Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - How can I create an ICON? - Reply to topic

Hanzeeg72

Post Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:06 pm   Reply with quote         

Sorry for my long term disappearance from the PSC scene. My job has taken a turn for the busier and I no longer have the time to chop for fun, only for profit.

Can anyone out there recommend an Icon program? I need to make Icons (.ico extension) for my webmaster at work, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it using any Adobe products.

Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?

- Hanzeeg
( ps- I don't care what the Pope says about her, I still love Nancers! Hug )

arcaico

Post Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:28 pm   Reply with quote         

save the icon as a .bmp then rename it to .ico
or download microangelo http://www.microangelo.us/

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

deshone

Post Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:12 pm   Reply with quote         

you can't create an icon ... you have to become an icon ... it's not for everybody

Brent

Post Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:30 pm   Reply with quote         

you can download a plugin for photoshop...

Showcase

Post Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:25 pm   Reply with quote         

...beeeee the icon!

Take the icon from my hand, grasshopper.

Post Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:40 pm   Reply with quote         

deshone wrote:
you can't create an icon ... you have to become an icon ... it's not for everybody

Shocked

D3adkl0wn

Post Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:07 pm   Reply with quote         

microangelo ios the easiest one i've seen in a while... i think that there is a stardock icon maker too

MDonoughe

Post Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:42 pm   Reply with quote         

I used to use @icon sushi. You do not want to save it as a BMP, because BMPs don't support alpha transparency(high color icons in XP do), and Windows is inconsistent in its icon rendering code such that some programs will show them as transparent, and some will show them with a colored background.

Hanzeeg72

Post Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:50 pm   Reply with quote         

hmmmm. Interesting.

I tried the PS plugin. It allowed me to save as an ICO if I converted the file to Index color from RGB. I still have trouble opening other icons. Even changing their extension didn't help. I don't have much patientce for drawing icons pixel by pixel like Microangelo. I tried that a couple years ago as a free trial. I never really got it to work the way I wanted it to.

I just want to use a company logo in an Icon so that when someone creates a shortcut, the icon goes with it.

Knowhadimean?

I'll keep trying. Doh!

MDonoughe

Post Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:09 pm   Reply with quote         

ICO files store multiple images, so the PS plugin probably makes very basic icons. You want to have 16x16, 22x22, 32x32, 48x48, and maybe 64x64 for Windows icons, and have 256 color, 24 bit, and 32 bit versions. You might skip 32 bit on the lower resolutions. The easiest way to do it is make the icon a large size in the GIMP(Photoshop or whatever) and then save it as a PNG and import it into @icon sushi or any other PNG supporting icon program. You will want to save one version with and one version without alpha transparency. There is a slight quality gain if you scale the image in the GIMP(or Photoshop). Using vector images will produce crisp looking icons, but may require more work.

Open some existing icons and extract the different sizes and color depths to see how the ICO files work.

I could maybe make a tutorial showing how to make icons on Linux, Macintosh, and Windows using only free tools if there is enough demand for such a thing. You would be able to follow with Photoshop since I assume you know how to save files in different formats and scale them.

D3adkl0wn

Post Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:25 pm   Reply with quote         

you don't need to draw pixel by pixel, you can import images into microangelo, and it will make them into an icon

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - How can I create an ICON? - Reply to topic