Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Featured Pic - Since I feel the need to speak on today's entry... - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:45 pm   Reply with quote         

Since I feel the need to speak:
1. There was a reason, an artistic reason, I didn't take the roof of the mall off.
2. There was a reason, an artistic reason, I left the rail as it was.
3. If you don't care for the composition, please do not comment on the composition.
4. if you don't care for the composition, please do not vote for the composition.

It's become evident that artistic merit no longer carries any weight around the voting booth. If all you want to see from me is a "cutesy, colorful, generic" chop...you're looking at the wrong entry. Go look at someone else's.
To those who voted strictly from an artistic viewpoint, I thank you. To those that didn't vote for me, I'm glad someone else got the extra vote.

I don't chop for votes. I chop for me.

That should be evident.

Heinlein

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:47 pm   Reply with quote         

I agree with you 101%

splodge

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:50 pm   Reply with quote         

Question

Hallcross Toots
ScionShade

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:42 pm   Reply with quote         

Did you know that almost every image entered in a contest ...doesn't win?

Showcase

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:48 pm   Reply with quote         

digitalpharaoh wrote:
1. There was a reason, an artistic reason, I didn't take the roof of the mall off.

artisticly, I just dont see it...
can you explain the artistic reason why you chose to leave the roof and the rail as it was?
cuz...Im stupid.

ScionShade

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:48 pm   Reply with quote         

It's ok. I used to be wrong all the time when I got comments
back in the day. I got it comin'.
Homage to the Ol' Schoolers.
They was right.

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:52 pm   Reply with quote         

Showcase wrote:
digitalpharaoh wrote:

artisticly, I just dont see it...
can you explain the artistic reason why you chose to leave the roof and the rail as it was?
cuz...Im stupid.

If I have to explain it, then you will not be able to see it.
If you cannot see it, that's your mind's interpretaion. It doesn't matter if you cannot see it.

ScionShade

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:52 pm   Reply with quote         

You do realize I only said something cause it was winning.
Some people do take chopping serious, and really, it is unfair when they work hard at this and soemthing simple wins-OHOHOH__ wait a second-- I didn't say something simple and clever, or exceptionally intuitive.or exceptionally funny.
I said simple...just plain ol' simple..and IMHO when that actual source doesn't even get chopped aside from saturation and a resize...well.

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:57 pm   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
You do realize I only said something cause it was winning.
Some people do take chopping serious, and really, it is unfair when they work hard at this and soemthing simple wins-OHOHOH__ wait a second-- I didn't say something simple and clever, or exceptionally intuitive.or exceptionally funny.
I said simple...just plain ol' simple..and IMHO when that actual source doesn't even get chopped aside from saturation and a resize...well.

And if it was winning and it was simple...so what?
Sometimes the most beautiful things are the most simple things.
It's not like I was trying to take votes away from someone who spent 10 hours on a chop of this dammed mall.
I made an image that I liked.
Hell, i even commented NOT to vote on it.
Not my fault that people did.
And yes, some people do take chopping very seriously. I take chopping very seriously. I just tend to be more inclined to do "moody, artsy" entries with the source pic than most.
Again, if you don't want to vote, it's simple...DON'T.

ScionShade

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:05 pm   Reply with quote         

digitalpharaoh wrote:

And if it was winning and it was simple...so what?
Sometimes the most beautiful things are the most simple things.

I couldn't make it any clearer than I already did--
If it were simple and beautiful, and/or if the source was manipulated at all..
nothing would be said.
It's an ok chop, surely it's good for some votes, but winning?
This IS a contest.

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:11 pm   Reply with quote         

You know, I could sit here all night and debate the most ridiculous things with some of the most ridiculous people, but I won't.

No one was forced to vote for this entry. No one.

If all a few people at PSC want to do is debate whether a chop is "worthy", then by all means, go right ahead.

I've said my peace on the inane comments left on my entry for today. I won't waste my thoughts on saying more.

I will no longer be a part of it.

I already have enough issues in my life without one of the few things that gives me a break from all of that becoming another.

ScionShade

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:21 pm   Reply with quote         

Heinlein wrote:
I agree with you 101%

I used to feel the same way.
I used to argue my points when someone left me less than favorable comments.
Then I realized, even though I never won, and often did miserably,that there were still a
lot of people that gave me votes for trying, for improving...even though I was such an ass about critiscism.Will always appreciate that people did that.
This IS a contest, and no matter how jealous I was, or how great i thought my chops were, or how they had artisticly deep messages that too few people "GOT"..
they were not good enough to win.
Now I chop for myself, and what votes I get.I get. I believe they are about what an image deserves.Noone ever said you have to go for a win everyday,that's not only
hard, it can stop being fun pretty fast.
So, I sympathize w/ you guys, and all those that think this is all about being friendly, and fun, but criticism does belong, this IS a contest, and fair is fair.

ScionShade

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:22 pm   Reply with quote         

digitalpharaoh wrote:
You know, I could sit here all night and debate the most ridiculous things with some of the most ridiculous people, but I won't.

No one was forced to vote for this entry. No one.

If all a few people at PSC want to do is debate whether a chop is "worthy", then by all means, go right ahead.

I've said my peace on the inane comments left on my entry for today. I won't waste my thoughts on saying more.

I will no longer be a part of it.

I already have enough issues in my life without one of the few things that gives me a break from all of that becoming another.

Well, the comment section doesn't belong to you. Noone was actually talking to you-that was clear. If you don't like comments, don't read them.

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:44 pm   Reply with quote         

Yep...comments section's for comments...hopefully supportive and helpful ones.

Yes, there's 365 days of opportunity to win & no we can't win all the time, hell most of us barely any of the time.

What a lot don't understand is that people who have no wins get frustrated after awhile.
Everything Scion is saying is true...BUT he's got 3 wins and that takes the edge off of having no wins. Time is invested, comments and votes are involved...for what. We all strive for one thing...making an image others will find worthy for whatever reasons...funny, clever, cutesy, artsy, abstract, whatever.

This constant desire to improve and get recognition encourages most to do just that.

So, have patience, continue to give constructive criticism and learn to take it graciously. Yin and Yang...good balance will bring it all together.

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:44 pm   Reply with quote         

Since I regard both Scio and DP as friends, I withdraw my comments for friendship's sake.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Featured Pic - Since I feel the need to speak on today's entry... - Reply to topic