Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Featured Pic - your view, literally! - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

jefflang007

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:09 pm   Reply with quote         

Ok, this isn’t sour grapes I just need some one to offer up a reason for my thinking
and it is definitely not whoring as I want mine and all other chops to be voted for on merit.
My chop, excluding the competition element today I feel, is one of my better works.
I will use nancers me and askerai for my example.
Nancers’ chop it fantastic…she has had, at the time of this post, 318 views.
I have had 99 views (I pre posted so we were up at the same time)
askerai has had 68 views.
When you look at askerai’s and my thumbnail I feel they are both worthy of a closer look, as is nancers. Why then would nancers have soooooo many more views? Is this perhaps a popularity contest? and nancers please take no offence to this.
nancers has had 318 views and 43 votes = 13.5% of viewers voted for her.
askerai has had 68 views and 16 votes = 23.5% of viewers voted for him.
jefflang007 has had 99 views and 22 votes = 22.2% of viewers voted for me.

anywho, I just find this interesting.

http://www.langmark.com
MoLinKo

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:24 pm   Reply with quote         

I think many of the views come from return members looking at the top entries several times and guests to the site who only look at the top entries. It would be nice if the counter only counted the members who visited the page. Then you would know how many members visited with and without voting.

Is there anyway for the counter to only count an IP Address once? It seems like this topic comes up faily often, Views vs. Votes

mrwolf707

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:26 pm   Reply with quote         

jefflang007 wrote:
... Is this perhaps a popularity contest? ...

I am not denying that popularity has an influence on the number of views, but I am still fairly new to this site. I don't know anybody (except Tofu), yet, I go back and look at the top 5 or 6 at least 5 times a day if not more, adding 5 or more extra views. I try to study what they are doing to get in the top 5/6, looking at their creativity and style, and how I can improve my own chops. I do go through all of them at least once for voting purposes, but the best are always going to get more views.

mikey

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:27 pm   Reply with quote         

Yes Jeff it is a popularity contest! it's obvious" it's like a chain reaction, if you start out getting a lot of votes and your name is well known, all the friends come out of the woodwork to vote, even people that dont even post here vote for their buddy's, but they wont vote for anyone else Shocked thats my opinion on the subject Cool another thing that happens is if someone well known votes for you, and certain people see that they voted for you" they say to themselves, hmmm, it must be good if so and so voted for it, so I will vote for it too" Wink or is everything I just said hogwash! Laughing

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:29 pm   Reply with quote         

Ah, good. let me ask this, since it sort of has to do with what you're talking about. What, exactly, is not appealing for my Cat Bath chop? I thought it looked great, it was a lot of work, and I can't see any flaws. Now, I'm not asking to be in first place, but why would it have less votes than my worst chops?! I feel that it at least deserves more than the crap I did when I first joined. sometimes i'm just at a loss... Confused
And yes, Mikey, you pretty much have it down. Laughing

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:35 pm   Reply with quote         

mason4300 wrote:
Ah, good. let me ask this, since it sort of has to do with what you're talking about. What, exactly, is not appealing for my Cat Bath chop? I thought it looked great, it was a lot of work, and I can't see any flaws. Now, I'm not asking to be in first place, but why would it have less votes than my worst chops?! I feel that it at least deserves more than the crap I did when I first joined. sometimes i'm just at a loss... Confused
And yes, Mikey, you pretty much have it down. Laughing

You need a PSC Celebrity to vote for it

Quote:
if someone well known votes for you, and certain people see that they voted for you" they say to themselves, hmmm, it must be good if so and so voted for it, so I will vote for it too"

Mason,

Why no entry for today???

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:03 pm   Reply with quote         

thanks to my maniacal demented teachers and their love of assigning 5 things of homework a day, and having eight teachers doing this, thats about 40 homework assignments I had to work on all week, so sadly, I didn't have the time to finish my chop for today.

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:11 pm   Reply with quote         

Gee Jeff, I'm having a difficult time feeling sorry for you and not getting enough views when mine's sitting BELOW the "mo and jo" entry by someone named Chicken.

Apparently, he's hilarious and all the work and time that I, among many others, put in on our chops and looked forward to this contest have been wasted and in fact ridiculed.

I've lost respect for so many today.

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:40 pm   Reply with quote         

I have actually tested this topic.

I have posted under another name here, posibbly more than one other name here that I won't mention. At the time of the posts, nobody here knew that it was me, yet I averaged around the same amout of votes that I normally got then, and maybe even more votes than I normally get with my volkswes name and I even got a win under one of the names.

That is the whole reason I tested it. I thought I was getting lots of friendly votes, but after I tried it, I decided that most weren't popular or friendly votes.
The topic of it being a popularity contest has come up way too many times, and without any proof. Yet I have proof that you can win under a name that is completely unknown.

I don't deny that name recognition may affect some of the voters but, alot of that is because the recognized names such as nancers, deshone, dewking, arcaico, anfa, alex marco, claf, supa, billtv, yerpal and so many others, have a record of producing wonderful quality posts. Many of the other members as well as guests know what kind of works they produce, and probably say to theirselves, "I GOTTA SEE WHAT KIND OF COOL IDEA SO AND SO CAME UP WITH!"

If you don't believe it, fine, I don't really care, because I can always become a newbie again and still get votes and possibly more wins.

I'm honestly not trying to be cocky about this, just telling it how I think it is.

HAVE FUN is the most important thing.
This message is not intended for any one person, but for everyone here.

Wesley

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:50 pm   Reply with quote         

Poo!

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:51 pm   Reply with quote         

What? you're not popular, so that wouldn't work! Wink

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:58 pm   Reply with quote         

volkswes, fair enough..still you cant compare 500 views to 90.

you are welcome to your opinion.

As i have said before,
I am still a huge fan of the no named post.

Love you all.

http://www.langmark.com

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:02 pm   Reply with quote         

The night is still young though.

Quote:
What? you're not popular, so that wouldn't work!

True, but I used to be a regular and semi-popular..............or atleast that's what I told myself Confused

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:42 pm   Reply with quote         

I think the voters usually get the first place pick correct (except when they voted the blown out candle ahead ok Koma's ring that one contest >_>)

I'm usually kind of in agreement for 2nd and 3rd. Once it gets past that, my view of what's good and the majority's view differs drastically.

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:44 pm   Reply with quote         

After being accused to receiving more than my fair share of votes based on name recognition, I did the same thing Wes did and posted a pic anonymously. It won and received my highest vote total for any post up to that time. While I won't argue that established member's posts draw more attention than newbies, it should also be noted that a very popular former member used to complain that he didn't receive enough votes because people held him to a higher standard. So, the end result is that you should post for the fun of it and quit worrying about about votes. People like Nancers didn't start winning contests immediately. She spent months improving her style and technique, and built a fan-base in the process. It's the only tried and true way to increase the sacred vote total, while complaining about how unfair the system is has the exact opposite effect.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Featured Pic - your view, literally! - Reply to topic