Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Torn Tube Contest - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Showcase

Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:36 pm   Reply with quote         

UGH! ok...here goes...here's what I saw when I looked at the images you listed below...
Quote:
Yello Piggy: http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/87413/votes.html
Great intergration, and lighting, very crisp and a fun image.

You should have stopped at great intergration. the lighting and crispness was already there with the image he found.

Quote:
Blue Lukers: http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/87810/votes.html
top class creative thinking to achieve a fun and festive look. and with extra funnies if you look just a bot harder.

Best of the bunch, as near as I can tell, aside from Scion's which has to be a fluke considering its...well...Scion Wink

Quote:
Caldera: http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/87380/votes.html
Whether you think its easy or not, it does not detract from the brilliant job of texture matching and intergrating the source to produce a very fine overall image

I dont see ANY texture work, nevermind a "brilliant" job. They matched color, quiet nicely I might add, but still most can achieve this with a tiny bit of work.

Quote:
Merry Prankster: http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/87837/votes.html
A fun and lively image taking into account both light and dark issues, using the source image very well, and the polar bear works both as a point of comedy, but also a point of emotion, as it lays depressed on the pipe that the toxin spews

Fun and lively? I dont know. This on is on the edge for me...it looks like a good effort but some things seem to be lacking overall.

Quote:
Rash Dogs: http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/87778/votes.html
A superb working of both graphical and real imagery that have been bought together so very well. The style of this piece alone set it out against the rest.

agreed. I already said this.

Quote:
Eepi: http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/87864/votes.html
While simple it may look, it is both original and creative with the source image, a great perspective, and good grasp of Photoshop skills, and overall a fun piece.

You cant be serious. "Creative with the source image"? they used color and texture but none of the source image itself. Thats not creative. you can do that with ANY starting image. Should spend more time manipulation.

Quote:
Patre: http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/87793/votes.html
A heart-felt image that says far more to the viewer than the actual image itself suggests, it is a topical and truthful portrail of some of society today. Very good work, and great lighting to boot.

I'll be honest. I "like" Patre a lot. When I grow up, I hope I'm as kind and gentle as he genuinely seems here...but...BUT...that doesnt mean Im going to vote for every image he makes from the heart. I like his messages but this is a photoshop contest site. His lighting is a bit skewed as the far end of the columns are as bright as the guy in the end of the tube. I hope he keeps working and trying cuz I do think Patre has come a long way.

Quote:
Finnish Flash: http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/87856/votes.html
while many will just say this is a simple texture and external source sut and paste, I feel it is well lit, shows conviction of PS skills, and is really well themed. A beautiful image on the whole.

I dont know about this one really...I still think it is a well found photo and they just pasted the tube end onto the pipe end. Which would mean the "well lit and themed" is thanks to the photographer and NOT FF. Why should we reward him for that.

Most importantly, just what the hell does "conviction of PS skills" mean when you are describing an image???

Quote:
and there are more quality images, but I won't bore you with more andreasons why

you arent boring me. I like to know what others see when they look at an image. Thanks for the reply Marco.

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:52 pm   Reply with quote         

lol, fair enough, but I am never one to look at an image an think did this person do absolutely everything they could to get this result.

In fact we never truely know that with anyone.

I look and see one of several things, theme, work done, use of source, did it amuse me or spark any emotional response, improvement, originality.

I like to tell people what they have done well, and indeed what can be improved, if anyone needs help with something, I'm always willing to take time to do that too.

I respect the ones on here who only give several votes a comp if any at all, thats great, they are on a higher standard search.

But I tend to widen the parameters to allow for errors, not 10 foot wide ones Laughing but the odd mistake sure. Especially if the overall image is an ambitious project.

This site is truely one of the finest learning and competition sites around, and I hope it stays that way for a good while

oh and conviction of PS skills Laughing by that I meant FF had an idea, set about it, and worked on the chop until the final result we see was reached. simple really, i'll use smaller words next time Laughing

good thread this Show, nice one

Showcase

Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:02 pm   Reply with quote         

ok...thanks marco.

any other suggestions on what I should look at and why in the torn tube contest before I try and spend my votes?

Post Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:11 pm   Reply with quote         

hmmmm

Cowboys: http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/87827/votes.html

nice interesting theme, self taken external image, listened to corrective advice, overall solid entry

Jad3: http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/87858/votes.html

interesting and original theme, topical considering it was bonfire night here in UK on the 5th, overall good quality and attention to detail

yello_piggy

Post Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:34 am   Reply with quote         

what about founding an own photoshopcontest-site, for example "www.showcaseisthebestofall.com"?

marcoballistic

Post Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:48 am   Reply with quote         

hey I checked the web directories, and that site name is free, go for it Show Laughing

yello_piggy

Post Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:02 am   Reply with quote         

see ...! further suggestions for your new site on demand Mr. Green

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:43 am   Reply with quote         

dwhitmire's "Torn Calvins" is a pretty good one. Great imagination and use of source. Not flawless but a very ambitious and well done chop.

Showcase

Post Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:19 am   Reply with quote         

yello_piggy wrote:
what about founding an own photoshopcontest-site, for example "www.showcaseisthebestofall.com"?

HA!. If only I were the best...but no thanks. its more fun here where I can be a mentor to you guys.

Post Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:25 am   Reply with quote         

Showcase wrote:
...its more fun here where I can be a mentor to you guys.

Was that supposed to be 'mentor' or 'tormentor'? Wink

Seriously though - I can't really comment yet as I've been away from PSC a lot lately and not voting much (tsk tsk! BAD HT! Confused ) - but I like these kind of threads. They encourage me to look more closely at peoples' work and give me a perspective on what other people look for and/or find attractive or off-putting in others' work... Smile

After reading all these comments, I must make a point of using my votes for that torn tube contest now... Exclamation

Showcase

Post Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:42 am   Reply with quote         

well, at least you get it HTUK. thanks. It really was my objective. If you'll notice...as much as I like to debate what makes a good psc contest entry...I tried to steer clear...as best I could Rolling Eyes Very Happy

It did the same for me as it did for you. I was even shown a few that I hadnt seen before.
I wish more people would get involved with these threads.

tormentor, mentor? I dont know. maybe Im mixed up. either way, its my little bit of fun each day Razz

Post Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:37 pm   Reply with quote         

Aww case we still love ya mate...

Showcase

Post Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:55 pm   Reply with quote         

Im not looking for love Blueker...I get that from Nancers Wink
Im simply looking for good contest images and people that treat the contests like a contest...and before you all go crazy...I mean a fun, friendly contest where the best man, mate, boy, girl, lady lass, whore, gigalo, etc. can play along.

Post Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:23 pm   Reply with quote         

ha! gigalo! Thanks for including me! Razz

blue_lurker

Post Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:14 pm   Reply with quote         

No I mean it Case...I still love ya...ya big girly guy you Razz

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Torn Tube Contest - Reply to topic