Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Gatherings and Meetings - Monitor tips - Reply to topic

Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:22 pm   Reply with quote         

I have been able to look at my entries and other works with a few different styles of monitors over the past couple of weeks, and I have noticed that while some of them look fine, others are horrible, not because of my work, but because they might be reeeally bright, and some details stand out that I cannot see with my monitor. In fact, on the banner I made for me and DoaC for our team, I noticed a big chunk of something that shouldn't be there, but I cant even see it with my monitor. I know that this problem definately influences people on how they vote, b/c what I might see as great, looks terrible to someone else b/c of monitor differences. I just wanted to know if there is a way to minimize this problem, short of going out and buying a $1200 flatscreen. Confused

Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:29 pm   Reply with quote         

great question mason... I ran into a similar thing this weekend. I was showing off my stuff to a friend on his computer, and noticed that my color was soooo off, and you could see artifacts that I had no idea were there.... (owl entry) It took me by suprise. and ended up redoing all of my entries for the week while also re-calibrating my work monitor.... I really dont know how to fix this. just wanted to share a similar experience... I hope someone can however enlighten us Laughing

Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:38 pm   Reply with quote         

I have two monitors-one reads dark and the other light. I create the image on the computer that hides flaws etc in the dark. Then I review the image on the computer that brings everything into the light. I do my best to make sure that ithe image looks clean on the monitor that exposes the flaws before I submit it to the PSC site.

Netwel

Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:44 pm   Reply with quote         

Don't expect me to answer this. I experience exactly the same probleem. I have two monitors connected to my machine and they both suck bigtime. One is always too dark, and at the other and it looks a bit like the green branches off to the left.
Sean, what did you do to recalibrate?

Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:59 pm   Reply with quote         

Hallcross Toots

Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:28 pm   Reply with quote         

Splodge to the rescue! Very Happy heh, for me, its not so much that my monitors need to be recalibrated (I, too, have 2 monitors that suck bigtime) just that they are horrible. I'll do it though, just in case it helps at all. I trust you since you introduced me to CrapCleaner.

Location: Melbourne, Australian Continent, Earth, Sector 001, United Federation of Planets, Alpha Quadrant.

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:31 am   Reply with quote         

Good Monitor tips: - TURN OFF your monitor if you are planning to download large files (movies/games/tv shows/software etc) during the night time. It saves energy and electricity costs! Laughing Very Happy

TheShaman

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:11 am   Reply with quote         

Netwel wrote:

Sean, what did you do to recalibrate?

I have this at work.... forgive me father, it has been a few months since my last calibration Laughing

http://www.chromix.com/ColorGear/Shop/Productdetail.cxsa?toolid=1119

Its not a bad little calibrator. not the best, but still good.

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:34 pm   Reply with quote         

TheShaman

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:29 pm   Reply with quote         

someone in the office just suggested this low cost-easy to do option...

Laughing

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:47 pm   Reply with quote         

Another idea Cool

Queen La Tiff

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:03 am   Reply with quote         

I just got a new monitor...makes all the difference--not that you can see it in my work. I got a Daewoo International L1711MN monitor...it's "pure digital" whatever that means, my husband picked it out. It's pretty freakin' sweet for the money though, 17" screen--paid about $205 for it, I gather...and it's super-sweet. It's got a DVI port, so I guess that's good. But my husband likes to research things into the ground...so you can bet this is a good one for the money...

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:14 am   Reply with quote         

damn you all! can't you read?! Evil or Very Mad I said "I just wanted to know if there is a way to minimize this problem, short of going out and buying a $1200 flatscreen."

lol just kidding Laughing although, you make me feel very poor. Crying or Very sad Wink

great, I'm using 50 smileys like mikey does now. look what you're making me do! Laughing Wink dang it! stop that!

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:16 pm   Reply with quote         

If you have Photoshop then in Control Panel you have Adobe Gamma Question

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:32 pm   Reply with quote         

ah, that definately changed it, now I can see a lot more detail in my Raven chop. I can see why some wouldn't vote for it. Crying or Very sad Well, it looked good to me...

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Gatherings and Meetings - Monitor tips - Reply to topic