Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Tutorial Contest - Reply to topic

clantoncs

Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:07 pm   Reply with quote         

This thread will probably die with only one post, but it would be great if this works...

Most of the tutorials I read on the internet are utter crap. The tutorials here are some of the best and most useful ones I've seen. They're always clear, explain a lot, are actually useful, and just pretty well written. The foundation of my psc knowledge comes from the users here.

So how about making some new tutorials. We can make it a contest or whatever since you guys like that sort of thing. I'd really love to get a small lesson from some of the badasses here! So how about it? Who can make the best tutorial?

To sweeten the deal...
The winner of the contest will be sent a "Winner's Package" direct from China! I'm not talking about the usual plastic goods and clothes that you see all the time in America... no no no. Something cool, and unique, and cultural. Something so friggin' awesome it will BLOW YOUR MIND. Something so amazing, I can't even type what it is yet, for fear of damaging my computer... something so, ok.. you get the picture.

So teach us!

clantoncs

Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:27 pm   Reply with quote         

My tutorial is very simple. I don't know any totally cool PSC trick, but I did discover this today...

Fade (Filter)

Usually, I would never use a filter in this contest because it doesn't take any skill to use. I also would avoid it because it looks so "filter-y" for lack of a better word. I always wished there were some sort of Filter Opacity slider or something.

Alack! There is something even better. After applying a filter, under the edit menu a new choice has appeared: Fade (whatever filter you just used). It allows you to not only make that filtery-look a lot less filter-y, but also allows blending modes to make it look more realistic. You can do this with every filter, and it usually creates a pretty neat artsy-effect.

For my fellow newbies, here is a visual guide to make this clear!

1) Open your Picture

we'll use this one, a recent contest.

2) Apply a filter from the filter menu

3) Go to edit -> Fade Find Edges... or hit (ctrl-shift-f)

4) play around with the blend mode and the opacity until you get what you want.

Find Edges Filter with exclusion

Photocopy Filter with normal

Sumi-E with luminosity

-------

Like I said, I don't think filters are appropriate for this contest. Usually on their own, they look stupid and fake anyway. You can create some cool effects, though, by playing with the hidden fade option. Note, you must do the fade immedietly after the filter-- you can't do it later.

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:41 am   Reply with quote         

More then 1 post, hehe... Anywayz? cn I submit an old tutorial I wrote?... just don't have the time now to write a new one (and to be honest no idea too :p )

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:09 am   Reply with quote         

clantoncs wrote:
I always wished there were some sort of Filter Opacity slider or something.

if more than one layer, group them in a layer set, duplicate it, flatten it, apply the filter to it and slide down layer opacity.

What did i win???

splodge

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:18 am   Reply with quote         

Micose

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:54 am   Reply with quote         

yea the fade tab.... is the thing i use the most
FootFungas

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:12 am   Reply with quote         

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Tutorial Contest - Reply to topic