Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - American Idol - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Showcase

Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:36 pm   Reply with quote         

EJH wrote:
...However, the music she sings (and the music produced by American Idol) is boring and mediocre. Razz

Oh come now...I have two girls wanting most of all to reach the glorious age of 13 and Kelly Clarkson is heard many an hour, night and day, at the Showcase house. They seem to like it....alot.

And you make it sound like we dont have to idolize the winner? is this true? Razz

I guess the guts of the matter is that Im not the most musicly diverse human being on the planet so Im easily entertained. Besides, You should hear that grey haired guy ReyRey spoke of...not a Clarkson wanna be at ALL!

EJH

Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:10 pm   Reply with quote         

showcase wrote:
Oh come now...I have two girls wanting most of all to reach the glorious age of 13 and Kelly Clarkson is heard many an hour, night and day, at the Showcase house. They seem to like it....alot.

I think it's fine for a 13-year-old girl to like Kelly Clarkson. Or anyone else for that matter. It's just not my musical taste.

Generic pop music aside... one of the things about American Idol that I object to most is the attitude of a lot of the contestants. The sense of entitlement that so many of them have-- that because their mother or best friend (diplomatically) told them they have a nice voice and can "be anything they want to be" that they deserve a record contract. That because it's their dream to be a famous singer, and they want it so badly, that that should be enough-- even though they can't carry a tune.

Showcase

Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:21 pm   Reply with quote         

EJH wrote:
Generic pop music aside... one of the things about American Idol that I object to most is the attitude of a lot of the contestants. The sense of entitlement that so many of them have-- that because their mother or best friend (diplomatically) told them they have a nice voice and can "be anything they want to be" that they deserve a record contract. That because it's their dream to be a famous singer, and they want it so badly, that that should be enough-- even though they can't carry a tune.

unfortunately, I guess I get a kick out of other people's stupidity. It makes mine seem so much less! Very Happy

now stop or you're gonna make me cry! Wink

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:34 pm   Reply with quote         

My wife and daughter love that show beyond all realm of reasonableness. I don't care much for it for the simple reason that the early stages of the show are cruel.

The contestants on the show go to a cattle call audition before they ever get before Paula, Simon and Randy. At the cattle call a panel of judges decide whether or not to let the person go before the industry know-it-alls.

So this means that the cattle call judges are deliberately letting hopelessly untalented people through for the sheer purpose of being laughed at by the viewing public. That's probably why the contestants have such viceral reactions to the let down they're given.

The producers of the show are probably telling the cattle call judges to watch out for the particularly bad singers so that they can go through. I'll bet there's even a quota.

I rarely watch the show but when I do it's usually when it comes down to the final 4-6 contestants. That's when it actually becomes a talent show in my opinion.

Love or hate pop the show does bring some great voices to the public in the end. It's just that the better voice doesn't always win...

Oh, and I know that someone's going to argue that the contestants know what they're in for when they sign-up to be on the show. That's true. But I still don't think it's appropriate to deliberately set people up for failure and ridicule.

My $.02 (US).

Showcase

Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:11 pm   Reply with quote         

Showcase wrote:
any other fans of the show?

oooohkaaaaaay...
I'll take that as a big fat NO!

thanks for ruining my hopes and dreams people.

I was hoping that I would at least get a "HOOOORAY!!" from that new kid Tobini or something.

Wink

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:17 pm   Reply with quote         

Get Kelly on the line....

ring--------ring----------holding

....Hey, Kelly, can you chop???

Queen La Tiff

Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:17 am   Reply with quote         

Not for the first time, I'm agreeing with EJH

FootFungas

Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:14 am   Reply with quote         

the first part is the best.. the rest is kinda boring

Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:17 am   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
There are two kinds of people in this world. Ones who watch American Idol, and those that won't admit it. Laughing

that is so true Laughing Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - American Idol - Reply to topic