Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Welcome Center - Star in our midst - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

TofuTheGreat

Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:14 am   Reply with quote         

nancers wrote:
I hate it when people try to influence me.

Please accept my apology nancers. I'm not trying to influence. I'm just trying to point out a relatively unknown member. Are you offended by the Chopper Profile threads too?

Micose wrote:
I agree ... adverts,commercials are not good...just may be help people in this situation by commenting on pic.... by the way i foind he has regular votes (his entries are late, so ...normal thing...(it's better work in 1 or 2 hours not more without advantage for votes.)..and there is the pleasure too to make a good work without thinking "votes" but awarded with good comments...

This is why I like the post-contest comments feature. I've noticed that his entries are late but (to me) they are very good and worthy of viewing. I can't possibly be the only one that knows that the majority of the members here don't look at a contest on day 3. This is why I point out bowdey.

Bowdey doesn't appear to be here for the votes (late entries, no forum participation, haven't seen him when I've gone into chat, who knows about PMs though). Whether bowdey is an alias for one of the gurus here or a new member is irrelevant. Whether the work is done with PS is irrelevant as well.

I just wanted to point out someone doing some quality image work. I'm not asking people to vote for him (everyone votes for who/what they want anyway). I see no difference between pointing out a member's portfolio and pointing out a website of a digital artist.

clantoncs

Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:46 am   Reply with quote         

I'm with you, Tofu. I didn't see this as an advert for Bowdey. I've almost missed a few of his pics.
Where's my star amongst us post? just kidding.

mikey

Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:47 pm   Reply with quote         

Who in the World do you think you are? a superstar? well right, you are!... Cool

aliased

Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:07 am   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:

Of course it's alright to use software like the GIMP or PSP, but we're talking about 3D software here. A good render will blow a dimensionally challenged artist like me out of the water when it comes to making a pretty image but is has little to do with chopping. Of course everyone is free to vote for what they like, but I think voters don't realize that they are voting for a 3D render when they comment on the clean work, excellent lighting and perspective change.

Bowdey wrote:

i stink at 3D so i keep it simple.

Bowdey is a modest person if he can model scenes like these.
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/96918/lawn-bowling.html
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/95922/crayons.html
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/95303/cologne-drawer.html
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/96367/mouse-hole.html
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/95762/mixed-drink.html

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:17 am   Reply with quote         

aliased wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:

Of course it's alright to use software like the GIMP or PSP, but we're talking about 3D software here. A good render will blow a dimensionally challenged artist like me out of the water when it comes to making a pretty image but is has little to do with chopping. Of course everyone is free to vote for what they like, but I think voters don't realize that they are voting for a 3D render when they comment on the clean work, excellent lighting and perspective change.

Confused The only renderer I've ever used was POVRay (I think that's what it was called). But regardless of the tool I still think you need to have some skills with it and the imagination to come up with the final product (two things I fight with Laughing).

I'm not trying to invalidate your viewpoint. I think it's very valid that you point out that different tools can give different results (and at different speeds). But I will quote something I saw in the FAQ a long time ago.

The FAQ wrote:
Edit it as you see fit then return to this same contest and upload it ...

So, for me anyway, the tools used don't matter. I vote on the end result. If I like it I vote for it regardless of how easy it was to do. As you said though each person here is free to vote as they wish.

Again I just started this thread to point out someone that I felt was creating some great images. I wanted to point them out not only because they weren't getting many views (because those entries are late) but also because bowdey doesn't seem to join in on the forums and chat so others may not know about him.

Maybe I shouldn't have put in the part about saving votes for the later entrants. Confused

Mea culpa on that part.

Meaty

Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:13 pm   Reply with quote         

I think postwork is very often cast aside when something 3d is submitted. And i think its about time postwork was recognised for what it is. So next time you see something thats been made in a 3d program, dont just dismiss it, take a good hard look and see the postwork thats gone into the piece first.

Micose

Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:03 pm   Reply with quote         

i can't bear this topic anymore ....
aliased

Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:04 pm   Reply with quote         

(I'm sorry Micose, I'll keep it short. Wink )

Things we agree on:
- There is no rule against the use of 3D software at PSC.
- It takes skills to create a good 3D render. (I've tried it and I truly stink.)
- Bowdey creates very nice images.
- Postwork is a vital part of 3D.

My points:
- PSC is about image manipulation, 3D rendering is not.
- The challenges of 3D are very different from 2D, so comparing them is like apples and oranges.
- Many people mistake a 3D render for a 2D manipulation and value it accordingly.
- Most voters did not vote for postwork.

One thing though:
- I seem to be the only one who sees a problem here. Confused

Goat1981

Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:51 pm   Reply with quote         

I love bowdey's work. I don't care what programs are used. Smile

Michel

Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:35 pm   Reply with quote         

Why would entries containing not a trace of source be allowed, even if they can be saved in jpeg format Question

Well, ok; the answer : because they can't really be banned.

But while we are at it, why not allow entries saved in Flash format (.swf) Question

deshone

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:36 am   Reply with quote         

I am with you Aliased ... i am on your side Smile

It's so tru that alot of people don't see what has been done in a chop and rate a chop way to high. And i am not talking about Bowdey's work alone.

wendysmurfie

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:44 am   Reply with quote         

I have to agree with aliased, deshone and michel. Bowdeys work is awesome to look at, he makes beautifull things that i agree on. I voted for him several times. I thought: wow this guy is so good with photoshop! Shocked. When reading this topic i started to think different about his chops. Not that they are no good, cause they realy are.. but if i am understanding this he does not always use the source. Other psc members got in trouble when they did not use the source, as i can remember some realy long comment story's! Laughing

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:55 am   Reply with quote         

Thanks Michel, Desh, Wendy.

You're right Desh, many people just vote for a pretty picture and don't try to see how it was made. Some choppers take advantage of that. At least Bowdey isn't lying about it.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Welcome Center - Star in our midst - Reply to topic