Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Favorite Theme? Hmmmmm? - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

What's Your Favorite Type of Image?

Humorous

30%

30%

[ 7 ]

Fantasy

13%

13%

[ 3 ]

Realism

56%

56%

[ 13 ]

Total Votes: 23

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:32 pm   Reply with quote         

FUN POLL TIME... Very Happy

Loved reading Blue Lurker's interviews and what these great choppers like to do & what their favorite themes are. I've noticed A LOT of newcomers lately and thought they might benefit from knowing what PSCers look for in images.

You can help them by answering this poll.

(Plus I'm really bored and there's nothing on TV now, and my kid's bugging me so I'm using this as an all time escape mechanism.)

Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:36 pm   Reply with quote         

I really like all of the above, but I love seeing how realistic people can make chops, because its just amazing. But, yes, I still like the others. Although, I don't like chops that rely purely on humor to get their votes. If its high quality plus has humor, kudos to that person. But if its a horrible chop, and only has humor going for it, I usually dont vote for it.

Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:42 pm   Reply with quote         

Mason, realistic people as opposed to ??????
Do you know something about this place that I don't?

Just curious Very Happy

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:55 pm   Reply with quote         

I'd have to put them in order:

1. Realism. I think that because it's what I'm trying to learn to do so that's what I like to see. Personally I think realism is the hardest thing to achieve as the human eye is great at picking out something that doesn't look right.

1.1. Humorous. btvs's entries crack me up. I still smile at "Kentucky Feathered Pigeon"'s tagline of "It's just easier this way". This place is about fun so the fun pics are awesome.

2. Stylish. You know how you can look at a chop and just know that it's a chop because of the way the pic looks? I don't know how to explain it. But I guess the entries from arcacio and anfa for "Colorful Strings" are good examples. They're not photo realistic but they're not sloppy either. BTVS's "Hannibal's Revenge" is a good example of what I'm referring to as well.

Good poll and thread eve!

Goat1981

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:32 am   Reply with quote         

I like all three as long as the quality is there. Smile I love a good quality humerous chop, though; so "humerous" gets my choice.

arcaico

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:50 am   Reply with quote         

realism is good... but some people get fooled easily... for instance, I was checking the link eve posted in the nut entry.... the entry looks very realistic... in fact it is very relistic, once it's a stock image... call me jealous if ya want... I don't care... but fact is that the only realistic portion in there is what wasn't chopped... if ya look closely, there are at least 4 light sources in the chopped portion... and all 4 contradictory... like if each light source affected only some parts of the nutshell... but once the rest of the image is attractive (the outside source), people look at it and say WOW... it's something I won't understand... yeah, it fits, whatever... but when I say I like realism is a chop, I mean in a CHOP, not in the external source... joining sources and make them fit the same reality is what I like. Just take a look at some desh and alex's entries and you'll know what I mean... anyway, just my 2 cents...

ps eve, you're hot!

Rolling Eyes

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:14 am   Reply with quote         

I think what Arc's referring to is the Chew Toy contest and the entry Horse Chestnut. The image is truly delicious; a fine, skillful chop.

And here lies the interest in beginning this thread and getting valuable feedback from our members. Some here have more discerning eyes than others--some ideas are so creative no one else would've thought of them, some are hilarious/outrageous/gorgeous, some sad/happy/disconcerting, some political/whimsical/mechanical...yet ALL are reasons we are drawn--like moths to fire--to see what each day's choppers will bring to the table and share with one another.

(Ok, Mikey, got a moths to fire gif?) Very Happy

arcaico

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:24 am   Reply with quote         

no comment on my ps eve?? Very Happy

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:33 am   Reply with quote         

please refer to PM Embarassed

anfa

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:41 am   Reply with quote         

All of the above.

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:21 am   Reply with quote         

arcaico wrote:
I was checking eve. call me jealous if ya want... I don't care... but fact is that.. eve, you're hot! Rolling Eyes

Yeah what arc said! Razz

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:30 am   Reply with quote         

Eve wrote:
Mason, realistic people as opposed to ??????
Do you know something about this place that I don't?

Just curious Very Happy

Not realistic people, realistic chops. I can see how you interpreted it that way, but I am saying I like to see how good of a realistic chop people can make. Laughing

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:33 am   Reply with quote         

By the way, Arcaico made a good point. it drives me nuts when a chop wins because the source looks great, and not necessarily the chopped part itself. NOOBS and NEWCOMERS!!!; Don't do that! Very Happy

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:09 pm   Reply with quote         

I love humor...but humor done in a realistic way is the best. I don't particularily like realistic chops because it is too difficult to determine what is actually chopped unless the poster links to the source images used. I do realistic for a living and the realistic images that I have posted for contests here just don't do very well. In my opinion, it takes too long to do realistic without some sort of twist like having a humorous edge to it. Here are a couple of examples of realistc that didn't do well as compared to other types of chops.
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/83605/next-victim.html#
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/65121/display.html

I also love fantasy images. I have done several for contests here and they are fun to do...but unless they are done in a very realistic way then they are not worth doing. Here are two of my favorites that I did many many many moons ago.
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/32284/display.html#
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/27131/display.html#

I guess the absolute best image would be a humorous fantasy image done in a realistic way. Very Happy

Jerry

Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:40 pm   Reply with quote         

You are totally right about the "realism with a twist" part, Jerry. I noticed that unless the chop is amazingly realistic, it doesn't get as many votes that you'd think the skill in making it would warrant. I always try to make my realism chops have a little humor, or story in it; In fact, my chop for tomorrow demonstrates just that!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Favorite Theme? Hmmmmm? - Reply to topic