Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Uh-oh another idea - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Are you in favor of the PM button being added to the dailies?

Yes

50%

50%

[ 7 ]

No

28%

28%

[ 4 ]

Don't care either way

21%

21%

[ 3 ]

Total Votes: 14

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:37 pm   Reply with quote         

How about adding the PM button to the daily entries. Lately there have been a lot of people wanting the .psd for a chop. It'd be nice to just click the button right from the chop.

Heck it'd be really cool if that opened up in a small pop-up so that you don't even have to leave the chop.

Just a thought.

Edit: Added the poll so that jmh could see if this was a favorable addition or not (even though it's ultimately his choice either way).

Edit 2: (Pulled from a later reply)
Below is an example of what I'm thinking of. I added the portfolio button as many like to look at the portfolios to see if the chopper is improving. But the PM button would open a small popup to create/send the PM. I say a popup as I use the "prev" and "next" links to browse through the contests. This way, after sending a PM for the .psd or whatever, I don't have to make my way back to where I was to continue as I'm already there.

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:07 pm   Reply with quote         

I concur.

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:57 pm   Reply with quote         

that would save just one click, once you just have to click the name to go to the profile, where there is as PM button...

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:19 pm   Reply with quote         

Yes, but we are all very lazy, and think of how much wear and tear we would save on ourselves and our mice by eliminating that one click! Wink

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:29 pm   Reply with quote         

Solution : a "Send PM requesting .psd file" button; one click, no typing involved.

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:48 pm   Reply with quote         

now there is a good idea! maybe you can even make it where you just type in the name of the .psd and it will automatically pull it off of the other user's pc for you, so you dont even have to bother the other person! Laughing

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:49 pm   Reply with quote         

Arc you bring up a good point but my counter point is why have the buttons in the forum then? You can click the person's name in the forum and then the PM. So why not have it in the dailies too?

arcaico

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:47 am   Reply with quote         

well, can you imagine an entry with 50+ buttons and comments, or even with avatars in a forum like way, but in a single page?

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:37 am   Reply with quote         

not everyone who votes or comments would have a pm button for themselves, only the artist would have a pm button so that everyone else could pm him/her for info.

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:17 am   Reply with quote         

mason4300 wrote:
not everyone who votes or comments would have a pm button for themselves, only the artist would have a pm button so that everyone else could pm him/her for info.

Exactly Mason! Here arc. Below is an example of what I'm thinking of. I added the portfolio button as many like to look at the portfolios to see if the chopper is improving. But the PM button would open a small popup to create/send the PM. I say a popup as I use the "prev" and "next" links to browse through the contests. This way, after sending a PM for the .psd or whatever, I don't have to make my way back to where I was to continue as I'm already there.

arcaico

Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:59 am   Reply with quote         

hmmm... I thought it was the other way... yeah, that looks clean... even though I doubt it will change...

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

Showcase

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:39 pm   Reply with quote         

if I ever get an automated PM to send someone a PSD I created during hours of blood sweat and tears...I will laugh...like this...

HA HA HA!

...and then say, "No"

The PM button isnt a bad idea I just wonder how often it would get used.
Do people really spend that much time pming about one image or another? I dont know, other than a "Hey, I voted for you, did you see mine?" pm, Im not sure what else goes on.

hmmmmmm......

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:32 pm   Reply with quote         

Showcase wrote:
The PM button isnt a bad idea I just wonder how often it would get used. Do people really spend that much time pming about one image or another? I dont know, other than a "Hey, I voted for you, did you see mine?" pm, Im not sure what else goes on.

I wouldn't want an automated button at all. I want one that allows me to write an actual message in case I have a question but don't want the .psd file.

As for how much it'd be used you should chop more Show! When you do it's good but it's way too rare of an event.

Showcase

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:20 pm   Reply with quote         

I guess I figgered that anything I wanted to say about an image was either done via the vote comment or the comment...errr...comment. thats all.

give me an example of a PM you might send after viewing someone's chop in a contest...just so I know the type of communication we're talking about.

you know...if we get a PM button there, next thin Unlimitedhorizen will suggest is doing away with contest entry comments since we have a PM button there now Wink
kidingggggg Zen, just kidding.

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:32 pm   Reply with quote         

Showcase wrote:
give me an example of a PM you might send after viewing someone's chop in a contest...just so I know the type of communication we're talking about.

Any question that would take more characters than the comment allows. Also if the response would be longer than a comment would allow.

For instance sending a step-by-step of how to do something you see in a chop. There's only so much that can be said in 255 characters (actually something like 248 with that truncation bug).

And I can see the response coming "just used multiple comments". What about if someone else adds a comment before the next part of your comment gets posted? The continuity of the question/response is broken.

Oh! Another time would be after the contest is closed for comments! I browse through past contests all the time and see stuff that baffles me (hey I'm new to chopping). It'd be nice to have a quick method of contacting the creator of the chop.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Uh-oh another idea - Reply to topic