Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Restore old pictures - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

wendysmurfie

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:46 am   Reply with quote         

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anyone know's how to get the color back in old photographs. Not black and white (would be cool to, but that's not wat i need now), but that pictures wich turned all yellow. I am working on a digital photoalbum, and i would like to improve some pictures before i put them on the cd. I tried to take yellow out but it effects on the whole picture. Yesterday i downloaded a trial of a program called "BlackMagic" in wich you can create full color photo's from just black and white or bring colors back in old photos in a very easy way.... nice program but it doesn't help me like i wanted it to. Maybe the program can do more but i rather do it myself as it will improve my photoshop skills.

Here's one of those images click for larger image:

Any experts here for this kind of photoshopping?

Thanks in advance

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:05 am   Reply with quote         

wendysmurfie

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:45 am   Reply with quote         

i was wondering what the elbow grease was for.... now i know Laughing
So i have read the entire topic, every page of it. To bad a lot of pictures are not there anymore. I think best thing to do is to make image grayscale, then adjust the contrast to where i think the image is good, learn how to make complex selections, and then just try. Confused

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:58 am   Reply with quote         

Wrong thread comment...sorry Confused

wendysmurfie

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:56 am   Reply with quote         

blue what do you mean?? What's a rondo?

If you mean the picture, that's my mom while pregnant of me Laughing so it's 70's not 40's.. 1979 exactly. Wink

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:31 am   Reply with quote         

Sorry Smurfychick wrong thread post...hey give me a break its getting past my bed time... Laughing

TheShaman

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:59 am   Reply with quote         

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4936/mompaintfix0tx.jpg

that was a really rough picture to work with Wendy, I only spent 15 min on it....
could have spent all day with color correction / color balance. masks and the like. but im not being paid Laughing

mostly I just did some color balance tweaks, and overlay with a crisp B&W that I did as well.

do some googles on 'restoring photographs in photoshop' there should be some good tuts on how to accomplish what youre looking for Wink

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:07 am   Reply with quote         

hey shaman, thanks for showing it can be done... never new those pillows had different colors hahaha Laughing I just have to take time to fix it, cause i dont want to pay you for doing it so i have to learn myself Wink

Thanks!

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:18 am   Reply with quote         

lol I wouldnt ask you to pay me I just wanted to try. some photos are much easier than others to do. this one would take alot of time and care... good luck wendy, it can be done, if youre patient enough

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:22 am   Reply with quote         

Wendy,
Here is a good book: Photoshop-Restoration & Retouching by Katrin Eismann
Either 2nd or 3rd edition will work..

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:38 pm   Reply with quote         

Before changing it to B&W and trying to work with a B&W to recolor it do this.

Surely you are familiar with your primary colors and the color wheel. To reverse some of the red or yellow color that have occured, you can apply the color from the opposite side of the wheel.

All I did was created a new layer on top of the photo, then filled it with a green color......(the hue and saturation will differ, and is something you will have to play with to tell how dark it should be.)
Anyway, I went into my blending modes and selected linear burn (it gave the best appearance) , then I merged the layers and did an auto color and contrast and here is how it looks. I did this in 2 minutes, and know it's not perfect, but it is something you should try to play with.

Play with different hues and settings, you'll be surprised what a difference it can make.

jerry717

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:08 pm   Reply with quote         

Hi Wendy

To begin correcting that image is actually quite simple. I did a very quick beggining for you using the following techniques. I did not do any retouching I just corrected the tonal range and started to correct the color. The whole operation of what I did took less than 2 minutes to do and you can easily duplicate it. Here is what I did.

A) I picked two points in the image. A dark and a light point. I chose the highlight at the upper left of the ashtray on the coffee table and placed a ref point. I placed another ref point on the shadow area just to the left edge and below the table.

B) I applied a curves correction using only the eye dropper tools in the curves function. The eye dropper tool to the far right was used to click on the image at the selected highlight ref point with a RGB setting of 250,250,250. You can set this value by double clicking the highlight eye dropper tool. I used the shadow eye dropper to set a RGB value of 7,7,7 by clicking at the shadow ref point. Set this value the smae as above by double clicking the shadow eyedropper tool.

C) I converted the Image to the Lab colorspace and applied a Shadow/Highlight correction with a low setting to even out the luminance. This correction was applied only to the L channal.

D I applied another curve correction to the L channal by standing up the curve at the dark end to add a bit of contrast and then applied a move to the b channel pushing the center point of the curve upward to correct for the slight reddish cast.

E) I converted the Image back to sRGB and saved it.

As stated I did not do any retouching or masking and the correction took less then 2 minutes to do. From here you can do anything you wish to make further corrections.

Here are the results of what I did.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/jerry717/begincorrection.jpg

Hope this helps. If you have further questions or are confused by what to do, PM me and I'll help as much as I can.

Jerry

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:15 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey Wendy,

I didn't do jack squat to the photo. That is all.

Tofu

arcaico

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:19 pm   Reply with quote         

hey Wendy

I did the same as Tofu

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:26 pm   Reply with quote         

Jerry is the master of color so listen to him. He knows his shit!

Thanks for that quick summary Jerry.
I'm gonna have to try that out

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Restore old pictures - Reply to topic