Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Featured Pic - Chopper's block? - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Do you get "Chopper's Block"

No, I am an ever flowing fountain of creativity!

28%

28%

[ 13 ]

Yes but it passes like gas

22%

22%

[ 10 ]

Rarely but when I do it sticks around for weeks

26%

26%

[ 12 ]

You're in a rut. Snap out of it dipstick!

22%

22%

[ 10 ]

Total Votes: 45

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:40 am   Reply with quote         

I'm sure that the topic has been brought up in the past (in fact I think I started a similar thread) but I'm doing it again.

See I have a massive creativity block. I haven't chopped at all in almost a month! The last contest I entered was "Mirror Finish" in mid-December! I've been looking at the upcoming contests and almost NOTHING comes to mind. Nothing funny, nothing to transform, nada. The closest I came was I too saw a frog for the "Head Lamp" contest (don't know if that's a good or bad sign).

I've been trying to think of what could have caused this blockage. I have a boring job as a computer programmer so I don't think that helps. I have limited software (compared to the power that is in PS) so it gets frustrating to chop and I don't think that helps either.

I need advice on how to get past this state of dulled senses. What do all of you do when you get chopper's block? How do you get the creative juices flowing? Do you massively talented artist-types have mental exercises that you do to give your creativity a kick-start?

Help? [whimper]

vunt van pumununt

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:55 am   Reply with quote         

drugs

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:00 pm   Reply with quote         

Better drugs than Vunt...

vunt van pumununt

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:09 pm   Reply with quote         

you've been talking to my wife haven't you Blue?

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:15 pm   Reply with quote         

first of all software: get yourself the JASC paintshop pro 9 demo (or that sucky PS Wink) and the crack and your ready to go!! (i don't do this of course, it's illegal, but hypothetically speaking it is an option)

secondly, Choppers Block: one thing that helps (me) is chopping on command. If you can’t think of anything, someone else can. If you commit to an assignment someone else gives you, I often find that when you have to ‘make do’ with what you have, you constrain your imagination to something very specific which is totally different to using your imagination on limitless possibilities. You’ll approach a chop in a totally different manner. A good side effect of this method is that working on command gives you motivation to work for yourself, and this motivation brings ideas!

I’ll be happy to give you an assignment!

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:25 pm   Reply with quote         

I've had chopper's block for about 4 months now - I've even let my Advantage account go.

I'm starting to notice women again... Wink

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:38 pm   Reply with quote         

Ah-ha. Good man, Reinman!!! Very Happy

blue_lurker

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:41 pm   Reply with quote         

Um Rein dude...Um...mate...there called Moose's...I told you before...men have dingle damgles...women have fun bags...and moose's have horns...remember...now go and color in the special book I got you...off you go...go on then...and remember to stay with in the lines...

mikey

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:16 pm   Reply with quote         

You've got to pray for idea's from the divine formless invisible creative substance of wisdom knowledge and mighty universal imagination! Cool
That's how I get idea's Wink seriously though" I look at the source then wait for an idea to pop into my head Rolling Eyes usually it has something to do with something I see in the source" its like when you look at a cloud and see shapes in it" or you may see the shape of a face in a rock" Shocked Another way I do it is to flip the source upside down" and see what comes to mind" or change the color hue and try to get idea's with that" also cut pieces out of the source and see if you can paste together something interesting" also, use filters" twirl, distort, polar coordinates" (if you have photoshop) otherwise try other techniques with whatever software you have" But my best advice is to Pray, pray, pray" but no to beelzebub! Twisted Evil Laughing

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:17 pm   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
I've had chopper's block for about 4 months now - I've even let my Advantage account go.

I'm starting to notice women again... Wink

How do you Canadians tell the women from the men if everyone's wearing flannel coats and ear flap hats? At least that's the image we Americans have of Canadians. Laughing

But this version of Canadian women is better

rashdog
Site Moderator

Post Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:31 pm   Reply with quote         

tofu...I found the tips on occeid's website to have been particularly useful for getting ideas...he has some great examples...located here:
http://www.geekologist.com/

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:24 am   Reply with quote         

Dear Mr. Rash,

That link is terrific. His tips for Photoshopcontest should be linked or listed here under FAQ. Truly fantastic. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Queen La Tiff

Post Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:56 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey! As a painter, I've struggled with "creative block" on more than a few occassions. There's this book called "Drawing on the Artist Within" by the same woman who wrote "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" damn, can't remember her name...Betty Evans? Betty Edwards? I think it's Edwards. Anyhow. The book is about how to loosen any creative block, and get the right brain working again. And it's not just theory, there are specific things you can do to shift a creative block. Here's one that works for me:

Get a piece of paper and a pen. Choose an object in the room to be your subject of focus. Put the tip of the pen on the paper, and stare at your subject for a couple of minutes without looking at the paper or anything else. The goal is to be able to "feel" the nib of your pen touching the outside edge of your subject. When you feel that happen, move your eye along the edge of the object, without looking at the paper, and let your pen follow the same route your eye is taking. You trace your vision along your object, and the pen follows the same path on the paper. You never look at the paper. What ends up on the paper is irrelevant. This exercise is called a "blind contour drawing" and it kind of "tricks" your right brain into waking up. The whole thing should take between 3-10 minutes, including the time you're staring at the object before the pen moves. It absolutely works. I've found that choosing the hand not holding the pen for my object is very effective. After doing this exercise a few times, you will literally be able to feel the "switchover" in your brain, as the right brain takes over.

Tofu, you must be a very analytical person by nature. People prone to logical, reasonable thinking are at big risk for creative block. Your left brain (the rational side) is just yelling too loudly for your right brain (the creative side) to get a word in edgewise. The trick isn't to get the right brain active...it's always active. The trick is to get the left brain to shut the hell up for five seconds, so the right brain can be heard.

That "Drawing on the Artist Within" book is full of those kinds of exercises. Not to be crass, but did you ever hear talk of women who had never experienced the, er, "big O?" The experts always say, "You're trying too hard. Just stop thinking about it and then it'll happen."

Same type of thing with creative block.

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:31 pm   Reply with quote         

QLT thank you so much for the practical tip (and pointers to the books)!

This type of advice/exercise is EXACTLY what I think I was looking for. I will definitely give this a shot.

And yes I am a very analytical person. I can't help it. It comes with the job I guess. I'll bet that's why I'm so picky with my votes too.

Now if I could just get the mental image of women getting to the big "O" out of my head....

ReinMan

Post Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:48 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey! I just noticed that a little red & white truck brings mail to our building... this is getting MORE interesting!

(*continues to stare from window in blissful state*)

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Featured Pic - Chopper's block? - Reply to topic