughing

jmh132
Site Moderator

Post Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:09 pm   Reply with quote         

thanks for the idea, but this one is not going to happen.

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Bulk voting (?) - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.