Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Dire warning about burned CDs - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ReinMan

Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:06 pm   Reply with quote         

You stealing my licks, dude? Razz

Queen La Tiff

Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:09 pm   Reply with quote         

Next month, there is supposedly going to be a big drop in outside storage device pricing, and a big jump in quality. I saw one of those backup harddrives at Staples recently...300 gigs for 200 bucks U.S. The problem with these is apparently the casing...it's shoddy or not worth it or something, and your data is going to be at just as much risk.

Those little flash devices are nice, but they're so expensive versus the storage space you get! These are apparently going to become much better in both price and storage capacity sometime in February, according to my husband.

I'm a corn dog, but I sort of go through and re-burn older discs after a year or two. I save the old ones, just to see how long before they really don't work. I've got some cheap-ass discs that are almost ten years old, I wrote on 'em with marker and everything, and they still work fine.

My "final solution" to this problem is to get a custom pc built that has an extra hard-drive within the tower, and that drive isn't hooked up to the interweb in any way. It's taking longer than planned, but will hopefully be worth it.

By the by...I'm saving some dough by getting the components for this pc individually and then having my husband and his genius geeky friend put it together...therefore I want to spend what I saved on a super-sweet monitor. Suggestions?

AtHeaMo

Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:29 pm   Reply with quote         

And it gets more frightening as we post - read this:

"When the sun has fused all of the hydrogen atoms into helium atoms
it will be finished. It would then start to cool and expand. Unfortunately
we think it would expand out beyond earth's orbit. We would be cooked."

Shocked

Damnit!... so much for keeping my burned cd's in a cool place.....

Sad

HandToolUK

Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:50 pm   Reply with quote         

billtvshow wrote:
I like it when stuff goes tits up.
I'm sorry that was more of a Reinman comment. Confused Razz

ReinMan wrote:
You stealing my licks, dude? Razz

What's all this about tits and licking? C'mon gents, In view of recent forum comments, aren't we supposed to be keeping things "PG13" here? Laughing

(Whatever that is! Razz )

Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:04 pm   Reply with quote         

Hmm...I have several audio cd's that I have used over 5 years that are still in next to perfect condition. I dont store them anywhere special, either. I always make copies of audio cds I buy and use the copies, while keeping the originals safe in my safe.

Whats really bizarre is today I was wondering if original cds are laser-written or pressed. Guess this answers my question. What an odd coincidence...

Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:51 pm   Reply with quote         

I read this on Reuters' site:

Quote:
You are all going to die.

Sad Sad Sad

ScionShade

Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:54 pm   Reply with quote         

I had several cd's of old images that i had saved
several years ago, last X-mas when I wanted to clean them all up and send out for printing--now that I had aquired some skill at fixing up vga quality digital images, well
the cd's read as full, and yet there were no files there at all.
I gues this explains it. not cool.

Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:48 pm   Reply with quote         

maybe you just don't know how to burn cd's properly...I could be wrong. Wink

Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:40 am   Reply with quote         

mason4300 wrote:
maybe you just don't know how to burn cd's properly...I could be wrong. Wink

Laughing - you'd better be ready to duck the "Scion fist of fury" now... Razz

(Or should that be the "Scion spinning disks of death"?)

Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:02 am   Reply with quote         

ah, I could use a good tussle right now...bring it on! Laughing

Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:57 am   Reply with quote         

I first remember the cd burners coming around in 99. It's 2006, shouldn't we have heard about this by now?

HandToolUK

Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:57 am   Reply with quote         

MoLinKo wrote:
I first remember the cd burners coming around in 99. It's 2006, shouldn't we have heard about this by now?

Well some of us already had! Razz

Besides which - look how long magnetic tape, discs, cylinders and other more old-fashioned forms of data storage have lasted. Around twenty years or even more in many cases. Of course in many of those cases the quality has degraded and has to be restored and enhanced, but the original material is at least accessible.

Not to mention paper and parchment lasting anything from a couple of decades to several centuries...! So put against that, having CDs around that might date from 1999 is hardly an indication of real reliability.

The question is, will CDs (and DVDs and other forms of storage) last that long, both in terms of the data integrity, and in terms of having the hardware that is backward-compatible enough to read them? Almost certainly not.

Of course, as time goes by and technology develops, storage systems become more reliable and recopying large amounts of data is a lot less tedious and difficult that it used to be, but on the flip-side of that, a great deal more vital information is stored and processed electronically than ever before and increasingly, much of it is held in electronic form only, thus increasing the negative impact that could be caused in the event that the data is lost.

ReinMan

Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:01 pm   Reply with quote         

DO THIS AND YOU'LL BE ALRIGHT!

AtHeaMo

Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:48 pm   Reply with quote         

Quote:
the "Scion fist of fury"

Shocked

Remember: pg13 Tool!!!!!

Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:04 pm   Reply with quote         

Reinman, you should know that chiseling vital information into stone is a very bad idea. What happens when the acid rain comes? Very Happy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Dire warning about burned CDs - Reply to topic